• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Beatin' in an XL

curveball4

* Ace Member *
If there are other threads link it. But anyways, I have a Z that is pretty darn straight & thought about getting an X to try to beat into my U/S-turnover slot. Anybody else beat in an XL? What were the results? I have a Vision & a Leopard but wanted something in between & I'm probably going to put up the Vision, & my beloved 4X JK, & stick with speed 7 or slower for a while. Or is there a better option around speed 7? Thanks for the info.

X XLs, depending on PLH can be great, long turnover discs right out of the box. Somewhat more like a longer Pro Leopard

You want it low for turnovers right out of the box, but even one with higher PLH will turn some and just come back more at first but will break in somewhat quickly to turnover at above 300' of power.

I've had two XL's one Z and the other ESP. The ESP was less stable than the Z and I used it for long turnover shots. At this point they get to flipy for me, even new. The Z (for me) would work for what you are looking for but the slot has been filled by the River, a Lat 64 disc. I get a litle more glide from it and I use it for hallways or a utility driver (its right next to my stalker, an other disc you may want to look at). It soulds like your looking for a good utility driver / fairway driver? Is that right?

Esp are awesome in stages of wear. The Old Elite X ones are awesome rollers when beat in. I was an XL control driver guy for a long time, but recently switching up my mids made me rethink my drivers.

beating in an X XL takes about 2 tree whacks and voila you have a roller. but the XL is great for control drives. I may go back to mine.

Newer X XLs are still awesome :) super straight all around when new, smooth turnover discs later. Fade overall slighter than an X XL even when new, and while my beat Z still wants to flex out when given a little heigth, a broken in X will never come back. I have 2-3 in my bag: 1 Z - new or seasoned depending mainly on wind, and 1 seasoned X + a new one for beating in, or a beat one if I'm in the woods or when it's wet.

I have an old Pro XL and a new Z. Both are still stable, but I cant wait for the Pro XL to be seasoned for a nice roller. I am also working on my Z XS which is turning into a nice turnover driver. That would be my suggestion for an alternative.

I have a Z-XL, and a Pro-D. The D is the waxy kind, so I hate throwing it, but my one and only ace was with that Z XL. I'm afraid to throw it now, because I don't want to lose it.

Not trying to thread jack but how would a beat x XL compare to a X Xpress?

The X Xpress is ridiculously flippy, IMO unless you want a roller don't get it in X, get it in Z. Nice and Straight.

As for Z vs. X in the XL I would stick with the Z, because it will hold up a little longer than the X and once it beats will turn into a nice hyzer flip disc and turn over disc. If you are willing to shell out $10 every 1-2 months don't do the X and stick with the Z.

Have you thought about a River?

I actually have a 166 OL River but it is WAY more stable than expected, almost Teebird-ish. I'm trying to beat it to death to make it the "Leopard on steriods" I was expecting but I only get to play on weekends this time of year so it is slow going. I'll probably end up sticking to beating the River into submission but Opto plastic seems bulletproof, just wondered how the XL experiment might turn out. I have an Elite Pro I got in a trade but never really threw it because it's tye-dye & blends in with leaves pretty well

I actually have a 166 OL River but it is WAY more stable than expected, almost Teebird-ish. I'm trying to beat it to death to make it the "Leopard on steriods" I was expecting but I only get to play on weekends this time of year so it is slow going. I'll probably end up sticking to beating the River into submission but Opto plastic seems bulletproof, just wondered how the XL experiment might turn out. I have an Elite Pro I got in a trade but never really threw it because it's tye-dye & blends in with leaves pretty well

How long have you had the river? It took me about a month or 2 to get a good line on it. Now I can get it to do what ever I want. I has a tendency to fly strait with no fade at the end. If I need fade I would disc up to a Stalker or a Striker depending on distance. Keep with it before you give it up. These Lat 64 are fun discs but you have to hit them just right to get the right flight pattern. I think they have less forgivness than most... this can be good and bad.

What are you wanting to use the XL for? Main driver? Fairway drive / Utility? A long range Pulling disc? Roller? The XL is great on so many diff levels (I wish I had room in my bag just to cary one). The problem I see with that x plastic is how fast it beets in. ESP is usualy pritty flipy and may work. Just a thought.

For long turn overs I recomend a domey esp, x, or ep.
Been using an old x since I lost my esp. My x has no chunks or deformities:)

beating in an X XL takes about 2 tree whacks and voila you have a roller.

I can't say I agree. I had an X XL that I threw for years and never was it ready for a "great roller", and here in Northern Michigan, we have us a few trees here and there. The only reason I don't throw it anymore is that I got my 1st ace with it. :D

Latest posts