• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beat in pro destroyer?

Ya, I have a couple pop-top Pro Destroyers that I played with for a season and they never changed.

They are stiff F2 runs, and almost feel like they have some Star polymer in them as well. I have so many wtf overstable bosses and destroyers on my shelves that I will probably never have to buy another Stiletto, Ape, OS Destro, etc. unless I move to tornado alley and start bagging more than one at a time.

I'm not sure I understand the "buy a new disc and fx it up" crowd.. why on earth would you not just buy something less stable in the first place?? That's like buying a new car and deciding to run it at 8,000 RPMs for a few hours with low oil because you like that "my rings are about to go" rumble sound instead of buying a custom muffler.. 0.O

Last edited:
GStar Destroyers are good for distance and fly true to the numbers. If you can throw in the 350+ range then you'll like it for sure. If you beat them up really badly they will get less stable, but in normal grass and tree courses it lasts well.

GStar Destroyers are good for distance and fly true to the numbers. If you can throw in the 350+ range then you'll like it for sure. If you beat them up really badly they will get less stable, but in normal grass and tree courses it lasts well.

I agree with this. I like Gstar, and purely for distance I got a 167g one that I can turn over a bit on a good flat throw, and get extra distance without loosing accuracy. I'm not big into cycling with less durable plastics though, maybe I should try that too and get a Pro to play with. My power is similar to yours. I prefer Terns (and now DDx) for distance, but on windy days I can throw Destroyers into headwinds with good results.

I agree with this. I like Gstar, and purely for distance I got a 167g one that I can turn over a bit on a good flat throw, and get extra distance without loosing accuracy. I'm not big into cycling with less durable plastics though, maybe I should try that too and get a Pro to play with. My power is similar to yours. I prefer Terns (and now DDx) for distance, but on windy days I can throw Destroyers into headwinds with good results.

I agree with you that it's between the Tern and DDX...less turn than the Tern (and better feel in hand IMO), and less dumpy fade than the DDX. It's overall straighter and easier for me to throw than either of those. However it can't handle wind for me...need a star Destroyer for that. But Gstar Destroyers are I think what most people want out of them, for a 350' thrower they will be a touch of turn and a medium fade, the perfect controlled golf line but not necessarily their max D disc. Closer to 400' they have a pretty equal turn and fade, very straight for the distance and very long. I think once someone is throwing 425'+, which I don't, then it's going to be too distance-line like for them and they'll need a more overstable disc, and with 400' or so of power they can't really handle a breeze.

Well that's pretty weird.

Only thing I'm trying to avoid is a destroyer that is overly beefy and will take a long time to season. Any advice along that line would be appreciated.

Pro won't take a long time to season. Problem is, the disc will continue to break in and become flippy before too long.

Get an E-DS run Echo Star. They are lower PLH and don't take forever to season.

Ya, I have a couple pop-top Pro Destroyers that I played with for a season and they never changed.

They are stiff F2 runs, and almost feel like they have some Star polymer in them as well.

I have a CFR Pro DS I've been sitting on for awhile and need to get out and toss but it has this same description. Pro plastic is all over the place is the biggest issue. I just got a couple P-DD from Disc mania and they also feel like star and then a week later got a couple P-MD3 that feel like cheap DX. The blend is the biggest issue by far.

I'm not sure I understand the "buy a new disc and fx it up" crowd.. why on earth would you not just buy something less stable in the first place?? That's like buying a new car and deciding to run it at 8,000 RPMs for a few hours with low oil because you like that "my rings are about to go" rumble sound instead of buying a custom muffler.. 0.O
I cycle wraiths and speaking generally about it, if I have a beat in wraith that is US I know one hit probably isn't going to take it to roller land, but if I have say a mamba one hit could take it to roller.
And I mean hyzer flip to roller. Obviously a mamba is a disc fairly easy to get down to roller brand new.

Pro can be iffy plastic. It can change flight on you suddenly and without reason. I had a Pro Wraith that did. Nearly perfect condition and all of a sudden one day it went flippy. Usually people equate the change in flight of a disc with the disc having noticeable wear (road rashes,gouges, scrapes). With pro that isn't the case. I almost think that over time the plastic warps and changes shape enough to alter the flight of the disc.

