• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

beer sponsors for PDGA events?

Kinda takes the "family" atmosphere out of the game. and like others have said, OFF bug spray, some sort of sunscreen, maybe someone like Gatorade/Coke would be good. More outdoor products than beer...

Beer sponsors have been in Disc Golf since the start. It does seem that it has not been as prevelent recently as it was in the past. I work for Coors and I really don't know why they would not sponsor a DG event if they were asked to.

THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE OR TRADE SO DON'T ASK....

Here are two 1985 XD's with Coors logos on them
KGrHqVpcE9eMM4r4ZBPfLtZr060_57.jpg

IMG_20120114_212114.jpg

The stamp on that first disc is sick. I love old-school stamps, plus, it's Oklahoma. What can be better?

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:
Being a tournament sponsor doesnt mean that the company would be pouring beers on site or corrupting the youth. NFL, MLB, UFC, and WSOP all, in one way or another, use alchohols appeal to drive profits. By the way, you could argue Soda is less healthy, and therefore a less desirable sponsor, than beer.

Anderson Valley has a disc golf course on the site of there brewery. Seems like a good place to start for you West Coasters... Plus Boont Amber Ale is amazing.

Also in last years PDGA demographics survey, one of the questions was "Should the PDGA approach more alcohol sponsors"?

Seems to me beer sponsors would be perfect for PDGA events.

I'm sure you're referring to supertours and national tour events, but New Belgium has sponsored the Mid-America Open for quite some time now. Not marquee level sponsorship (which would be absolutely awesome) but they provide brew for the players party every year I've played.

Shove it you big well known sponsors our sport is so huge and well known we can pick and choose our sponsors!

:|

I feel a marketing class might do people some good. When you think of ball golf do you only think of beer, boobs, and wings because of the old Hooters tour?

Shove it you big well known sponsors our sport is so huge and well known we can pick and choose our sponsors!

:|

I feel a marketing class might do people some good. When you think of ball golf do you only think of beer, boobs, and wings because of the old Hooters tour?

I think of a Drunk John Daly and John Gruden as his caddy.

Visit Menomonie Open

There was a tournament in Wisconsin just a few days ago, and they gave out FREE beer! Could just be a WI thing I guess, but why wouldn't you have beer available? It's legal, people love it and there will probably be more people around if there is beer.

I don't see a problem with a beer sponsor. PDGA rules state that you can't drink while playing, they have plenty of money to throw around, and I think it has wider appeal than a niche outdoor company.

I don't see a problem with a beer sponsor. PDGA rules state that you can't drink while playing, they have plenty of money to throw around, and I think it has wider appeal than a niche outdoor company.

What about Busch N.A. or O'Doul's being a sponsor, then you could drink some terrible non alcoholic beer and still play in a sanctioned event:hfive:

On a side note, should woodchuck even be considered beer?

I do not see much wrong with a beer sponsor, but I do not think Worlds will ever be sponsored by any alcohol or tobacco product because of "image"

I like the idea.

It would help the sport grow big time. Sure waiting at tee's is no fun, but it puts a smile on my face when I see new people playing.

The only thing I hate about beer on the course is the litter that it produces. I know that most people pick up their cans, but it only takes one A hole to ruin everyone's image.

Me and my buddy's take a couple beers every now and then, but not every time. It should be a nice treat, not a need for disc golf. Which some chuckers seem to think that is the case.

I don't think the PDGA is as crazy and strict as you are making us out to be, I am running a charity event here at the IDGC on April 28th. We got alcohol permits from the county and are having a beer truck with 3 kegs donated to the event.

The players in the CEP C Tier event will not be able to drink, obviously from the time their card is out until it is turned in. The players in the one round non sanctioned corporate team challenge part of the event will have a cart girl (donated by Club Car) taking drinks throughout that course. The C Tier participants will be able to enjoy beers at $2 a piece (all money goes to charity) during their free lunch and dinner.

So yes I think its a great idea to get beer distributors/companies as a sponsor for your local events. As long as you have the correct permits for your park and obey PDGA rules.

^ Good explanation. Shine some truth on people sipping haterade.

Anderson Valley has a disc golf course on the site of there brewery. Seems like a good place to start for you West Coasters... Plus Boont Amber Ale is amazing.

AVBC sponsors many disc golf events in the NorCal area, including running a tournament at their course every year...hell AVBC and Bandit wines were my 2 biggest sponsors for my Ace Race last year (other than discraft obviously...). Much props to both of those companies. :thmbup::thmbup:

Also, I think people are confusing the issue of beer sponsors and the sport. Beer sponsorships (as proven) are not shied away from because of the PDGA. They don't come regularly because we don't have enough of an audience/spectator draw yet. How many people are at NFL games every sunday in the fall? At least half a million. Add TV viewership to that and you see why they sponsor it.

If we start having a gallery at NT events of a few thousand people, I'm sure Anhyzer Busch will have no problem throwing money at the event and selling brews to the spectators. In any league of any sport, the sponsorship is about the audiences' dollars, not the athletes'.