• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Bard

Interested to know if anyone is bagging both these and Harps. About the middle of summer last year I pulled my Bards out of my bag as I felt I could power up a Harp a bit or power down on a Longbowman and still hit the same lines. However, it turns out I just really like throwing these...a security blanket of sorts maybe, so in spite of creating some redundancy they have made their way back in. As such, just curious when some of you may reach for one vs. the other.

Interested to know if anyone is bagging both these and Harps. About the middle of summer last year I pulled my Bards out of my bag as I felt I could power up a Harp a bit or power down on a Longbowman and still hit the same lines. However, it turns out I just really like throwing these...a security blanket of sorts maybe, so in spite of creating some redundancy they have made their way back in. As such, just curious when some of you may reach for one vs. the other.

Have harps and bards in the bag, however, I'm starting to phase the harp out for the sinus. I have a beat up bt med harp I love just because I know it so well. But I prefer the Sinus when new to the harp. I might keep a harp in the bag for forehand approaches only in the future and the sinus for everything else. The Bard is workeable on many lines. Especially in the Bt plastic if you can find it.

I also have both in the bag. But the Harp really fills more of an utility disc role for me.

I bag both and to me they are not overlapping that much. Bard is much faster and longer. It also has glidier fade which pushes it further to the left (rhbh).

I use Harp more for up shots both on bh and fh. Bard is used more on drives and purely bh. For longer fh shots I go with Felon.

I bag both and to me they are not overlapping that much. Bard is much faster and longer. It also has glidier fade which pushes it further to the left (rhbh).

I use Harp more for up shots both on bh and fh. Bard is used more on drives and purely bh. For longer fh shots I go with Felon.

I also bag both and don't see much overlap. What overlap there is is mostly a range where I could either try to overthrow the Harp or take a little off the Bard, but I lean toward taking a little off rather than try to throw harder.

This. Except a Longbowman for longer shots.

I know dave f. spoke highly of the bard on his last in bag. But I have yet to try it yet. My mace seems to fill the go to os midrange slot.

I know dave f. spoke highly of the bard on his last in bag. But I have yet to try it yet. My mace seems to fill the go to os midrange slot.

The Mace and Bard are not far apart in shape, feel and flight. If you like the Mace, you'll like the Bard. But at the same time, if you like the Mace, you aren't missing much if you aren't throwing the Bard.

I found the Mace to be quite unpredictable upon seasoning. It developed decent turn when powered up.

The Bard has a ton of inherit stability. My VIP has taken some. Abuse and can still be thrown full power into the wind.

I'm very excited for the Anchor. I'm guessing it will be the disc finally to combat the Roc after many attempts

I don't like beaded midranges, they feel weird in my hand and I have a tendency to not release them cleanly. That's why I'm bagging a Verdict. The Bard flies so amazingly stable, and the bead doesn't feel as prominent as on for example the Roc that I'm seriously considering throwing the Bard in 2017 ... we'll see. It's a great feeling disc, and the way it flies, wow. It's a lot better than the Roc

I'm very excited for the Anchor. I'm guessing it will be the disc finally to combat the Roc after many attempts
From the very few clips available, the Anchor seemes to be pretty identical with the Bard flightwise. To me that means more OS than a Roc.

Do you think it is less OS than what it's made out to be or do you just like to cycle that OS mids?

I used to throw the Mace and agree that it could become to flippy to fast. The bard has much a slower and predictable season. Especially the DecoDye Bard. Its been consistently OS for me. I bag a decodye, opto, and BT. I'm hoping to soon have it cover ALL my midrange shots so I can get rid of the compass.

From the very few clips available, the Anchor seemes to be pretty identical with the Bard flightwise. To me that means more OS than a Roc.

Do you think it is less OS than what it's made out to be or do you just like to cycle that OS mids?

Yeah I think they'll be pretty close to a Bard but probably season in much faster to a line drive flyer.

I cycle Rocs now and bookend them with a VIP Bard. From what I can see, the Anchor will fly like a nice beefy Roc. At least I hope.

It's a lot better than the Roc

Not quite ;)
Theyre great compliments to Rocs but the BT Bard I had was flat topped and more of a line drive type mid than a DX Roc.

Better feel for you... Yes.
Better than the legendary Bird... Not yet

That said, I do plan to run Bards/Rocs for my mids until one day RDG has a mid.

I would say that overall the BArd is not better than the roc, because there are so many types, variance, plastic types and runs that you can cover a ton of shots with theoretically one mold.

The bard however in VIP plastic is better than a champ Rancho roc and there's not a whole lot of doubt about that. Its shape and smaller bead allow it to be forehanded more easily and make it more comfortable than the generally very domey champion rocs.

So is it better than a roc no, but is it better than the rocs that they directly compete with, I think so.

One day when they come out with a base mass produced and readily available baseline plastic bard then we can have a real discussion.

A lot of comparison between bard and roc. Or like "it will replace the roc when, etc."

I threw the roc for years. It was really the only thing like it then in the 90's. When I got back into dg, I was like almost ready to fall over backward that it was still so popular.

And partially because of that, when I first threw the mace in goldline it was like love at first throw. Overstable, new type of plastic (for me at the time). And the mace conitinues to be bread and butter. But for some reason people skip over this mold to the verdict or to the truth.

This mold is timeless (roc). And the mace and all the other copycats are just basically the same thing with better plastic and a new manufacturer.

Latest posts