• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Baiting" in tournaments

Surprised to see 8 pages of this topic...What happened to playing your game and letting the score card do the talking? Someone that needs to make comments about another player's skill set has obvious problems of their own. Play your game and move on.

^^That is nonsense. Why would you get a 2 stroke penalty for them not signing it? There is no such penalty. There is a 2 stroke penalty for incorrectly adding up your score.

Also this is kind of a silly thread since the guy the OP was talking about was just probably trying to be funny and ease the tension of the card (after the OP previously announced to everyone on the card that he was really a Rec player I assume) and then the OP later talks about how he baits people.

Lesson - Its ok when you do it, but when someone does it to you the proper response is to get kind of upset about it and post on a message board.

I try to be super encouraging to everyone on my card. My theory is for the next couple hours these guys are my buddies and I would prefer for everyone to do well with me coming out just ahead.

Example:

OP: First drive hits a branch
Tim:I don't think you landed too bad (regardless if it's true). You will have no problem getting up and down from there!

Also this is kind of a silly thread since the guy the OP was talking about was just probably trying to be funny and ease the tension of the card (after the OP previously announced to everyone on the card that he was really a Rec player I assume) and then the OP later talks about how he baits people.

Lesson - Its ok when you do it, but when someone does it to you the proper response is to get kind of upset about it and post on a message board.

I try to be super encouraging to everyone on my card. My theory is for the next couple hours these guys are my buddies and I would prefer for everyone to do well with me coming out just ahead.

Example:

OP: First drive hits a branch
Tim:I don't think you landed too bad (regardless if it's true). You will have no problem getting up and down from there!

I don't need your charity when I have a bad drive!!!!:doh:
And i see we are only buddies because you beat me on a regular basis. :)

Didn't my optimism help you in your playoff win at the Ironwood Open (Questionable drive - Tim: No worries. You got this! No Problem at all.)? ;)

Next time we play I will even give you a "Boom goes the Dynamite" (even if its a bad drive).

^^That is nonsense. Why would you get a 2 stroke penalty for them not signing it? There is no such penalty. There is a 2 stroke penalty for incorrectly adding up your score.

That was the reason, however, since both just left and did not even check their scores, and, did not initial the card, I was left holding the bag:confused:

That's not your fault and it is certainly not a penalty if your score was added up correctly. I am in no way saying its your fault, or that it didn't happen. Just an example of bad TD'ing.

Yeah, it was the guys 1st time TDing a tourney (it turned out to be a much larger event than he anticipated). But hey, live and learn...

I moved out of rec as fast as i could could not stand the self absorbed douche bags who walk or talk when your driving or putting really pisses me off. or who falling putt every time and its this giant awkward situation when you have to be the one to call them out on it. i let that **** effect me once during a big 2 day torny cost me 10 strokes, next day i was 4 stokes ahead of the talkers. Also another torny i recently played i got the same **** from someone on top card int bracket, saying "hey i remember you didnt you do really bad at XXX torny" alot of these people will try to shark because they cant win by skill alone. im almost ready to pay more to play just to get better group dynamic and less scumbags. when im more consistant ill just play open, sure ill be the last dude on the card but its better than listening to crying bitches on am3/2

He said OK, then proceeded to give ME a 2 stroke penalty because I turned the card in w/out initials by the 2 DB's that left.

Seriously? The you have to initial your scorecard rule has been gone for a good while now and even then I believe it involved whether your initials were on it not everyone else on the card.

People seem to like to make up rules about scorecards. :doh:

Tourney's are like prison, it's best to beat somebody's ass the first day. Get you street cred and rep goin, or become somebody's bitch real fast, do you know what I am saying?

Do you know what I am sayin? You lay into the first sucker that makes a wise crack, and nobody be talkin smack no mo. Do you know what I am saying?

So when I meet you are you going to hit me? I don't wise crack until I'm really comfortable with someone but I would still prob. be the biggest guy in the yard. :( I don't like violence.

Id just wear my Kung Fu school's shirt. I dont think that they would start to trash talk me then. Especially a 6'3 dude wearing that. Lol In all reality it lies in your attitude. If you come off as not caring when you mess up, but still driven inside to do well then you probably wont be harassed. When you show your weakness is when it's feeding time. If you are still harassed give em your best back off look. It usually works for me.

If someone wants to act like as @$$, that is their own business. I just try and ignore it and play my game. That said, I will talk smack about my own shots all the time. "Well...that went well" or some variation thereof comes out of my mouth fairly regularly after shanked drives.

^^^well said harr.

thats why hockey is the best sport under the sun. ive played for 20 of my 24 years. if you want to talk some bullsh*t, you better back it up. period. nothing is left in the air. fighting holds the balance. maybe pdga should consider adapting it into the game, lol.

someone should tell roberto luongo

or maybe timmy and him should drop the gloves

I'm no stranger to trash talk, I played defensive line all through pop warner and high school, I can't think of a sport with more trash talk. This was just my first time seeing it in disc golf.

Girls softball... Have any of you guys seen the junior high and high school girls softball games...shameful.

So I played up in INT my first time saturday, and was introduced to (imo) one of the less appealing aspects of our sport, baiting. About 3 holes in, I threw a big hyzer drive, and caught some leaves on the back side of a tree, knocking my shot down. One guy on my card, who knew I was playing up, looks at me and says, "wow, you must be a rec player." I'll admit, it completely worked, I was pissed. But I realized how much that happens, at least at the "upper levels" around my area. Looking back on that round, I'm mad at myself for letting it get to me, but I will say, I'm no longer afraid to bait someone myself if need be.

What's everyone elses stance on "baiting"?

"well, looks like this rec player will be waiting for your ass in the parking lot after the first round"

Girls softball... Have any of you guys seen the junior high and high school girls softball games...shameful.

i agree with this statement. girls softball dugouts are unbearable