• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner compiling a bag of discs

This brings up a somewhat OT question: How do you throw wide-rim drivers?

Because I don't get the Spectra. Yes, it ends up straight of where I threw it instead of fading way off left, but it needs lots of room. It flies out right then fades back and there doesn't seem to be much ability to change the flight pattern. I find it much easier to throw a Tracker farther and on a rope even though it supposedly has more fade. I can even throw right turns with the Tracker.

I seem to have a lot of problem with the wider rim drivers. I know a lot of them require a bigger arm than I have, but that's not supposed to be the case with the Spectra. I don't know if it's because I have small hands or what.

twmccoy said:
When I first started, I carried a DX eagle, cheetah, shark and spider. I quickly ditched the eagle, cheetah and shark in favor of the orc, buzz and flash. Lets just say that my first throw with the orc was an eye opener after being disappointed in the distance of the eagle.

Here are a few current long drivers I'd recommend to beginners

Sidewinder: Long, tons of glide and little fade.
Roadrunner: same
Beast 2X: Very fast yet somewhat understable
Spectra: Super long and easy to throw. This disc is the easiest yardage money can buy.
Dragon: This disc has a ton of naysayers, but IMO it will outfly an archangel any day. Some are more overstable than others.

Any one of these drivers will provide weaker arms with the maximum possible yardage.

an Orion LS fits right in with these as well

1. Tracker is a great disc to use as your main driver. Who cares how wide the rim is.
2. I couldn't get the "miracle distance" out of the Spectra that everyone told me I would either.
3. Best, easiest to throw, wide winged drivers (IMHO) are the Sidewinder and Roadrunner. A 168g Champ Sidewinder would be ideal, I think, for you.
4. I found that until I had the snap to throw a hyzer flip, anything with a wide rim was useless to me.

Yeah, the spectra is definitely not a miracle disc, but for calm or downwind conditions, it will hang with anything out there. The spectra would go way farther if it had less low speed fade. Mine just stops and dies instead of gliding to a stop like a sidewinder. I personally think the 2X beast is the easiest wide rim driver to throw (never thrown an orion).

I'd say the orion is a cross between a starfire and a valkyrie

discmonkey42 said:
1. Tracker is a great disc to use as your main driver. Who cares how wide the rim is.
2. I couldn't get the "miracle distance" out of the Spectra that everyone told me I would either.
3. Best, easiest to throw, wide winged drivers (IMHO) are the Sidewinder and Roadrunner. A 168g Champ Sidewinder would be ideal, I think, for you.
4. I found that until I had the snap to throw a hyzer flip, anything with a wide rim was useless to me.

Yea, a guy we played a round with the other day was throwing a champ sidewinder pretty well, said it was his favorite disc.

So, now I'm looking at getting either a sidewinder or teebird-L (any reason to pick one over the other?). And which plastic should I get it in?

I'm still trying to figure out what to get Camellia for her distance driver. I've seen the leopard recommended a couple times. Do you all agree that would be good for her? And I wonder if the 150 class would be too light for her (i assume she could get distance but would sacrifice alot of control, she gets real squirrely with her 146 roc when she tries to throw it with any distance, drives/long midrange shots, etc) or the 160 too heavy?

I've really been enjoying this thread. Lots of good discussion.

Sidewinder is more of a stable to understable disc; this will be your turn over disc while the teebird I believe is stable maybe a touch overstable. I haven't thrown it enough to tell you as I prefer cyclones.

Oh, i threw a star teebird: it is a bit overstable. I didn't turn it over even though I was trying to (just to test it's stability and see if it would come back).

To sum up : the sidewinder will go straight and probably turn over (right).
teebird went straight for me with a slight fade to the left.

Very different discs.

150 class disc is okay for her and leopard is a great choice. For plastics, Champ sidewinder and star teebird would be my choice. Hope this helps!

TexasOutlaw said:
Sidewinder is more of a stable to understable disc; this will be your turn over disc while the teebird I believe is stable maybe a touch overstable. I haven't thrown it enough to tell you as I prefer cyclones.

Oh, i threw a star teebird: it is a bit overstable. I didn't turn it over even though I was trying to (just to test it's stability and see if it would come back).

