• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Banned by the Trilogy, but I still throw their plastic!

bradharris

Team Borderland
Silver level trusted reviewer
Despite a minor spat that got me banned from the fan club, I still really enjoy throwing Trilogy (also, I hate the term "trilogy," but it makes communication easier, so I'm going with it) plastic. Since not much of it has made it into my primary bag, I have put together a completely separate trilogy bag for casual play.

So, without further ado, here it is.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: ~11 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH and RHFH pretty evenly
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
  • Putter: 225/250
  • Midrange: 250/275
  • Driver: 330/360

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: A little bit of everything

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I definitely have all of my bases covered. When I started this last year, the trilogy lineup was somewhat limited, leaving me with some holes that were hard to fill. Now the lineup is much more complete and I have the opposite problem. Now I have a ton of overlap. This is somewhat by design, as I'm still trying several molds to fill specific slots.

Specific areas of desired feedback: As I've said, I have a lot of overlap. In many cases, that's done on purpose to try out different molds. I'll try to note that as much as possible. This is a work in progress still, so I'm interested in any and all feedback as I tweak the lineup. Refer to the link above to see what I normally throw.

The Bag: Latitude 64 Pro Bag

I wanted to keep the bag within the same branding as well, so the Pro Bag was a no-brainer. This is by far the best non-backpack bag on the market IMO.

Putters
  • Pures - I'm basically using Pures for everything. Opto and Zero Hard for drive and approach and TM2s for putting. I also have a Zero Medium that I'll be trying out for putting.
  • Sinus AP - When I need a little more fade than the Pures give me, I'll use the Sinus.
  • Zero Soft Spike - I rarely use this. I generally only use it for putts from outside the circle.

Mids
  • Opto Fuse - This is one of my favorite discs in the bag. I get really nice turnovers and can power down for laser beam straight shots.
  • Lucid Fugitive - Mildly understable. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to stick with this, I'm not finding a whole lot of usefulness with it. It's a little too understable to work as a primary mid, but not understable enough to compete with the Fuse.
  • Classic/Lucid Truth - I don't have a lot of experience with these yet, but I am really looking forward to working them out as my primary mids. The Lucid should hold its stability pretty well while the Classic can beat in to a nice compliment for standstill shots.
  • TP Warship - I've used this a bit without a whole lot of success. I'm not ready to give up on it though. It's only in the bag to compete with the Truths as a primary mid.
  • GL Mace - I haven't thrown it yet, so I don't know how I'll do with it. It's more of a dark horse for that primary mid spot. As a Buzzz thrower normally, I definitely prefer the feel of the Truth. But I'll keep it in the bag in the spring and maybe bang out a few Mace-only rounds to really get to know it.
  • BioFuzion Suspect - This one's a lot of fun to throw. If it wasn't for the Zone, I would have one in my primary bag.

Fairway Drivers
  • Rivers - I'm using the inconsistency of this mold to my advantage. I have an Opto Sparkle that is pretty stable. It holds a nice straight line with a bit of fade at the end. My Opto gives me a little more turn and is great for dead-straight flip-to-flat shots. And then there's the redshift GL which has seen quite a bit of use and has gotten very flippy.
  • BioFuzion Escape - This has been kind of a weird disc for me. It seems to turn a lot early and then fade really hard late. I can see where that would have some utility, but I don't have a whole lot of trust in it.
  • Opto Striker - I've had some moderate success with the Striker as a more overstable compliment to the River. I have had some inconsistency with it though, particularly on higher power throws.
  • TP Stag - I just picked this up and haven't thrown it yet. I got it to compete with the Striker.
  • Opto Trident - Primarily for forehand throws that I need to finish hard right.

Distance Drivers
  • GL Fury - I'm really liking this mold. It's nearly earned a spot in my primary bag (I have two, so I can use one in each). I get really nice distance when I have enough space to let it turn early and fade back late.
  • Lucid Renegade - This has already earned a spot in my primary bag as my main control driver. It serves the same purpose here, however, it has some competition...
  • TP/VIP Northman - I haven't thrown the VIP yet, but the TP seems to be a touch more understable than the Renegade. I can get some really good distance out of it, but I've had a bit of trouble keeping it controlled.
  • Opto Sparkle Saint - By design, this seems like it should be a bit more overstable than the Renegade. But in my experience, they actually fly fairly similar. I think the slanted rim has been giving me problems, I don't seem to get a consistent release. But every now and then I get one right and it really flies nicely for me.
  • Opto XXX - Gotta have a meathook in there.
    ------------------------------------------------
  • GL Havoc - This is my max D driver. It flips early to help squeeze a little extra distance out of its flight.
  • GL Halo - Compliments the Havoc for shots that I don't want to flip. I also have been able to shape some pretty nice forehand lines with the Halo.
  • Opto Villain - Forehand shots that need to go a long way before finishing to the right.

