• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets stolen at new Kentucky course

Not stolen baskets, but another mention about vandalism in general: I went to the park board and worked last fall and winter to redesign the AmShank (Amelia, just suburban Cincinnati) course last fall and winter. It was fun, but a lot of work to cut wooded lanes, add signage, turf tees, and alternate suggested greens out there, but with an Eagle Scout building a bridge across the creek, I had high hopes.
We've increased course traffic probably five- or ten-fold in 2022, but the boneheaded kids (I assume) can't help just destroying people's work. They burned the rails on that bridge (we replaced), then ripped them out (replaced), and have ripped them out again. They destroy every sign they can, about once a month (replaced the first three or four times), and stuff our signage down the port-o-let, or toss signage in the creek.
Folks say 'put up a trail cam', but since they won't be prosecuted, why spend money and effort doing so?
It's disheartening, to say the least.
Why wouldn't course vandalism be prosecuted?

I dunno, that seems like an awfully high level of dedication to vandalism to be the work of kids. Seems like someone has a problem with the course or some kind of mental issue. Burning the railings seems like the work of bored teenagers, as does ripping them down once. But to repeatedly vandalize the same structure... I just don't see kids maintaining an interest that long. As you said, it's largely irrelevant as the cops are unlikely to prosecute, but it sucks to see an area that's considered to be disc golf friendly going through these issues.

We've increased course traffic probably five- or ten-fold in 2022, but the boneheaded kids (I assume) can't help just destroying people's work. They burned the rails on that bridge (we replaced), then ripped them out (replaced), and have ripped them out again. They destroy every sign they can, about once a month (replaced the first three or four times), and stuff our signage down the port-o-let, or toss signage in the creek.
Folks say 'put up a trail cam', but since they won't be prosecuted, why spend money and effort doing so?
It's disheartening, to say the least.

Kudos for doing all that work. Maybe if you put some temporary hidden cams up, you find someone you don't expect doing it. Plaster their face on the course after caught?

Like others said, that seems like dedication beyond vandalism, which is more sporadic from what I experienced. Maybe a disgruntled homeowner or such.

When I took care of my father's property as he was aging, the largest vandals were invariably the neighbors doing stupid ****. Over the years, caught one guy would dump leaves (prolly 5 contractor bags worth) on the old man's property or fallen branches, cause the dude --who planted a hundred trees-- didn't actually want the debris on his manicured lawn (or any blade of grass out of place). The woman across the street tried to dump garbage in my dad's forest, just to save money. A third just tried to claim land over the property line by building stuff over it. Most of this was the first few years he moved in and stopped over time and confrontation.

I also know a disc golf course nearby that got NIMBYed after it was built. Cut down from 18 to a delapitated 9 after complaints.

Could be a similar situation. If they're doing it at night, you'd need a nightvision cam.

Its only been a few months since the last in ident, and the course has barely been in the ground. That's freaking crazy. Someone's got it in bad for that course.

That's a lot of walking and likely noise in an attack like this. Maybe a camera at the park entrance might help. Someone could still walk in of course.

Something just seems off about this. Maybe a group doing it?

Feel so bad for everyone who put such hard work into this course.

That's a lot of walking and likely noise in an attack like this. Maybe a camera at the park entrance might help. Someone could still walk in of course.

Something just seems off about this. Maybe a group doing it?

Feel so bad for everyone who put such hard work into this course.

I'm really bummed this crap happened again. It's a beautiful park, a great hike, and a fun course with some memorable holes. I played it for the first time the day after Christmas. Some snow on the ground, more light snow falling, and hardly another soul out there. It was a perfect round of golf.

It's a large sprawling park surrounded by some pretty nice, sought after, neighborhoods. Tons of ways in and out of there and no real entrance. It very much has the feel of a neighborhood park, but huge.

Some strategically placed trail cams really need to go up on the course if baskets go back in again. It all seems way too dedicated to be a group of bored teenagers, I'm still leaning towards pissed off NIMBY neighbors who don't want folks enjoying "their park".

It's frustrating.

I'm really bummed this crap happened again. It's a beautiful park, a great hike, and a fun course with some memorable holes. I played it for the first time the day after Christmas. Some snow on the ground, more light snow falling, and hardly another soul out there. It was a perfect round of golf.

It's a large sprawling park surrounded by some pretty nice, sought after, neighborhoods. Tons of ways in and out of there and no real entrance. It very much has the feel of a neighborhood park, but huge.

