• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag review for a newish player

THansenite

I am fairly new so I have been enjoying trying a bunch of new discs. Usually, I throw multiple discs while playing a hole(always using my first disc for score though). I am learning how the flight characteristics are different between discs, but want to start tuning my bag a bit. As I said before, I am pretty new at the sport. I just started playing this summer and have about 15 rounds under my belt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Drivers:
DX Archangel (150; used) - My main driver disc. Flips easily and gets my best distance.
DX Archangel (170; new) - My other driver when I need a little more control in wind.
Pro Valkyrie (168; good) - Use sometimes in wind or for slight hyzers.
Star Valkyrie (150; new) - Just got this disc and am working on throwing it better
DX Wraith (169; good) - Into the wind driver. I can't quite flip it yet, but I throw it from time to time and when I have a short left dogleg.

Mids:
DX Skeeter (170; new) - Love this disc. My main mid disc and I also use it for longer putts.
DX Cobra (180, used) - I can control this disc a little better than the skeeter for floating mid shots.
DX Wolf (173; good) - Use this for straight or slightly anny shots. I can hold a line best with this disc.
DX Roc (174, new) - Just started learning this disc and am learning how to control it.

Putters:
Magnet (171; used) - I tend to use this more in the wind. It feels heavier and like I have more control over it when windy.
DX Aviar (173; new) - Floats nice and straight on calm days.

It's refreshing to see a new players bag with understable as opposed to fast overstable discs. Though I'm not crazy about your disc selection. If you haven't already, read this whole thread http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=640

Now a few questions to consider...

What do you want out of the game?

Some people (myself) want to improve exponentially, quickly and play competitively. If that's what drives you to post here on DGR then the suggestions will be swayed in one direction.

Are you wealthy?

This is a serious question. Some of the folks here may have forgotten the joy new/different discs can bring to a new player. For many, much of the initial love of disc golf is getting that new plastic and learning what all the different discs do. Trying new discs and buying the latest and greatest will do two things: it will reduce your bank account and hinder your growth in skill. Still, if money isn't an issue, you enjoy trying new things and being the best you can be isn't all that important to you, go ahead. You can always trade and buy used to keep the cost down. You'll have fun in the process and you'll be pouring money into the disc golf industry. That's not a bad thing. Don't forget though, you'll also be slowing down your potential rate of improvement. Learning with fast overstable discs can cause you to develop poor form that you'll have to rectify down the road in order to break a plateau. If that's not what you want, read on.

Putter - pick one and stick with it. Some of the best putters in the world putt with the magnet, some with an aviar. Find which one feels better in your hand and get duplicates of it.

Mid range- there's a reason the roc is the most popular disc in the world. It may not be best for beginners which is why most people learn on discs like a cobra or a shark. Eventually they move on to the roc. As you progress and learn quickly you'll likely be dropping the skeeter and the wolf. I'd suggest learning to love the disc you'll be throwing later on, now. Some might disagree with me on that but during your struggle you'll be simultaneously beating in the roc and creating one of the finer things in life. In the event you want to try other mid ranges, the buzzz and comet are other great choices.

As for drivers...the archangel doesn't get a lot of love here or anywhere else. It's great for beginners, younger players or people transitioning from ultimate but once you get the hang of throwing a golf disc, they become quite unpredictable. You're probably better off sticking with a slow driver that falls in the middle of stability. In other words, not the most understable (archangel) or the most overstable (firebird). I'd suggest trying a dx leopard, gazelle, or discraft's esp cyclone. This should be your workhorse driver. Hold on to the valks for now but I wouldn't be throwing them unless you're on a wide open hole. Learn to love your workhorse driver.

When acquiring new discs for a new player, I like to keep the weights relatively the same. Staying around 165g can't hurt. Having discs range from 175g to 150g can make things a little harder for your muscle memory in the beginning. As for types of plastic, it's best to start with the lowest grade plastic.

Again, if your motivation is to improve your game quickly, I'd keep your aviar, roc, and get a dx leopard (or one of the other fairway drivers mentioned) and just work with that for a few months. Put everything else (wraith, magnet, skeeter etc.) in the closet for a while and revisit once you're consistently throwing 275+ feet with your roc and 330+ with your driver.

Welcome to DGR.

Wow, thanks for the GREAT reply. You gave a very enlightening response and one that I will follow. I knew I had too many discs in my bag that would make me fall into bad habits of using the disc's characteristics instead of learning to control it like I should. Having the extra discs in my bag is nice so that I can throw multiple discs on a hole and try different things, but I'll start focusing on my putter, using my Roc, and getting a Leopard to throw. My drives aren't very good yet, but they have been slowly getting better. Thanks again for the great response. It is exactly what I was looking for.

yo Tyrant why did you put Comet in small letters?.....it's a really good disc.....especially if you play a lot of wooded courses

oh and TH drop all of your drivers (put them in the closet) and go buy a cyclone......put all of your mids in the closet except for the Roc and get a Comet to compliment

use the magnet

I played a super short course 9 hole twice over the past two days using just my Star Valk, Roc, and Aviar. I am playing my favorite course tonight after work which is a normal 18 that is somewhat difficult. I plan on using just those three disks so I'll see how I do. I'll have to see about getting a Leopard, Comet, and Cyclone with my next paycheck. Thanks guys.

really what?....i can't say i understand your response.....or are you saying my response was incoherent to begin with?.....if i'm writing after dark i can't promise anything