To sum up : the sidewinder will go straight and probably turn over (right).
teebird went straight for me with a slight fade to the left.

Very different discs.

150 class disc is okay for her and leopard is a great choice. For plastics, Champ sidewinder and star teebird would be my choice. Hope this helps!

Ok, I'm going to use the suggestions here and get:

champ sidewinder 168-172 (haven't made a final decision on weight)
star teebird(-L?) weight? (should I get the -L?)

and a 150 class leopard (plastic?) for Cam.

just need to make final weight and plastic decisions and I'll be good to go.

sounds like a good variety for beginners, I would suggest the teebird over the teebird l if youre going to be carrying a sidewinder. The teebird will handle winds better than a teebird L, and you would probably perfer the sidewinder for right turns and hyzerflips.

if youre getting a 150 leapord I would say DX would be easiest to handle for beginners.
(and if you are looking for one, I have one Id sell for 4$ + 2$ for shipping)

Thatdirtykid said:
sounds like a good variety for beginners, I would suggest the teebird over the teebird l if youre going to be carrying a sidewinder. The teebird will handle winds better than a teebird L, and you would probably perfer the sidewinder for right turns and hyzerflips.

if youre getting a 150 leapord I would say DX would be easiest to handle for beginners.
(and if you are looking for one, I have one Id sell for 4$ + 2$ for shipping)

ok that makes sense between the sidewinder and the teebird (-L), champ and star respectively, what about final weights? should I take 168 over 172 in the sidewinder, and what weight for the teebird?

dx for the leopard for Cam should be perfect.

Id say the mid/high 160's (so 165-169) is the best for beginners with moderate arm strength. I still perfer 168-172 for my weight range in distance drivers, and I dont know anyone who would call me a weenie arm. Im even known to throw low 160s stuff. You will find a weight that suits you, but when youre still in persuit of form, I would suggest not carrying heavier stuff, because it does not perform as well and it hides mistakes better (which is bad when youre trying to learn anything)

Ok, I bought a champ sidewinder 168 today and I absolutely love it. I was also given a few discs today:

champion cobra 179 very good/near new condition
pro valk 172 slightly beat
classic roc unknown weight beat to crap

Give that valk a few throws and I think you will love it too. I still like throwing valks occasionally because they are so fast and easy to turn over if necessary.

that beat up classic rock should fly dead straight for you

twmccoy said:
Give that valk a few throws and I think you will love it too. I still like throwing valks occasionally because they are so fast and easy to turn over if necessary.

Yea I took Cam out for a round at a course we hadn't tried before called Bud Hill and she stole my new sidewinder. I threw the valk a couple times and really liked the line it took. I mostly used the cobra and liked the straight line and good glide it got. On out way home we stopped and got her a 150 class leopard. She threw it in the field when we got home and likes it. Which means I get my sidewinder back, and all is good.

Thank you to everybody for the tons of good advice on disc selection. We played great rounds and had a ton of fun.

I personally think the 2X beast is the easiest wide rim driver to throw (never thrown an orion).

yep. I have to get another one. A broken-in DX Beast for anhyzers is far superior to anything else I've ever thrown. Wish I hadn't left mine in the park while practicing.

For hyzer flips though a DX Valk is easier, and is certainly better for my wife.

I think everything was covered by previous posters. I was just going to add some stuff about weight. I still prefer discs in the upper 160s to lower 170s. My lightest discs are 165 avengers, and I bought them light on purpose so that they would turn over and come back.

A sidewinder at about 166-168 is a good choice. This is a turn over disc and hyzer flip disc, so the lower weight ensures that it will turn over.

My first sidewinder was max weight, and it was more straight than turn over. Since it was champion plastic, it never has quite beat up. Then I bought a 169: oh boy what a difference. It is a long right turn driver (which is what I wanted).

first off, its cool to finally find a good forum about disc golf ;)

my wife and I used to play alot and we had a good array discs... we moved a few moths ago and our bag disappeared with all our discs in it.. :(

We mainly use innova discs as thats what we were able to find locally. I just recently started getting discs again and bought an Archangel Dx for both of us because it stated it was a good beginner disc. After reading this thread, I am not so sure...

I appreciate all the reponses to the original question as it has helped me decide what to purchase next...