• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Being the Rule Nazi?

wheres the incentive?/punishment if player decides not to call a violation.

He is seen as a "laid back" guy????

I have been penalized/warned maybe 3 times....2 were hella shady. <----yea I said it

Last edited:
must be from northern california where they are "hella dumb" I believe E40 states it.

this is just a funny joke. nothin more.

Last edited:
give the guy a break, man... he throws discraft.

Says the guy who has only Discraft plastic listed in his signature.....

BTW I was once only threw Gateway.....so infer what you will....No Innova since 2004

I forgot to add the sarcasm sprinkles scooter. I figured you would know by looking at my sig, but I guess that's why you throw discraft.

Anyway, the question I want to ask is: How do you balance being sociable with your group, especially lower divisions, with acting as referee over the other players?

tl;dr I saw a few rules violations :D

Respectfully, you're not a referee. Your cardmates and you work together to self enforce the rules.

And when it comes to enforcing rules, being sociable is not the objective. The balance you speak of is shown when rules are enforced in a respectful manner.

Read below re: legal "putt jumps".

The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

So this discussion is relevant from the standpoint that ideas that might resolve the issue or handle it better might emerge. But so far, the RC feels the best candidate to improve the situation balancing the tradeoffs may be to increase the putting circle distance. But they're not willing to pull the trigger on that idea yet in the hope some other brainstorm may be better.

Getting back to the rule nazi thing I think that if its a non-PDGA event player that causes the infraction should be told why its a bad idea and given a kind of warning in the teaching sense. If your in a PDGA event you don't get a warning; if you want to compete in a sanctioned event you follow the rules friends or no friends.

Also on a side note I thought that the mini marker rule is no more and it's a choice between marking your disc with a mini or playing from where your disc lies?

I was playing a casual round with some friends last summer.. and this guy was playing a round by himself behind us.. he would literally finish the previous hole, right as we were about to start the next one. The first time this happened we asked if he would like to play through cause there was 3 of us and 1 of him. He declined, so we thought whatever and continued to play. About half way through the round he asked if he could take us up on our offer to play through and we said of course, no problem. We all tee'd off, one of my friends' discs landed on the left side of a pathway (In tourney play it's always out of bounds) but for casual rounds we usually just play from where it lands to make the game go faster..... this guy literally freaked out, yelling about how he went out of bounds and now that he played from where it landed he automatically gains a stroke, causing a huge scene. Personally if you're going to call someone out on "breaking a rule" at least be courteous/professional about it... and not immature, making you look like a huge D-bag.

Yes you SHOULD call any violation on anyone.

But I hardly ever do it. The lower you go down the tournament standings, the more rules violations you will see. But in the same way, the lower you go down the rankings, the less it matters.

I only call rule violations when they happen in like the first 3 carts of a event. The rest isnt even in the money, so I realy couldnt care less. If 800-ranked amateur 1 realy wants to beat 799-ranked amateur 2, then he will have to watch for the rules himself, I dont care.

I like the responses I'm getting. Theres a lot of people that feel the same way I do that there is a fine mine between calling a violation and being a douche.

Respectfully, you're not a referee. Your cardmates and you work together to self enforce the rules.

And when it comes to enforcing rules, being sociable is not the objective. The balance you speak of is shown when rules are enforced in a respectful manner.

Read below re: legal "putt jumps".
The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

Whenever I bring up jump putting some act like it's old news and there's nothing wrong with it.
Jump putting will be eliminated by allowing the players to do it, even releasing the disc while in the air. The difference is they must land behind their marker after releasing the disc.
IMO, it's more important that players release their disc from behind the marker than having a supporting point on the ground.
If they would make this a rule I would give 10-1 odds the jump putters would stop jumping. Because it is also my opinion that the people who jump putt do it to get around the current rules and give them self an advantage.

usually the ones who are "cheating on purpose" are the ones that get the loudest. It is a delicate situation, just stay cool and when they start to get loud and obnoxious just start handing out strokes. I have only had to give somebody a stroke once in 5 years of tournaments. Usually I bring it up in discussion (not as a warning) and that is usually the end of it. If the person you call out gets pissy or the group gets quiet or pissy as well, just remember that its not your fault its theirs.

We have a few people that play tournaments around us that have been called out as rule Nazi's, but I really don't think its because they call people on a lot of rule violations, its because of the way they call people out. They act like the little brother that rats you out to your parents. Just be respectful, but firm when you call out a rule violation........And remember that you need a second. Most of the rule Nazis know this so if you get called out for something that you, deep down, don't feel you did.......always ask for a second. Thats my two cents

I guess I will jump in this discussion. We as a community need to figure out what type of game we are going to be.

Let me explain with some examples:

1. The America's Cup (for those that do not know, it is a International Yatch race - Sailboats) - For most of the 160 years of this race, each team used identical boats. There were rules about how heavy, how wide, how long, how many sails, etc. The idea was to make it a competition about the skill of the sailors not the boats. Same can be said about Nascar.

2. Basketball - Now I know I am going to be beat-up about this one but here it goes. Basketball has rules also, but not all of them are called. If a guy ran with the ball from mid-court without dribbling, the foul would be called. But how many three second rules are called? I see guys in the box for 5 - 6 seconds and it is never called.

3. Ball Golf - For the majority of ball golfers, you are not playing with the world watching on TV. And for the most part, you could be 20 - 30 yards apart from your playing partner after your drive. It would be pretty easy to cheat, move your ball alittle to get a better lie. But you don't because it is a 'Gentleman's Game' and if you get caught cheating, you are called out on it and no-one will play with you.

So what kind of sport are we?
Do we adhere to the strick rules like the America's Cup and Nascar?
Do we only call flagrant fouls like in Basketball?
Or do we self-police like ball golf?

Now go bake a cake!!

In a tournament, it is your obligation to know and follow the rules of the game. If you dont want to play by the rules then dont enter a tournament!

We had 2 guys get booted from the Columbus Ice Bowl yesterday. Not sure why though. I know there was a few players complaining about ilicit drug use during the break, and just a few holes in to the second round, they were asked to leave. My guess was b/c of the talk going around at lunch, but thats just my GUESS. Not sure the exact reason. But again, a case of "rule nazi's," I suppose.

They were drinking moonshine and acting like drunken idiots. The one guy apparently threw and then threw up. They were also being disrespectful to other players. I heard several stories about their behavior, but I wasn't there when they got kicked out so I can't say what exactly was the final straw. I also heard that Paul Jay banned them from PDGA events for a month.

While the Columbus Ice Bowl was a charity event, it was also a sanctioned C-tier.

They were drinking moonshine and acting like drunken idiots. The one guy apparently threw and then threw up. They were also being disrespectful to other players. I heard several stories about their behavior, but I wasn't there when they got kicked out so I can't say what exactly was the final straw. I also heard that Paul Jay banned them from PDGA events for a month.

While the Columbus Ice Bowl was a charity event, it was also a sanctioned C-tier.

I was there as well. It is a shame that guys can't leave that stuff at home. It has no place on the course.

stupid question

can you do a jump putt to the side? or a diving side ways jump putt as long as u release before u touch the ground?

Latest posts