• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets stolen at new Kentucky course

. . . There are lots of photographers that count on them for their businesses. The day we played there was a backup both on the course and for wedding photos. Golfers were trying to ensure nobody got hurt, and the wedding parties couldn't have cared less that the area has been utilized. . . .

So you are saying that rogue wedding photographers may be the culprits? ;)

Hey man....did you get a new pooch??

I sure did! He's not quite the road tripper Smokey was, but he loves being on the course. Thanks for asking, Steve!

So you are saying that rogue wedding photographers may be the culprits? ;)

They likely also take senior photos, and you don't want to mess with someone who has to put on a smile for high school seniors. Just my half a cent...

We had some absolutely insane storms roll through last night. Hard rain, very strong winds (which are still rolling through today). This person had to have gone out in the middle of all of it to accomplish this. Sounds like it was most, if not all 18 baskets.

The whole region was getting pounded last night. I'm trying to rationalize what could make someone hate disc golf so much, that they would put this level of determination into illegal activity, solely for the purpose of ruining a course.

Guess my problem is trying to rationalize behavior that isn't rational. This has to be the work of someone who has no hobbies or diversions of their own. Surely, their time and effort would be better spent engaging in that activity.

There I go rationalizing again. :\

And this time they used bolt cutters and cut off a bunch of chains in addition to bending baskets. This is one determined NIMBY.

Devou Park vandalized again.

One determined NIMBY really eager to catch a felony for vandalism.

"512.020 Criminal mischief in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of criminal mischief in the first degree when, having no right to
do so or any reasonable ground to believe that he or she has such right, he or she
intentionally or wantonly:
(a) Defaces, destroys, or damages any property causing pecuniary loss of one
thousand dollars ($1,000) or more;" ... "Criminal mischief in the first degree is a Class D felony"

A Class D felony in Kentucky carries a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 5 years in jail, and fines between $1,000 and $10,000.

I am not a lawyer, just a disc golfer with a criminal justice degree. I hope those that call that course home will keep playing despite the conditions.

Basket thieves should be tarred and feathered arrested and charged excommunicated and ran out of town

Wish I still had that line about basket thieves that I had in my sig years ago...

Something to the effect of not only rotting in hell, but the devil laughing as his horns tear open their belly and they get to watch their entrails spilling onto their feet.

Perhaps even moar fitting for a serial vandal.

And this time they used bolt cutters and cut off a bunch of chains in addition to bending baskets. This is one determined NIMBY.

Firstly, that sux. I hope they catch and prosecute those responsible.

Bad weather vandalism is interesting. I had a summer job at a pool, and we used to get a lot of nighttime trespassers. When the weather was nice, it was usually just skinnydippers and whatnot. Those folks generally didn't do any damage.

The folks who wanted to do damage or break into the building and steal stuff waited for the crappiest summer weather possible.

After a while we learned to check the pool on bad weather nights. Perhaps they can do the same at Devou.

The whole region was getting pounded last night. I'm trying to rationalize what could make someone hate disc golf so much, that they would put this level of determination into illegal activity, solely for the purpose of ruining a course.

Guess my problem is trying to rationalize behavior that isn't rational. This has to be the work of someone who has no hobbies or diversions of their own. Surely, their time and effort would be better spent engaging in that activity.

[begin speculation] It could also be that some areas of the park were very lightly used prior to the course going in. Neighbors with yards adjacent to secluded parts of the park may have been using it as an extension of their yards for years. Wouldn't be too surprised if someone in that situation had motivation to damage the course and try to get it pulled. [end speculation]

Tangent:
My first house had an open field directly north of my property with some scrubby woods north of that and a freight train line on the other side of the woods. I jokingly called it my side yard and treated it accordingly. We'd pull the portable basket out there and play disc while grilling. I'd even mow greens and paths when the grass got too high. Many of my neighbors would use it as a cut through to get to the next block without going out on the main street. None of us owned it, but many in the neighborhood felt/acted like they did (myself included).

We all assumed that the railroad owned the woods and the field, but that wasn't the case. Turns out a local company that made huge plastic containers for chemicals owned it and just never developed it. After we moved, they cleared most of the woods and graveled almost the entire parcel. It's now being used to store their inventory, with big forklifts to move the stuff around. Backed directly up to (what used to be) my chainlink fence is a wall of ten foot high white plastic containers. I wouldn't have been too happy if I was still living there when that happened.

Apparently this is an ongoing problem at this park for other activities as well. I've heard stories about bridges/safety rails being damaged on the bike paths...as well as fishing line being strung across them... smfh

The real F'd up part about people that do things like this, i bet they don't even use the park themselves a lot of the time.

... I hope those that call that course home will keep playing despite the conditions.

I've been promoting this since the first stolen basket round.

PLEASE come play Devou. Treat it as an object course. Go old school. Play to the intended basket location. Inside circle one is a gimme. Out of town folks, come play! In-town folks, regularly, folks closest to the course, routinely!

Hundreds of rounds per week, no matter what the vandals do!

If you could flip the vandal(s) to building the park rather than trashing it, it would be the best maintained park around!

Seems to me "Game Cameras" could be used to help identify the perps. Anyone know any hunters that may be able to help you guys out?

Seems to me "Game Cameras" could be used to help identify the perps. Anyone know any hunters that may be able to help you guys out?

Please read this local's perspective:
NIMBYs or people who have been using that space for years for business would be my guess. While it's a great layout (super fun) I'm not sure that the planners really understood how much use a lot of the areas received.

The course plays through some of the most scenic areas in the city. It's the best place to get photos of Cincy's skyline, and the natural beauty is ridiculous, especially in the fall. There are lots of photographers that count on them for their businesses. The day we played there was a backup both on the course and for wedding photos. Golfers were trying to ensure nobody got hurt, and the wedding parties couldn't have cared less that the area has been utilized. A friend in our group even mentioned he'd had both their wedding and family photos taken there. There are also plenty of homes on certain holes that probably don't appreciate a basket being added to their views.

This is going to be a long road for the course without trail cams to gather proof to stop things ASAP. The destruction will overrun the basket budget in no time.

Thanks for pointing this out ^^^^^

If there is a next time, I will be sure to preface any post with a disclaimer stating that "if this has been mentioned already, please forgive me".

Wasn't trying to be a d!ck. Just pointing out that others have mentioned trail cams. Now someone just needs to get a few, and strategically locate them to catch this SOB.

I quoted TBird in particular, because he mentions how other park goers already use certain sections that overlap the course, how they seem oblivious to what'going on around them, and how it backs things up on the course ...which certainly doesn't help in terms of activities coexisting in a shared use parcel.

Wonder if planning meeting minutes are available to locals or even online. Cross reference those who vehemently opposed the course to begin with against their street addresses. This is someone who REALLY does not want a course...there.

This would be a lot of work for the casual park user or photographer who is only impacted by the course a few times a year. Almost certainly is a NIMBY.

Latest posts