• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast, Old mold vs. new mold

Will do, I'm guessing they will be marked the same just so they don't have to make another stamp, but we'll see

That guy was me, and they do exist in a VERY small quantity. I know a guy that has one, just can't get him to agree on a price... They were given to team members when they were first released.

ohhh i remember i was the one who asked for the pic haha. very rare and cool

Definitely old mold Beasts, just got 3 in the mail today!! Can't wait to throw tomorrow!!

thats baller i hope someone around my area has some so i can try one again. its been forever since i threw an old mold beast. back when it actually lived up to its beast name

Sounds like I can start throwing my old beasts again. :clap: I've always had a thing about not throwing OOP molds.

any update on these gstar old mold beasts?
do they fly like the old mold champs?

I never threw the old mold beasts but I do bag one of the new Gstar "old mold" beasts right now and can say, at least for me it is more stable with much less glide. Good headwind fighter for me (I throw the regular beast ~330 on a good throw do give you an idea on my power level), I like it.

I think they came out flying very similar to my old mold beasts that I love so much. The gstar plastic molds up nice and flat too, so the profile is definitely right. Now I'm hoping they'll release some glow champs!!

Beast

I never liked the new mold Beast, but I did like the old one. For me, the old mold champion Beast was just a tad flippier than an Orc, but glided better and had less low speed fade. Before the Wraith came out I'd say the old mold beast was probably the premier distance driver out (or the Flash). The new mold beast seems slower to me and even less stable than the old mold. I'm not saying it's useless, but to me it feels like a Sidewinder. It just flies more sluggishly than the old mold.

It looks like Innova is now producing the old mold Beasts in DX plastic. I saw a few mixed in with new mold DX Beasts at Wal Mart over the weekend.

Old molds had this stamp (sans Champion)...
attachment.php

New molds had this stamp...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Beast Champ Stamp.png
    Beast Champ Stamp.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Best New Mold.png
    Best New Mold.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 166
Good news, the "old mold" Beast is here to stay...

Innova Customer Service said:
Thank you for throwing INNOVA. It appears the main question here is: Will Beasts only be produced with the new "old mold"? The answer is yes.

Here is the whole story which should answer all of your other concerns. The Beast was created in late 2002. After Barry Schultz won his second world championship in 2004, Dave Dunipace made a slight change to the Beast mold to make it a little less high speed stable than the original. He felt the original Beast was too similar to the Orc. Since the original mold was retooled, we have only able to produce the new retooled Beast.

In 2014, problems arose with the Beast. Malfunctioning mold parts could no longer be used and were retired. We ordered new Beast parts from our mold making company. They mistakenly produced the Beast from the original disc specifications and not from the updated 2004 specifications. So now we have a new "old mold" Beast. Barry Schultz was very happy about it as he got his beloved original Beast back. Since we can no longer make the Beast with the faulty retooled parts, every Beast going forward will be made with the new "old mold". It is possible some retailers will continue to have older Beasts in stock until they sell out.

The flight numbers on the Beast will remain unchanged as they accurately reflect the flight of the current version of the Beast. Collectors will be able tell an original old mold from the new old mold as the new mold does not have patent numbers. The only way to tell the difference between the retooled mold and the new "old mold" Beasts is by the shape of the rim. Most Beast throwers and savvy collectors are already aware of these facts. Again, all Beasts going forward will be made in the new "old mold".
:clap:

Can someone post a profile pic of the two where the differences can be seen? I have a few buddies who got Beasts towards the end of last year.

Fascinating. I do wish they would something more obvious from a picture standpoint to differentiate the two. I wouldn't mind buying some new "old mold" beasts, but don't want to get an old "new mold"

I have a couple of the G* Old Mold Beasts. Not super hyped on them vs the old gummy Pre Barry discs that I have. If anyone is interested in giving them a shot give me a holler.

I never threw the old mold beasts but I do bag one of the new Gstar "old mold" beasts right now and can say, at least for me it is more stable with much less glide. Good headwind fighter for me (I throw the regular beast ~330 on a good throw do give you an idea on my power level), I like it.

The gstar flies like the pro lines which are a tad more hss than the regular champ plastic. A strong head wind will turn the champ more than it fades back from its original line of release whereas the gstar and pro lines will fade as much or more than they turn from the original line of release.

Wow. This is an unforseen twist to the old mold/new mold Beast debate. Especially interesting after the introduction of the Thunderbird, which is arguably more like and old mold Beast than the Orc.

Why not keep both? I have used the beast since the get go and find both useful in their own right. With as much crap as they put out there is no need to do away with either but if there may only be one, at least they got it right.