• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bagger !?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Move up! I suck i know it and have fun. If i caught you in the same divishion im in and was in the lead by 21 strokes i would watch out for a noob hyzer...... in all reality if its a pdga event and hes not current doesn't the td have the ability to see what his rating would be??????

in all reality if its a pdga event and hes not current doesn't the td have the ability to see what his rating would be??????
A future TD would. If that was his first event, the PDGA had no prior history to make a rating off of.

Like I said, one free pass.

If he likes embarrassing himself in this fashion, the OP could step it up a notch and try dominating one of the junior divisions, maybe see if he can make any little kids cry. :|

Why didn't I think of this? Time for me to sign up!

Double-bagger. Move up to advanced. We'll give you a pass for doing it once, after that move up to where you should be.

Also, get a PDGA number and stop using your lack of membership as a cover. "I don't know what my rating is so I'm going to play Rec" doesn't fly.

We have a local guy around here who does that. Nice enough guy but a cheapskate who doesn't care about screwing people over. He was told he has to move up next time.

Don't sandbag. Move up.

A future TD would. If that was his first event, the PDGA had no prior history to make a rating off of.

Like I said, one free pass.

If he's not a member, no future TD is necessarily going to have his history either. No membership number means there's no way to look him up for anyone. Maybe PDGA HQ has a search by name available on the backend of the database, but even then, there could be multiple entries under such a name and no guarantee of which ones are the player in question. But if he is known to the TD, then the TD will be able to identify his past events and thus figure out some semblance of an unofficial rating from them.

Bottom line is Rec and Intermediate are protected divisions...you have to have a rating below a certain level to play them. If you don't have a rating, then you have no real right to play there. Just because TDs usually give the benefit of the doubt to an unrated player when he chooses a protected division, the TD is under absolutely no obligation to do that for any player.

And given that the OP appears to have played a tournament in his home area, he's definitely not sneaking up on anyone, at least not anymore. A ~950 average in last year's event gives the TD all the justification he needs to bar the guy from Rec for sure. Probably Intermediate as well, though one could argue that three rounds averaging 950 could have simply been one lucky/hot weekend of golf and he's probably more like a 920ish player (which is right in the middle of Intermediate).

Sounds like the OP is between a rock and a hard place here. He wants the rights of a member without joining, but joining is likely going to put him back in the same predicament when he earns a rating that makes him undeniably ineligible for his preferred division.

Were I the TD of whatever event his guy wants to play, I'd offer a compromise of sorts...either remain a non-member and play in Advanced, sign up for the PDGA and be allowed to play in Intermediate, or don't play at all. My thinking is that if he's willing to sign up and get an official rating, let him have a crack at Intermediate this one time. If he's right and he's not as good as that first tournament indicated, no harm (he'll probably not finish near the top). If he's wrong and he really is as good as he showed, then his rating will reflect it, he'll have to play where the rating dictates, and this whole issue goes away.

My 3rd tournament i played intermediate. It was Harbin CCS with 40 degree rain/sleet. worst day that i could play disc golf. I won intermediate. My next tournament was my first pdga rated tournament at Lincoln Ridge with the ice bowl. I took 4th place and shot 2 rounds of 936. My next tournament was Osage Grove disc golf series #1. I was told by the TD that my rating of 936 would make me play advanced. So i did, low and behold i won advanced and took 1st place. I shot a 948 and a 968 if i am not mistaken. There is no way i can compete in intermediate. I would be yelled at by all the intermediate guys. I am actually happy to play in my correct division so i know how i compare to the people in my division. Right now Ryan McMath seems to be pretty darn good competition for me.

So all in all you have played several rounds that have been rated. Until you prove yourself to be a bad player and your rating goes down then you have to play in the division that you are rated for. Otherwise it is unfair for the other people in that division. Its like Cyrus Furhman to come play advanced. He would kick all of our butts. Sorry Cyrus if i spelled your last name wrong.

We do the same thing JC recommends. If we have info on a player we will restrict division choices based on that info. If they sign up for the PDGA then they are a non-rated member and can play in their chosen division until an official rating is attached to them and says so otherwise.

I'm not a PDGA member but in the few tournaments I've played in the TD always asks what do you normally shoot on this course, then he/she puts me in the closest division. Sounds like the OP wasn't truthful saying "oh I shoot +25 on this course" knowing he gets par or better on every hole.

I can be feeling really bad that day and lose my entry fee.

Your entry fee payed for you to play rounds of golf. I wish players would stop looking at entry fees as if they are an investment.

Move up. Play with better players and you will get better.

Also, if walking up a few stairs leaves you out of breath you may want to consider exercising.

