• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Banned from a private course resulting from a review on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I ever have a private course, it's going to be modeled like an old speakeasy...the really stellar holes (with all the perks like great signage and multiple concrete tees) will only be playable to those "in the know," and when some random Internet reviewer stops by I'll hit a switch and the baskets and tees will drop into the ground, replaced by shoddy rusty homemade targets, only wooden arrows for signage, and lumpy AstroTurf tees, so they'll all go review it poorly on the Internet and people will keep wondering about all the seemingly contradictory 5-disc reviews going up by the "insiders" and people will argue about it on disc golf message boards.

Can I be in the know? :confused:

Were I the reviewer whose banishment prompted this thread, I think I'd edit my review to add to the Cons:

"If you write a critical review of this course, may get banned from it. I was."

Were I the reviewer whose banishment prompted this thread, I think I'd edit my review to add to the Cons:

"If you write a critical review of this course, may get banned from it. I was."

i agree, i would find that info helpful :thmbup:

I would thumbs up that. Very helpful.

End of story the owner/creator of the course got very butthurt over nothing. The review was not over critical or anything like that. Dude sounds a lil crazy and ill tempered if anyone says anything but "OMG THIS IS SOOOOOOOO AMAZING BEST IS DAH WORLD"

World has too many cry babies.

Ok, I'll be the Dbag that defends the course owner. First of all the review tells virtually nothing about the course. No detail whatsoever. Then his caps button seems to be broke or something, or he simply didn't care enough to take the time to do a decent review. Then he lists challenging as a con. WTF is that?? My guess is that he got destroyed by a tough course and decided to vent on a review. Oh yeah, and bugs might be bad sometimes?? Another great comment. I think we could assume that for any course not in a freaking desert. My 11 year old could have written a better review.

I stopped by Hyzer Creek today and played a round. The course was in fine shape. Sure it is not as refined as Maple Hill or some other top notch courses, but there was no broken glass or garbage everywhere. There was a bag with some empties at one hole. Yes an actual garbage bag with empties at a disc golf hole. Oh the humanity! And on the holes that are new since my last visit there were still a few stumps. And on some fairways there are rocks and stumps. This course is in the woods not a city park. If you want pristine, soft, girly golf stay in the suburbs. Don't go to the woods. We should all be smart enough to know roughly what to expect from courses in different areas. I think the review sucked, and giving that course a 3 is pretty weak. I suspect he did it because he couldn't handle getting his arse handed to him by a tough wooded course. And I think it really sucks that 35 people at this time would give him a thumbs up for such a weak effort just because you want to slam the course owner. Sure the owner shouldn't have fired a verbal barrage at the reviewer, but giving that reviewer any support at all sucks. I am one of the proud three that added a protest thumbs down to vote. The review was a poor effort. If everyone is all pumped up to give thumbs up go do it for people that actually deserve it. Damn humchris out in CA writes good reviews, and can barely get a thumbs up sometimes. Go read some of his, and vote. Damn people. This whole thread has made DGCR less than it was.

Proud supporter of private wooded disc golf courses.

Ok, I'll be the Dbag that defends the course owner. First of all the review tells virtually nothing about the course. No detail whatsoever. Then his caps button seems to be broke or something, or he simply didn't care enough to take the time to do a decent review. Then he lists challenging as a con. WTF is that?? My guess is that he got destroyed by a tough course and decided to vent on a review. Oh yeah, and bugs might be bad sometimes?? Another great comment. I think we could assume that for any course not in a freaking desert. My 11 year old could have written a better review.

I stopped by Hyzer Creek today and played a round. The course was in fine shape. Sure it is not as refined as Maple Hill or some other top notch courses, but there was no broken glass or garbage everywhere. There was a bag with some empties at one hole. Yes an actual garbage bag with empties at a disc golf hole. Oh the humanity! And on the holes that are new since my last visit there were still a few stumps. And on some fairways there are rocks and stumps. This course is in the woods not a city park. If you want pristine, soft, girly golf stay in the suburbs. Don't go to the woods. We should all be smart enough to know roughly what to expect from courses in different areas. I think the review sucked, and giving that course a 3 is pretty weak. I suspect he did it because he couldn't handle getting his arse handed to him by a tough wooded course. And I think it really sucks that 35 people at this time would give him a thumbs up for such a weak effort just because you want to slam the course owner. Sure the owner shouldn't have fired a verbal barrage at the reviewer, but giving that reviewer any support at all sucks. I am one of the proud three that added a protest thumbs down to vote. The review was a poor effort. If everyone is all pumped up to give thumbs up go do it for people that actually deserve it. Damn humchris out in CA writes good reviews, and can barely get a thumbs up sometimes. Go read some of his, and vote. Damn people. This whole thread has made DGCR less than it was.

this. i dont know if I would ban someone but would probably ask they take the review down

I'd do neither.