Some strategically placed trail cams really need to go up on the course if baskets go back in again. It all seems way too dedicated to be a group of bored teenagers, I'm still leaning towards pissed off NIMBY neighbors who don't want folks enjoying "their park".

It's frustrating.

I've been there twice before the course was put in, didn't know there were multiple entrances. It is a large park, that already gets plenty of traffic. I can't imagine the marginal increase in numbers DG'ers would provide would even cause a blip in total traffic.

Are any of the holes close to homes? Maybe folks climbing a fence to retrieve discs?

If someone lived adjacent to the course, that could certainly make vandalizing it easier. Maybe someplace for police to start...

I just added a course condition description: "Certainly 'playable', and folks should, but do it in defiance of the criminal vandals who damaged 15 of the 18 baskets for the second time. !!! Play it whether baskets are there or not. If 1000 people a day did this in defiance, it might speak volumes. Don't worry if you can't hole out. anything inside C1 is a made putt. Let's see those scores!"

I've been there twice before the course was put in, didn't know there were multiple entrances. It is a large park, that already gets plenty of traffic. I can't imagine the marginal increase in numbers DG'ers would provide would even cause a blip in total traffic.

Are any of the holes close to homes? Maybe folks climbing a fence to retrieve discs?

If someone lived adjacent to the course, that could certainly make vandalizing it easier. Maybe someplace for police to start...

Lol. I should have noticed your location. It was late and I was tired. Anyway...

It has been an exceptionally busy course right from the jump. It's a park in a great location that everyone in the area knows and loves. Quick and easy access for folks from both sides of the river.

Holes 1's tee is right across from, and 17 & 18 run parallel to Montague Rd. There's about a dozen homes along this stretch that look directly towards some lovely sections of the park which now comprise those mentioned holes.

Hole 8's basket is directly across the street from a handful of homes on Park Rd.

I agree with Sisyphus. Get out there and play on the baskets as they are. Maybe a friendly wave to any neighbors that you see out there.

Wow! It constantly boggles my mind how people are just a$$es.
I don't want to be conspiracy guy, but...
If the noise of what happened didn't raise the awareness of the neighbors, maybe............

I just added a course condition description: "Certainly 'playable', and folks should, but do it in defiance of the criminal vandals who damaged 15 of the 18 baskets for the second time. !!! Play it whether baskets are there or not. If 1000 people a day did this in defiance, it might speak volumes. Don't worry if you can't hole out. anything inside C1 is a made putt. Let's see those scores!"

This is the way

Last edited:
I'd venture to guess there's a skate park there as well. Someone familiar with the park let me know if I'm wrong.

It's frustrating.

Tire tracks anywhere to be seen? Seems like a lot of damage to be done "by hand."

NIMBYs or people who have been using that space for years for business would be my guess. While it's a great layout (super fun) I'm not sure that the planners really understood how much use a lot of the areas received.

The course plays through some of the most scenic areas in the city. It's the best place to get photos of Cincy's skyline, and the natural beauty is ridiculous, especially in the fall. There are lots of photographers that count on them for their businesses. The day we played there was a backup both on the course and for wedding photos. Golfers were trying to ensure nobody got hurt, and the wedding parties couldn't have cared less that the area has been utilized. A friend in our group even mentioned he'd had both their wedding and family photos taken there. There are also plenty of homes on certain holes that probably don't appreciate a basket being added to their views.

This is going to be a long road for the course without trail cams to gather proof to stop things ASAP. The destruction will overrun the basket budget in no time.

NIMBYs or people who have been using that space for years for business would be my guess. While it's a great layout (super fun) I'm not sure that the planners really understood how much use a lot of the areas received.

The course plays through some of the most scenic areas in the city. It's the best place to get photos of Cincy's skyline, and the natural beauty is ridiculous, especially in the fall. There are lots of photographers that count on them for their businesses. The day we played there was a backup both on the course and for wedding photos. Golfers were trying to ensure nobody got hurt, and the wedding parties couldn't have cared less that the area has been utilized. A friend in our group even mentioned he'd had both their wedding and family photos taken there. There are also plenty of homes on certain holes that probably don't appreciate a basket being added to their views.

This is going to be a long road for the course without trail cams to gather proof to stop things ASAP. The destruction will overrun the basket budget in no time.

Hey man....did you get a new pooch??

Tire tracks anywhere to be seen? Seems like a lot of damage to be done "by hand."

In the pics I remember seeing, I was looking for tire tracks & didn't see any. But there were only 2 or 3 pics I saw, not the entire 18.