• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast, Old mold vs. new mold

Easy...does it have the "L" wing(straight taper) or the "X" wing(concave). The Beast shown on Innova's site now is the "X". Strange that they haven't changed the numbers though, 10,5,-2,2.

Definetly the X like the one on the site. I would say it's a 10 5 -1 2. Wasn't 10 5 -2 2 the original numbers also though?

I don't remember what the orig Beast numbers were, it's been so long. And Innova didn't put the numbers on their discs back then either.

I did a quick search on web.archive and found from early 2004 and according to that the original beast was a 10 4 -1 2
http://web.archive.org/web/20040205161019/http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/beast.html

Then I found from middle 2007 that the beast was 10 4 -2 3
web.archive.org/web/20070710112425/http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/beast.html

I remember when I bought my forst beast, which I still have, from 2010 it was listed as 10 5 -2 2. I'm thinking the variation between plastics has enough to do as the mold switch.

10,4,-1,2 sounds right for the orig Beast when it first came out because Innova also had other drivers from that era at a 4 glide...Valkyrie, Viking, etc. The 2010 version should be an "L" Beast.

It most certainly is. After throwing them yesterday my three "L" Beasts turned a considerable amount before fading back any while the new pro Beast with the "X" wing looked like a different disc in the flight path. It did fly very similar to the champion orc I threw alongside.

Well, that's a tough question. I've been throwing the "L" mold for six years so I know that disc inside and out. The "L" Beast has been a mainstay distance driver in my bag that I can throw on any angle and know what it will do. While I've only had the new one for a day I did get enough throws in yesterday (hyzer, flat, anny lines) to have an idea what it can do.

What I can say is I plan on getting another and have two "L" molds and two "X" molds in my bag for now, but I can see myself moving entirely to the "X" eventually.

I used to bag Roadrunner, Beast(L) and Orc some years ago(2010-11). I would think the X Beast would be too close to the Orc. Kind of an "either or" thing.

A correct assumption. Honestly, I think they are very similar but the Orc is slightly more stable. I could imagine a beat in Beast "X" to be an "L". From speeds 9 and 10 though I think there's a place for both. It's a speed I believe most people max out at and should provide a wide variety of options. Like how Aviars come in just about every configuration you can imagine at speed 2.

There's 2 Pro L mold, P-BST at a local store. I'm not a fan of that mold at all, doubt they'd go up in price any, but still almost thought about picking them up.

I just called My retailer the other day to ask them about this. From my understanding it sounds like Innova has changed this with no notice to anyone. There are some X's floating around out there that look just like the L's and that innova didn't inform anyone of the change.... Retailers complained and they implemented the X stamp.....

So, today i came up on a G* Beast-X. :)

I drove two hrs to play a new course and ended up shooting a round with some local disc shop owners. Afterwards they traded me this beast x for a thunderbird i never seemed to throw. Pretty nice day really.

So here we go, is it correct that this is a new old mold beast-x with concaved wing and the old flight numbers but new stamp? Or am i just lost on this?

Havent thrown it yet. Really flexy. Kinda tacky. Slimer green. Nice. :thmbup:

Attachments

• 20161105_232657.jpg
    20161105_232657.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20161105_232646.jpg
    20161105_232646.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20161105_232551.jpg
    20161105_232551.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 36
Let me tell you my Beast story...

Reading through this is quite interesting and very confusing.

I had thrown a couple Beasts (I believe mostly DX "new mold") and was never impressed. A few months ago, Fall 2016, I found a slightly used (still had some flashing, and very few gouges) Star Beast. It was 175, and I believe marked "star (5-point star) BS". When I started throwing it, I reconsidered my Beast-hating ways. Not nearly as flippy as the others I had thrown, and worked great for forehands and backhands up to 330'-350'. Unfortunately, I lost it a couple weeks ago, and now I'm puzzled as to how to replace it. I certainly wish now that I had snapped a photo of the wing/label/stamp.

Currently, I'm thinking it was a Beast-X (new "old mold") in Star, though it wasn't labeled X. The stamp looked similar to the image here on the Innova Factory Store. Thoughts? I'm a bit confused, because most people on here hadn't seen it in Star. Does anyone know when they came out in Star? Or did I somehow get a Star Beast from the early 2000s?

Am I simply mistaken? Was this a non-X Beast that was simply more stable than I was used to because it was max weight and fairly new in Star plastic?

Sheesh... you can tell I'm not as familiar with Beasts/Orcs in various plastics as many of you. But the one I had was a nice thrower and I'd love to know what I'm trying to replace. Thanks.

Maybe I answered my own question. Innova must still have plenty of the "new mold" (less overstable, NOT the "new old mold") Beast in stock in star plastic. I should get out and throw a real Beast-X so that I can tell how a real overstable Beast flies.

Yeah you definitely got a flat winged (non-x) mold that's max weight. Obviously you could've got a beefy disc though.

It isn't common for the Beast to be seen in Star but they come in:

Star: 164-175g
GStar: 165-175g
Champion: 160-175g
Blizzard: 130-159g
Pro: 165-175g
Glow: 165-175g
DX: 150-175g

Beasts fly very different between plastics in my experience, my favorite being Champion and Pro. It seems impossible to tell by the stamps as Innova appears to have stopped marking them "Beast-X" or any variation of(Somebody correct me?) and only mark them as "Beast." As somebody who throws Beasts a lot, it seems to be that all non-patent numbers beasts are the "X-wing" and all with numbers are the "L-Wing."

All the Star Beasts I've ever seen are new (L) mold. I guess the Beast L isn't a horrible disc, but its slightly less stable and seems slower than the Beast X.

Frankly I have no clue why Innova messed with that mold at all. Its a classic. I know a BeastX is though to be too much like an Orc, but I always thought they flew differently.

If you're having trouble finding Beast Xs consistently and want a similar disc, get an Orc. The Orc is pretty underrated.

Latest posts