At some point in the spring, I'll be picking up a Saint Pro and Trespass to try out as well. Either of those could slide in between the Renegade/Northman/Saint and the XXX.

I'd call it more of an Overbearing, Let'sPatEachOtherOnTheBack, EverybodyElseSucks kinda club.

Bag looks like you have everything covered you just need to do some testing and narrow down the overlap. It's all preference to narrow down the overlap. You have something for every type of shot so it looks good.

the molds that are known to be inconsistent are tough to rely on for longevity as replacing lost/beat discs will be a pain.

Even though I just sold my Lat64 Pro Bag, I'd agree it's the best non-backpack bag. I just wanted something a that puts the weight a bit higher on my back.

Butchered your bloat. Just add a Saint Pro and you're done.

Putters
  • Pures - I'm basically using Pures for everything. Opto and Zero Hard for drive and approach and TM2s for putting. I also have a Zero Medium that I'll be trying out for putting.
  • Sinus AP - When I need a little more fade than the Pures give me, I'll use the Sinus.

Mids
  • Opto Fuse - This is one of my favorite discs in the bag. I get really nice turnovers and can power down for laser beam straight shots.
  • Classic/Lucid Truth - I don't have a lot of experience with these yet, but I am really looking forward to working them out as my primary mids. The Lucid should hold its stability pretty well while the Classic can beat in to a nice compliment for standstill shots.
  • BioFuzion Suspect - This one's a lot of fun to throw. If it wasn't for the Zone, I would have one in my primary bag.

Fairway Drivers
  • Rivers - I'm using the inconsistency of this mold to my advantage. I have an Opto Sparkle that is pretty stable. It holds a nice straight line with a bit of fade at the end. My Opto gives me a little more turn and is great for dead-straight flip-to-flat shots. And then there's the redshift GL which has seen quite a bit of use and has gotten very flippy.
  • BioFuzion Escape - This has been kind of a weird disc for me. It seems to turn a lot early and then fade really hard late. I can see where that would have some utility, but I don't have a whole lot of trust in it.
  • Opto Trident - Primarily for forehand throws that I need to finish hard right.
  • Saint Pro

Distance Drivers
  • Lucid Renegade - This has already earned a spot in my primary bag as my main control driver. It serves the same purpose here, however, it has some competition...
  • GL Halo - Compliments the Havoc for shots that I don't want to flip.

Putters
  • Zero Soft Spike - I rarely use this. I generally only use it for putts from outside the circle.

Putters are personal so if you like these stick with them obviously. If you can get out the spike I would say that's maybe good. Opto and hard pure plus the sinus for wind and more fade seems to have things covered to me.

Mids
  • Lucid Fugitive - Mildly understable. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to stick with this, I'm not finding a whole lot of usefulness with it. It's a little too understable to work as a primary mid, but not understable enough to compete with the Fuse.
  • TP Warship - I've used this a bit without a whole lot of success. I'm not ready to give up on it though. It's only in the bag to compete with the Truths as a primary mid.
  • GL Mace - I haven't thrown it yet, so I don't know how I'll do with it. It's more of a dark horse for that primary mid spot. As a Buzzz thrower normally, I definitely prefer the feel of the Truth. But I'll keep it in the bag in the spring and maybe bang out a few Mace-only rounds to really get to know it.

If you aren't digging the Lucid Fugitive I would lose it. You could stick a beat and new fuse in instead. I'd keep working at the truth. If you like how they feel and you want an OS mid cause the Mace isn't feeling or throwing right just do the truth/verdict combo and you can ditch the mace and warship easily. They're not bad molds but they're both roc style rims I think and both for me were no where near as consistent and predictable as the truth/verdict

Fairway Drivers
  • Opto Striker - I've had some moderate success with the Striker as a more overstable compliment to the River. I have had some inconsistency with it though, particularly on higher power throws.
  • TP Stag - I just picked this up and haven't thrown it yet. I got it to compete with the Striker.

Some overlap. If you don't click with the escape no need to keep it. The bio escape is my go to and I carry a few others in other plastics so there is a way you could maybe get it to work like your rivers if you wanted to invest more time and money trying others but might not be worth the effort.

Both the striker and stag were just not always reliably to me. You might like the saint pro better but I'm finding my opto isn't really that great for fighting much wind either. I'm probably going to ditch it soon and just go with another escape and use the trident more. I'd say investing in a saint pro to test is definitely worth it. Just don't count on it to hold up to big winds. Trilogy still needs a slower villain. Something like a speed 9 maybe 10 max that is flat and similar to a C-PD.