Easy there, thumber. There are things in this world called medical conditions. I can't say whether or not op suffers from one but I'm sure you've heard of them.

Either way op, you should not be treating this as a guaranteed investment. There are other people you are stomping on to feel gratified.

Easy there, thumber. There are things in this world called medical conditions. I can't say whether or not op suffers from one but I'm sure you've heard of them.

Either way op, you should not be treating this as a guaranteed investment. There are other people you are stomping on to feel gratified.

Fair enough

The thing is, most of those guys the OP beat in Rec last year have probably already moved up to MA2 or maybe even higher if they were really dedicated.

I hate being called a bagger, and I get it a lot on here and in CO because I've been playing for so many years. I'm rated 860 because I'm really not very good, but I try to play MA2 or even MA1 if it's a course I know really well.

Point is: I've never won a PDGA event. And I don't care. Because I'm there to have fun, meet new players and compete against people that I know are as good or are better than me. That makes me a better player in the long run.

OP: you played one tournament and are rated for MA1. If you play anything but that, while not getting a PDGA membership...then YES you are a bagger. You are the actual definition of a Sandbagger.

I played in the Rec division and won by 21 strokes, but the big issue is I beat Intermediate by 10 strokes!

............... What you think, Bagger or Haters ?

Like everyone else says, without a rating to restrict you, I suppose you're welcome to play whatever division you like. The term "bagger" is overused, for sure...

But the term "lightweight" is one I'm all for getting thrown around more. Competing in a division where you know you can dominate when there're higher divisions with players competeing at your skill level is just lightweight. I just don't get it.

I don't mean to be offensive, though I probably am. Dominating in rec gets neither my hate, nor my respect, basically.

Another thread filled with dumb answers.

If you dont know where you fit or its your first tournament you play Rec. Its not your fault others in your division played poorly. Thats the mixed bag of Rec. Then your rating changes and puts you in another division. If under 935 play Intermediate. Again, not your fault that the Int division played poorly in that tournament. Ive played people that shot 970 rated rounds but are 890 rated. The problem is that in that tournament they play 890 golf. They belong in Rec. I dont care if they have 1 tournament round @990 they are rec because they will throw a couple 840 rated rounds in, lol. It is almost impossible to effectively sandbag in disc golf. You are rated and you cannot play in protected divisions.

People learn what sand bagging is!

It is purposly affecting your rating so that you can play in the division lower than your skill level. That is very costly and time wasting. If you are 950 rated and tank enough tournaments on purpose to get to 934 just to win in intermediate...lol...well take your 2 disc payout. You've donated enough...btw...ive never heard of that happening it is so rare and silly.

Playing in the division you are allowed to is not sandbagging. Winning by 10 strokes means absolutly nothing. You can average 900 rounds and win Intermediate by 10 strokes in some areas. Results have nothing to do with where you choose to play. My advice...go burn up Rec until your rating changes.

Yeah, 1978...what a bunch of dummies we are. I guess you didn't notice that he isn't a PDGA member, therefore doesn't have a rating.

I have little to do with sanctioned play, but giving him another chance to show what he's actually capable of seems fair to me. My limited experience with tournament play is that lower level players generally don't go to tournaments to win, and the person that does win is probably improving faster than his rating, so "true" rec players rarely win and usually don't care whether they do or not. It's probably worth encouraging a decent player to play tournaments and sign up for the PDGA when the only down side is him winning rec twice.

First off, the fact that you came on here and outted yourself is funny. You know damn well you should move up. I hate disc golfers like you. People like you are why people think disc golfers are a bunch of jerks. You should be ashamed of yourself. You and others like you always use the "i'm playing my rating card" but then you won't sign up for the PGDA and get a rating. Playing a casual round is fun. Playing tournaments is another level. The only people who talk about playing for fun are the people who are getting their asses whooped. No true competitor thinks about fun when theirs something at stake. So to all the people who are agreeing with you to play rec; you and them should all have one big casual round together. Why are people so afraid of losing to people better than them? No true competitor has ever complained about a good old fashioned ass kicking. They will tell you that it was the best thing for them. It always makes them better.
Secondly, please don't ever use that lame excuse of your health. You need to go put your head in the sand for even taking the time to type that bulls*** out. Disc golf is the best way to get your health back in tact. If you can't walk up steps then you need to get healthier. Good grief! Your statements are an embarrassment to everyone who's trying and advocating for the advancement of this sport. Please tell me you didn't go around bragging to people about winning a rec tournament by 21 strokes. Geeezzz!
Do yourself a favor and salvage your dignity. Move your ass up and play competitive. If I was the TD i would call for a public stoning if you tried that crap with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.