• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner backhand throwing advise

Redwingsrox5

I've only 3 weeks into learning how to throw a disc. I did take a slow motion video, that I'm quite embarrassed to post because I can see a lot wrong with it. Anyway, what's some advise for just starting out throwing a backhand? I currently dont do a run up, because I'm working on form more than anything and have been told adding that to it would just confuse and make things worse for now. The few things I've noticed and have been told are:

1. When I throw I come up in my stance and don't shift weight forward
2. I don't always follow through when I throw (possibly because I dont do a run up and have momentum)
3. I bring my arm up and throw high (could be because of #2)
4. In my slow motion I noticed my disc isn't flat when I'm coming through (possible grip? wrist angle?)

What's some suggestions on starting out? I know practice practice practice, but is there some drills ya'll have done or steps to work on the throw? Basically trying to break it down, step by step so I dont think about 7 different things during my throw. Thanks

Have fun and be patient. At this stage of the game don't get too caught up in video analysis. 3 weeks isn't a long time.

Just me but you most likely haven't yet developed any bad habits so keep working on it. It's harder to fix your form after a few years of throwing bad with all the musclememorythings etc. IMO.

But ofc have fun also!

You should still have momentum and follow through from a stand still. Throw slower neutral to understable discs as you are learning. And work from the hit backward:

3. I bring my arm up and throw high (could be because of #2)
4. In my slow motion I noticed my disc isn't flat when I'm coming through (possible grip? wrist angle?)

All newbies release high.....I did it, my friends all did it...every Newb I've ever seen throw, does it....it takes a few months to get the arm trained.

Main focus....get the disc to release flat....work on wrist positioning.

Keep your arm close to your chest.......this will create a better "snap" at the release point, do not "come around" your body .

If you add an X step, keep it slow at first, until you feel comfortable enough to add a run up ...when I was practicing my X step, people probably thought I was crazy, going up and down the driveway practicing my foot work (you don't even need a disc).

Also using the "pop the towel" technique, will help....grip a small towel like you would your disc...practice your throw, using the towel, just don't let go of the towel...the idea is to get the towel to "snap" at the end.

Good luck, keep throwing, you can only improve...I've been at it about 3 years, and still have lots of room to improve....

Do you recommend working on the walk up now or just keep practicing stand still?

Speaking as someone not too far removed from the newbie stage, I'd suggest throwing from a standstill or one-step for now. The less moving parts the better!

Speaking as someone not too far removed from the newbie stage, I'd suggest throwing from a standstill or one-step for now. The less moving parts the better!

It's true, you'll throw farther and more accurately from a standstill than you will from a crappy run up. Plus with the run up, if you're not throwing far that day, you'll subconsciously keep going faster and faster, making it worse. If you stay with the stand still you'll have to do it proper.

Better body positions in a standstill get way easier distance than worse form with a run up.

Thanks. I was just wondering because some people had suggested doing a run/walk up because it'll help with getting my weight transfer.

Better body positions in a standstill get way easier distance than worse form with a run up.

This^^^

And after you get the feel for it, before just going into walk ups and slow run ups, get used to a one step throw. Basically just lifting and stepping with your plant foot. For me it was good way to feel what my plant foot was supposed to be doing at the end of the run up. That crush the can feeling.

And for me in the beginning, I hated the Beto drill and still do! When I was new and just started out without and advice from better players, all it taught me to do was strong arm. Step, step arm! Grrrr

Last edited:
Some things to think about, don't run up, walk up. That gives you lots of time to set up the parts of your throw, and still get weight transfer. Alternatively, you can stand still, lift your lead foot back and step into the throw. Think pitcher, the guy takes one step and delivers.

Personally, I take the walk up, it's part of the throw, but don't focus on it focus on your upper body mechanics, and slow the walk/run up to fit the mechanics of your throw.

Back in the day, the throwing motion used to be called the lawn mower throw. The reasoning was that the movement your arm goes through is similar to that of a pull start on a lawn mower. As you pull the handle, your elbow bends bringing the handle closer to your chest. The problem with this analogy is that in starting a lawn mower, you are applying maximum power right from the start to get the engine turning over. In a throw, that part of the throw, which I call the load, is relaxed and easy. Once the disc is loaded, close to the chest, you begin to twist your body, and unbend at the elbow. You only really apply maximum power and effort in the last half of the unbend, or about the last third of the entire throw. The first two thirds of the throw get the body set up for the unbend, and move the disc in, bending the wrist in towards the body, at the unload, the wrist flexes out, snapping the disc out of your hand. Think snapping a towel. Every thing is relaxed up until you snap the towel just before it hits the target. The snap only really effects the tip of the towel. In the throw, the load, and early part of the unload serve to set up a snap of your wrist at the hit or release point.

Thanks. I was just wondering because some people had suggested doing a run/walk up because it'll help with getting my weight transfer.

Feel free to keep experimenting with it so it isn't a foreign feeling to do an X-step...but the point that we have all gone through is that unless you have the body positions to actually harness any lower body energy, extra movement or speed from a walk or run up is only going to add complications rather than power.

Latest posts