Distance Drivers
  • GL Fury - I'm really liking this mold. It's nearly earned a spot in my primary bag (I have two, so I can use one in each). I get really nice distance when I have enough space to let it turn early and fade back late.
  • TP/VIP Northman - I haven't thrown the VIP yet, but the TP seems to be a touch more understable than the Renegade. I can get some really good distance out of it, but I've had a bit of trouble keeping it controlled.
  • Opto Sparkle Saint - By design, this seems like it should be a bit more overstable than the Renegade. But in my experience, they actually fly fairly similar. I think the slanted rim has been giving me problems, I don't seem to get a consistent release. But every now and then I get one right and it really flies nicely for me.
  • Opto XXX - Gotta have a meathook in there.
    ------------------------------------------------
  • GL Havoc - This is my max D driver. It flips early to help squeeze a little extra distance out of its flight.
  • GL Halo - Compliments the Havoc for shots that I don't want to flip. I also have been able to shape some pretty nice forehand lines with the Halo.
  • Opto Villain - Forehand shots that need to go a long way before finishing to the right.

Lot of overlap here but I think you'll narrow it down a bunch with testing. I hated the northman. Gave it away to MikeC I think. It's flippy and doesn't fly like the numbers. If you already like renegades like myself you won't probably have any need for this. The boatman is actually the one that is a little OS.

Not a fan of the fury but if you like the mold they do pair good with the saint. Still some overlap in all of these with the renegade but overlap isn't always the same for everyone. Do you ever throw lighter bio renegades? I like to throw both the heavy lucid and a lighter bio because the bio turns more when new and beats in faster.

I use both a Havoc and Villain. Nice choices I think for a tailwind/headwind combo. I'd still try the Trespass like you intended you might find it is better than your havoc or halo. For me it falls in between those two. Not as flippy as a Havoc but not as high speed stable as the halo. More comfortable in the hand though. I hate the amount of slant and shallow rims on both the havoc and halo. Trespass will overlap with both somewhat. Might be able to replace both actually with a couple trespasses in different plastics. The hybrid or fuzions are a little more overstable than lucid.

Good luck

Last edited:
Putters are personal so if you like these stick with them obviously. If you can get out the spike I would say that's maybe good. Opto and hard pure plus the sinus for wind and more fade seems to have things covered to me.

As it is, I use the Spike pretty rarely. Maybe I just need to work on extending my range with Pures.

If you aren't digging the Lucid Fugitive I would lose it. You could stick a beat and new fuse in instead. I'd keep working at the truth. If you like how they feel and you want an OS mid cause the Mace isn't feeling or throwing right just do the truth/verdict combo and you can ditch the mace and warship easily. They're not bad molds but they're both roc style rims I think and both for me were no where near as consistent and predictable as the truth/verdict

Oh yeah, Verdict was also on my list to try in the spring.

As I see it, I'm going to end up with just one mold out of the Truth/Warship/Mace. The Truth has the huge advantage thanks to the more familiar profile.

Some overlap. If you don't click with the escape no need to keep it. The bio escape is my go to and I carry a few others in other plastics so there is a way you could maybe get it to work like your rivers if you wanted to invest more time and money trying others but might not be worth the effort.

Both the striker and stag were just not always reliably to me. You might like the saint pro better but I'm finding my opto isn't really that great for fighting much wind either. I'm probably going to ditch it soon and just go with another escape and use the trident more. I'd say investing in a saint pro to test is definitely worth it. Just don't count on it to hold up to big winds. Trilogy still needs a slower villain. Something like a speed 9 maybe 10 max that is flat and similar to a C-PD.

I do like throwing the Escape, I just haven't gotten a good feel for it. I have 2 of them in BioFuzion, so I'll keep working them a bit to get to know them better.

I'm looking forward to trying the Saint Pro, but I don't see it occupying the same role as a Striker or Stag. The other problem I have is that's filling the slot where I use a Teebird in my primary bag. The TB is probably my most trusted disc, so it's hard to find anything else that I'm comfortable with in that slot.

You talk about wind a lot, it's like you live in Kansas or something...Here in New England wind is not a huge factor.

I picked up a couple medium pures over the winter and I really like them so far putting in the basement. I'm hopeful they can replace my zero softs for putting and my aviars for some approach duties.
Let us know how you like the verdict. I've got a short list of OS mids I wouldn't mind trying and so far I've only snagged an MD3. Very curious about that Verdict.

I picked up a couple medium pures over the winter and I really like them so far putting in the basement. I'm hopeful they can replace my zero softs for putting and my aviars for some approach duties.
Let us know how you like the verdict. I've got a short list of OS mids I wouldn't mind trying and so far I've only snagged an MD3. Very curious about that Verdict.

I thought about putting in the basement this year, but I can get 15' at best. So I just stuck with playing video games all winter instead.

