• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basic Rules I Need to Know?

neanderthal85

I started playing a month ago. I wanted a new hobby that was outdoors and I played ultimate a lot. Wow, disc golf is a different beast.

Anyways, a local place I have been playing at is having a tourney and I want to sign up for the recreational tourney. However, I don't want anyone to point and scream "NOOB!" at me.

So, what are the basic rules I should know? For example, if I throw it in the woods, do I have to play a drop, like in golf, or can I just chuck it out? Do I have to use a small marker disc, or can I just use another disc I have? I am rapidly improving, but I still hit trees and throw off target a lot, so I want to be prepared since I usually just play as it lies.

Thanks!

I started playing a month ago. I wanted a new hobby that was outdoors and I played ultimate a lot. Wow, disc golf is a different beast.

Anyways, a local place I have been playing at is having a tourney and I want to sign up for the recreational tourney. However, I don't want anyone to point and scream "NOOB!" at me.

So, what are the basic rules I should know? For example, if I throw it in the woods, do I have to play a drop, like in golf, or can I just chuck it out? Do I have to use a small marker disc, or can I just use another disc I have? I am rapidly improving, but I still hit trees and throw off target a lot, so I want to be prepared since I usually just play as it lies.

Thanks!
First off, you'll be in rec. division so no one should yell 'Noob' at you and if they do, you're in the worst league in America. :| Rec. is pretty lax on the rules but it's good to know them (peep the link Silly Biz provided) so you don't learn fake rules from somebody that doesn't know the rules.

"If I throw it in the woods?" Throw from your lie in the woods. Check the Obstacles and Relief for extenuating circumstances.

"Do I need to use a marker?" Nah, you don't technically need one. You can throw from behind your previously thrown disc. They are handy for when foot room is a premium and necessary if you want to throw that disc again. Flipping the disc over is technically illegal but seen often in casual play.

The basic thing to remember is to not distract other players while they throw/putt (stay out of their periphery and stuff), farthest out throws next (just like golf), and don't throw your disc at your bag (anything over 3' is considered a practice throw and a penalty, does not include drops). If you're familiar with golf etiquette then you'll do fine, a lot of it translates over.

Hopefully I haven't told you wrong on anything. Good luck and have fun! :thmbup:

Follow Dave's advice and you're off to a great start. He makes some good points in that a mini is not required, but it can be handy when in certain instances where standing behind your disc puts you in a tight spot (e.g. your lie butts up against a tree trunk on the side closest to the basket). You'll pick up the more detailed rules as situations arise and you gain experience playing in structured competitive play.

Last edited:
I strongly suggest getting in the habit of playing by the rules every time you play or practice. Play from your lie every time, putt out every time, etc...
Good luck and have fun!!!

You know, it's hard to answer without knowing what rules you're playing by now.

Having played with beginners and assuming the worst --- or, at least, the greenest --- I'd start with the stance. One foot immediately behind the disc or marker, on a line from the basket through the center of the marker. The other foot no closer to the basket than the marker. You can run up, but have to be in this position at the time of release. Once you've released you can step past, except within 10 meters of the basket, where you have to hold your position and "demonstrate balance".

Perhaps you've already got that, but it's one of the more glaring rules violations, or variances, I see among beginners and very casual players. I see them straddling the lie, or off to one side when there's an obstacle to avoid.

You play your lie except where the TD has declared out-of-bounds (OB), or a few rarer cases like stuck in a tree. If you go OB, you go to the point where it crossed the OB line in the area, and mark your shot up to 1 meter from the line. Even if it takes you closer to the basket.

Of course, you should read the rules and learn them as best you can in a short time. But for the most part, most holes play out with just the basics, and 95% of the rules are to cover more unusual situations.

Tournament procedures (order of throw, keeping score, etc.) are another issue, and you can search for threads on "first tournament" and find lots of stuff. I always recommend telling people in your group that it's your first tournament; they're overwhelmingly likely to help you along, rather than assume you're deliberately or carelessly breaking rules. After all, everyone you played with once played in their first tournament, themselves.

It's a growing sport, so there are always new people showing up. You may not be the only first-timer.

Expect to be the scorekeeper for a few holes. Everyone does it, even the first time. It's easy. Just wait until everyone gets to the next tee and do like it says in the rulebook (even if the other players didn't do it that way).

Here are a couple of instructional pics from my beginner league.

432005_330499723711516_1366012382_n.jpg

419071_346323852129103_315007178_n.jpg

It's a growing sport, so there are always new people showing up. You may not be the only first-timer.

Expect to be the scorekeeper for a few holes. Everyone does it, even the first time. It's easy. Just wait until everyone gets to the next tee and do like it says in the rulebook (even if the other players didn't do it that way).

Here are a couple of instructional pics from my beginner league.

432005_330499723711516_1366012382_n.jpg

419071_346323852129103_315007178_n.jpg

Can they post this at all courses that people play. I always see people getting closer to the target in one way or another. At least I don't think it helps them make any longer putts but they do manage to be creative in the woods with their stance.

I've never played a tournament either. So you can't use another disc to mark your lie instead of a mini? I already have a few minis, but I'm just curious.

I've never played a tournament either. So you can't use another disc to mark your lie instead of a mini? I already have a few minis, but I'm just curious.

If you drive with an Inertia, you can leave the Inertia on the ground and throw an Axis for your approach shot. That is fine. But it's just easier to get into the habit of marking every lie with a Nano. :D

Unless it puts you at a disadvantage in doing so. So there can be a little strategy involved.

This is a good read for noobs, and all players:

http://www.pdga.com/marking-a-lie

That helps. Thanks.

What I was asking above, is what if (using your example discs) I throw with an Inertia, use an Axis to mark the lie, and then throw with the Inertia again? The link above seems to answer that question by only mentioning that a mini should be used to throw the same Inertia again.

That helps. Thanks.

What I was asking above, is what if (using your example discs) I throw with an Inertia, use an Axis to mark the lie, and then throw with the Inertia again? The link above seems to answer that question by only mentioning that a mini should be used to throw the same Inertia again.

You can't mark with a disc or flip your disc. You can leave the disc there or mark with a mini.

Let your card mates know this is your first tournament. Every one playing has had a first tourney, so most likely they'll be helpful.

Here are the main things I can think of that are often done in casual play, bug not really legal.

You have to have something to mark your lie, wether that be the previous thrown disc, or your mini. If you go OB and take a drop, you need to mark that lie with your mini.

You cannot just swipe your disc across the chains. You have to throw it in no matter how close.

Inside 10 meters of the basket you're in the putting circle. You can't cross the lie when putting in the circle. So no jump puts or run up putts.

Also remember that a good chunk of the rules infractions give you a warning the first time. Have a rule book with you and if someone pulls out a very suspect rule, find it. Also see if it's a penalty of warning.

Latest posts