I'm not saying that review is a masterpiece, but it does provide info and perspective. Nor does it bash the course, as there were some facets that he liked.

I'm a private course owner with some pride in our course, but I wouldn't ask a review like that be taken down and certainly wouldn't ban the reviewer. The most I've been known to do is PM someone to correct or explain some facts ("We hope to have the stumps cleared out in the next year", that sort of thing).

I expect perfection

There better not be any bugs at Stoney Hill if I show up in the summer dammit! :p

Y'all are losing sight of reality. It was a GOOD review. If owners are upset about ratings they should be out there dominating or STFU.

It's not an entitlement system. You play in the rules or you get ****. I look forward to leaving a mediocre review to Morgan's decent course as well as other less than average courses rated a 4 or above.

It was not a good review. Was the course open or heavily wooded.? How were the hills? Any there? Any water carries? Any really tight crappy holes or unfair ways. Anything cool or unique?? Ever been to that course?? Guessing you haven't. I don't care what he rated it, he offered no information. The review sucked. I normally would have read it and simply not voted. But since this became such a clusterf*ck, I added a thumb down just for sanity sake.

I have no problem with people giving a lower score than most people, but you should at least give some information, and make a better effort than that. I guess our difference in opinions is that I have more sympathy for butt-hurt course owners that have put their time, wealth and hearts into courses we play, and you have more sympathy for butt-hurt players that whine about courses other people labored to let us use. If you're going to slam their efforts at least do it intelligently.

The best thing for everybody would have been if the reviewer waited to review the course until he played it again. Sometimes 1 visit isn't enough. I have a few courses that I need to play again before reviewing. They were rated fairly high, and I just didn't get it. But sometimes another visit either confirms or changes your perceptions. And it would be nice if the course owner invited the reviewer back so he could play again, and update his review to add any new insights. Good and bad. I've changed a few reviews for better and worse.

I noticed another review from a couple years back. Absolutely useless review: Less than one true paragraph. All the guy did was stroke morgans ego and give him 5*s. The review of topic was a Steinbeck novel by comparison.
Seeing as how I don't give :thmbup: or :thmbdown:, nor use reviews for course recon, this whole "no hyzer creek for you!!!" is rather silly (IMHO). It seems as though if the reviewer had enthusiastically commended morgan for what he felt was an average course, this would have never materialized.

OK, I'll be the Dbag that defends the course owner. First of all the review tells virtually nothing about the course. No detail whatsoever. Then his caps button seems to be broke or something, or he simply didn't care enough to take the time to do a decent review. Then he lists challenging as a con. WTF is that?? My guess is that he got destroyed by a tough course and decided to vent on a review. Oh yeah, and bugs might be bad sometimes?? Another great comment. I think we could assume that for any course not in a freaking desert. My 11 year old could have written a better review.

:eek:
I feel special. Thanks sloppy for recognizing my work.:hfive: I do work hard on making sure I put out good reviews on all the courses I review. I think it's funny, my last 2 for a pair of private courses on one property here in CA both have gotten 0 thumbs (not that I care), Both of them brought down the average of the course, but they were honest reviews.

As for this whole mess, I would like to play Hyzer Creek before I judge the owner, the reviewer, or the course.

I'd like to point out that out of 24 reviews, only 4 are by TR's, of which rated it lower than it's non TR only rating. This means to me that it's less likely that the majority of its reviewers have seen a lot of diversity. HBB. Whatever you want to call it.

I would say that if more TR's rated the course, the allegedly inflated score would lower.

There better not be any bugs at Stoney Hill if I show up in the summer dammit! :p

I should probably ban the guy who wrote about the briars (Hey, they're off the fairway), the course being poorly groomed in the summer (Hey, we're doing what we can), the chances of lost discs (Throw better), and the requirement to schedule to play, which is inconvenient (live with it).

But I can't, because it was me.

I should probably ban the guy who wrote about the briars (Hey, they're off the fairway), the course being poorly groomed in the summer (Hey, we're doing what we can), the chances of lost discs (Throw better), and the requirement to schedule to play, which is inconvenient (live with it).

But I can't, because it was me.

Nice. You're your own worst critic. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts