• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Being in the zone

Toznak

Par Member
So much resource for technique.

Sometimes when the stars align I play a round where I am unstoppable. I just can't seem to do anything wrong. I'm in the zone.

How do you capture and recreate this mental state.

Are there any good resources that you know of that discuss mental game and getting I the zone?

Thanks

So much resource for technique.

Sometimes when the stars align I play a round where I am unstoppable. I just can't seem to do anything wrong. I'm in the zone.

How do you capture and recreate this mental state.

Are there any good resources that you know of that discuss mental game and getting I the zone?

Thanks

Mostly what stardoggy said.

I often find my best rounds im not overthinking anything. Grab the disc that first comes to mind and throw.

1. Truly warm up your body - jogging / stretching / playing catch / putting
2. Throw enough shots / holes, that before a round that your first shot will be 100% confident
3. Learn to smile when the disc has it's own plans

Sometimes it just happens. I use last weekend as an example. I am playing to establish a handicap during league and I hit 3 throw in birdies in the round from way outside my range. Since it was an establishing round I may have preferred to just miss those but when they are going in, they are going in. I had tag 30 & went home with 18.

I only ever have problems with wildly fluctuating scores (high or low) when I am not playing regularly and don't have a good feel of which of my throws are high and low percentage.

To me, everything that happens on the course comes down to statistics. You have some shots you make 20% of the time, some you make 99% of the time, and a lot that are somewhere in between. If your normal round includes taking, say ten 70% shots then on a normal round you will make seven of them and miss three. Since a round of 18 holes is nowhere near large enough a sample size to expect the average value to be true or close to true all of the time you will most likely have some rounds where you make only three of those shots and some where you make all 10. The difference between those two rounds can be the difference between +5 and -2 at the end, and that is only on those 10 shots. Add in your odds across all drives, upshots, and putts across the round and if you are shooting low-percentage shots often you will see yourself wildly fluctuate between "on" games where you are unstoppable and "off" games where you are terrible. It is easy to have "on" games way more often when you are only shooting 90% shots.

Definitely take a dump before you play, and definitely don't be overthinking things since that will negatively affect performance. Those things are both absolutely true. But I also know that a lot of disc golfers struggling to be "in the zone" are throwing a lot of throws they aren't as good at as they think they are, and consequently have "on" games where they hit everything, "off" games where they miss everything, and a lot of mediocre games in between. If you play at least weekly on the same course and your scores are frequently more than 2-3 strokes apart (depending on the course, I could easily see a punishing course like the USDGC setup being much much bigger than that) your problem is more likely your shot selection rather than mental state.

This is all of course coming from the assumption that you like minimizing your score. I derive a lot of the pleasure I get from disc golf from the constant grind of self improvement. If you get more enjoyment from pulling off big, important shots then you might just have to settle for less consistency, although you can certainly strive to make all of your shots higher percentage. If a certain throw works for you sometimes but not always, you can practice it thousands of times until you are making it a very high percentage of the time. If you do this with all of your throws you will be consistent and really really good.

Again, a lot of newbies out their. And those who haven't really competed in other sports much.

Being in the zone is key to all sports. The answer you want doesn't exist. Remember no matter how great you're play can be is almost irrelevant. It is your play based on what you play on average.

The law of averages rules, my friend-fortunately or unfortunately..

Ask Michael Johansen. That dude has the best demeanor of any elite competitor I've seen. MJ never seems to get too high or too low while playing. He may not throw as far as some of the younger guys, but his mental game is spot on.

When you are in the zone, you are out of your head.

^

Its like driving a car on the backroads flyin'. You arent thinking, just driving. So in disc golf, focus, dont think. Think beforehand, get out of your head snd throw.

Ive been practicing this. Its the thing in my mind that makes paul mcbeth the best and climo before him. Focused, not concentration.

My favorite part about playing any sport my entire life has been catching that flow state. Those moments in sports where you stop thinking and can just feel the game. I get this way in disc golf when I'm practicing a lot. I like to have days where I'll 3-4 rounds in a row at a single course and become ultra comfortable with all my discs. I'll get on the course with a gallon of water and just keep playing non-stop until my legs hurt. The next time I go out to play I'm in that zone as a result of the practice.

I equalled my best score I one of the local courses. I captured the elusive state of mind that results In good performance. I warmed up by playing a bunch of shots I 2 holes throwing backhand rollers and side arms. Did a bunch of putting at both baskets. Ran around collecting discs. So I was well warmed up.

The key thing I did differently was I was very calm. I didn't get worked up. Between shots I focused on my breathing not on disc golf. Only when i stepped up to shoot did I focus. I guess this indicates that I play better when I am calm.

I finished the round getting 4 birdies in a row and not a single bogey the hole round.

Practice with confidence. Do not expect to play better than your average under pressure. Enjoy the hot rounds when they come.

I equalled my best score I one of the local courses. I captured the elusive state of mind that results In good performance. I warmed up by playing a bunch of shots I 2 holes throwing backhand rollers and side arms. Did a bunch of putting at both baskets. Ran around collecting discs. So I was well warmed up.

The key thing I did differently was I was very calm. I didn't get worked up. Between shots I focused on my breathing not on disc golf. Only when i stepped up to shoot did I focus. I guess this indicates that I play better when I am calm.

I finished the round getting 4 birdies in a row and not a single bogey the hole round.

Grammar Nazis have mercy