• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner's question

ETXdiscguy

Hey guys,

True beginner here. I've played maybe five rounds total, but I throw nearly everyday out in the yard. I've noticed that most of my throws go straight for a good bit, then at the end fade off a little to the left. Is this normal? The disc I've been throwing the most is a buzzz. Should the disc go completely straight? Thanks guys! By the way I am a rhbh thrower.

for the most part yes its normal for a disc to fade at the end. A seasoned/beat up buzzz is capable of going very straight for 300' and further though before it starts to fade.

Something a little slower and more understable might be easier to make fly perfectly straight or even learn to throw turnovers and hyzerflips which finish to the right.

How far does your buzzz fly straight before it goes to the left?

If you're looking for a disc with minimal fade I suggest a tangent. Dead money straight! Also, keep 'em low to minimize fade. Any disc will fade left more when thrown high.

I guess it's flying about 100 feet or so before it fades to the left. I'm not trying to throw for distance right now, so no run up yet.

Yep, it's how a disc flies for everyone when they are first starting out. As you learn how to throw properly, you'll be able to get the disc to do different things. Don't even worry about getting any other discs until you can master the buzzz.

If you're looking for a disc with minimal fade I suggest a tangent. Dead money straight! Also, keep 'em low to minimize fade. Any disc will fade left more when thrown high.

This isn't the disc forum, and the Tangent has more fade than a Buzzz. Especially for a beginner that might be struggling with nose angles.

I started with a Z Buzzz, and it did the same thing when I first started, sucked for me as I thought every disc that was "stable" should fly straight for forever, then I learned every disc is going to have some fade to its finish. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be good to go. Spin from the wrist and start low. I still have my WTF moments and throw moon shots only to see the disc stall and fade hard to the left.

From a slightly less newb than you, I'd say don't go buying any more discs until you get that buzzz touching out to 200-250 or so with minimal fade.

For shorter shots with small fade you'll want a putter that has a low number for its "low speed stability" rating. Basically slower discs can be thrown short distances without as much fade at the end.

Don't expect midrange discs to be able to drop without fade at the end of their flight unless being thrown ~250-300', depending on the disc...even if they are rated as being "straight".

At this point practice and experience are the best things, no magic midrange will be straight. But having a putter as well if you don't is a good thing to do. The Buzzz will be a great disc for you from learning to advanced level.