I never liked Zero Soft, it just feels a little too flimsy for me, even in the winter. So I was pretty pumped to try out the Medium. However, I still prefer the OOP TM2 Pures for putting. It has a nice soft feel while still holding some rigidity. I have a stack of 5 of them, so I should be set for a while on those.

I'll keep you posted on the Verdict. When I was in FL last week, I played with a guy who threw a Verdict. He was really liking it.

As it is, I use the Spike pretty rarely. Maybe I just need to work on extending my range with Pures.

Oh yeah, Verdict was also on my list to try in the spring.

As I see it, I'm going to end up with just one mold out of the Truth/Warship/Mace. The Truth has the huge advantage thanks to the more familiar profile.

I do like throwing the Escape, I just haven't gotten a good feel for it. I have 2 of them in BioFuzion, so I'll keep working them a bit to get to know them better.

I'm looking forward to trying the Saint Pro, but I don't see it occupying the same role as a Striker or Stag. The other problem I have is that's filling the slot where I use a Teebird in my primary bag. The TB is probably my most trusted disc, so it's hard to find anything else that I'm comfortable with in that slot.

You talk about wind a lot, it's like you live in Kansas or something...Here in New England wind is not a huge factor.

lol yeah it's been a pretty big factor here lately. It's hit or miss in winter and spring it's just nasty but then summer comes and it's hit or miss again. Usually no wind on the hottest days when you want it. Just nothing quite like a teebird really and not in the trilogy lineup. I think you'll settle on the truth and verdict but it's good to try out the rest to be sure you never know what you'll click with until you throw it. Saint Pro should be a little more high speed stable than the stag and striker but not a bunch more. I get a good S flight in headwinds but that's about the only time I go with it over an escape. Sounds like a makings of a good bag.

Just nothing quite like a teebird really and not in the trilogy lineup.

I don't expect to ever find something exactly like a Teebird unless it's made by Innova and says "Teebird" on it. I'm a big advocate for letting each mold show it's own style and finding the best ways to put that to use. In fact, it's that attitude that ultimately resulted in the ban hammer on FB.

Having said that, I still see that area (slow stable driver) as the biggest weakness in my lineup and the Trilogy lineup as a whole. I could see the Verdict and Saint Pro helping to extend into that slot to cover those shots though.

I think you'll settle on the truth and verdict but it's good to try out the rest to be sure you never know what you'll click with until you throw it. Saint Pro should be a little more high speed stable than the stag and striker but not a bunch more. I get a good S flight in headwinds but that's about the only time I go with it over an escape. Sounds like a makings of a good bag.

I think you're right. Truth, Verdict, Suspect, and Fuse could be a pretty deadly midrange lineup. Since the entire purpose of this bag is to play around with Trilogy plastic though, I'm happy to keep messing around with the other mids to give them a chance though.

I thought about putting in the basement this year, but I can get 15' at best. So I just stuck with playing video games all winter instead.

I never liked Zero Soft, it just feels a little too flimsy for me, even in the winter. So I was pretty pumped to try out the Medium. However, I still prefer the OOP TM2 Pures for putting. It has a nice soft feel while still holding some rigidity. I have a stack of 5 of them, so I should be set for a while on those.

I'll keep you posted on the Verdict. When I was in FL last week, I played with a guy who threw a Verdict. He was really liking it.

Ha, that's funny. I can get 16' in mine. I've never seen or touched the TM2 so I don't know what I'm missing, but I know what you mean about the softs. I had a few putts last summer that just burrito'd their way through the side of the cage. I think the mediums should hold up much better in the heat.

I've been using a Soft for my main putter for a while now. It doesn't feel floppy to me, but it definitely grips the basket better. No skip-outs.

I have a Medium and an Opto that I use for approaches and drives. I'll try the Medium out for putting when/if it every gets hot.....:mad:

I've been using a Soft for my main putter for a while now. It doesn't feel floppy to me, but it definitely grips the basket better. No skip-outs.

I have a Medium and an Opto that I use for approaches and drives. I'll try the Medium out for putting when/if it every gets hot.....:mad:

To be fair, I'm judging the softs based my experiences with soft Spikes. I haven't actually used a Soft Pure before, but I tend to prefer more firm discs. I never liked the really soft Vibram or Gateway stuff either.

You know what's really annoying about the Trilogy? That plastic is way too easy to buy!

When I went home last night and shuffled through my inventory, I found another Truth that I had forgotten about. It's a sweet swirly blue BioFuzion (see my instagram ^ for pics) that a picked up on a whim when I saw it on the rack a couple weeks ago.

So I actually have 3 different Truths to play around with. I'll be setting aside the Maces (I have a second one on the way...) and Warship to experiment with, but not keep in the bag.

So once I pick up a Verdict, my Trilogy midrange lineup will be: Verdict, Suspect, Truth x3 (Lucid, Bio, Classic), Fuse.