I had similar recently. I have a pro that I was intentionally abusing, not chain link fence, but id throw a few second tee shots directly into the trees not to far down the fairway. From one round to the next it went from still kinda stable to always finishing on the US side of center. I assume I hit a tree root or a rock, but I didn't notice one.

I cycle wraiths and speaking generally about it, if I have a beat in wraith that is US I know one hit probably isn't going to take it to roller land, but if I have say a mamba one hit could take it to roller.
And I mean hyzer flip to roller. Obviously a mamba is a disc fairly easy to get down to roller brand new.

I had similar recently. I have a pro that I was intentionally abusing, not chain link fence, but id throw a few second tee shots directly into the trees not to far down the fairway. From one round to the next it went from still kinda stable to always finishing on the US side of center. I assume I hit a tree root or a rock, but I didn't notice one.

Wait, intentionally hitting trees on what I assume were full rips, but the stability was lost from maybe, perhaps, possibly a tree root? :confused:

Pro won't take a long time to season. Problem is, the disc will continue to break in and become flippy before too long.

Dude, didn't you say in another thread that you hadn't thrown a pro destroyer in like 4 years? That blend has changed over time, so stop bagging on it if you aren't actually throwing or buying them. The recent pro I've bought hasn't felt or worn the same as pro I bought even a couple years ago...

Wait, intentionally hitting trees on what I assume were full rips, but the stability was lost from maybe, perhaps, possibly a tree root? :confused:

Sorry, I didn't explain that we'll enough. It wasn't showing the kind of wear you would expect, at first. It would still fight out of an anny line you put it on. The last throw the round before was an open field shot. Than the next round I could force it to hold an anny line nearly all the way down. Though, thinking back to could have possibly been a wind difference. I cannot recall how the wind was now.

So just to illustrate my point about the pro blend changing over time, here are a few examples. The oldest pro currently in my stable is an F2 Pro Destroyer I bought about 3-4 years ago (can't remember precisely but it's been a while). It's very stiff Pro, feels great in the hand, but definitely not the most durable. It actually hasn't been in my bag all that much (although it currently is because it's a bomber now); it's been used mostly in field practice. I remember it started out very overstable but it lost that pretty quickly in field practice. It's got a couple gashes from tree hits. This is definitely cycling plastic which isn't going to hold up forever. It might be the closest I have to "changes stability from one tree hit" although I definitely haven't experienced nearly that quick of a change personally.

Then I have a couple Pro Thunderbirds I bought last year. These feel a LOT like Star. They're relatively stiff like current Star, but not as stiff as that older Pro. The one I throw flies identically to my Star Thunderbird. Either the Pro or a Star is in my bag most of the time; they are pretty much interchangeable for me. The Pro hasn't lost any noticeable HSS yet despite some tree hits. If I could buy all my Star discs in this blend of Pro, it would be a great, cheap alternative since it seems nearly identical.

Then just a couple weeks ago I ordered a couple Pro Destroyers online. They are both quite a bit more flexible and a little softer than the Thunderbirds. The most flexible one is more flexible than some GStar I have. It reminds me of the "soft Star" blend from 3 years ago. I have no idea how these will wear in yet. If I had a guess, they will probably beat in quicker than the Thunderbird, but probably not as quickly as the older Pro Destroyer.

So anyway, my experience is that Pro is "like a box of chocolates" in that some blends wear pretty quickly and some wear almost as slowly as Star. If you can handle it in the store and you've thrown some of it, you'll probably have a better idea of what you're getting from the feel. I already have a decent sized collection of Destroyers so I don't mind a little variety when I order more. If it's soft, it will be better in cold weather like the GStars I have. If it wears quickly, it will get to the bomber stage faster. If it's more Star-like, it can take the overstable slot for longer. I don't need a $10 disc to last me 5 years; I'm going to buy more anyway because I love buying discs, so having a disc beat in over a year or two doesn't really bother me that much.

i picked up some pro discs for this year and i'm really curious to see how they'll break in. the plastic feels completely different than a few years ago. very star-like as hugheshilton said.

What the hell, just ordered one from DGU along with a couple DDX's and a champ Eagle.

I love not having a budget. If there's money in my checking account, I can buy discs.

Just picked up a pro destroyer from PIAS today for $4.99, at least 8/10 condition. Fairly flat and the plastic feels star like, similar to the pro wraiths I have. This is the first destroyer I've grabbed, probably too much disc for my noodle arm but WTH for 5 bucks.

Latest posts