• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Benefits of bag and straps vs backpack?

I carry 11 discs, no need for a backpack here. Maybe if I was playing courses that were 5+ miles long or something.

What puts the bag + quads over backpack styles for me is something hangwind touched on. When I set my bag down, I like that my discs are right there looking up at me from a wide opening. I play with a lot of guys that have Grip bags and Dualpacks. And when they're not going for one of the putters poking out the top, they have to bend down to look into the lower compartment or tip the bag back to get the disc they want. Seems like a hassle to me.

I get that backpacks are designed for less fatigue. But I don't use a very big bag anyways. So fatigue isn't usually an issue for me. I also don't carry hoodies or camelbacks or anything like that, which would be better served by a backpack-style bag.

Pros and cons, I guess. But what I look for and like in a bag are just more easily found in a regular bag with comfortable quads.

I would love a disc golf backpack that does not make me look like I am carrying a hideous sofa on my back. I have recently switched to using my camelbak rim runner backpack, from the innova competition with quads. Getting at the discs is not as convenient, but it feels like I am wearing nothing at all.

I like that my discs are right there looking up at me from a wide opening. I play with a lot of guys that have Grip bags and Dualpacks. And when they're not going for one of the putters poking out the top, they have to bend down to look into the lower compartment or tip the bag back to get the disc they want. Seems like a hassle to me.

I'm going to have to agree with this. That is one thing I definitely like about my Revo bag. However, if I bring my stool and set the Grip on, it's not as big of an issue.

I'm going to have to agree with this. That is one thing I definitely like about my Revo bag. However, if I bring my stool and set the Grip on, it's not as big of an issue.

Honestly, if I played in a lot of weekend tournaments; carried a stool, spare clothes, extra shoes, food, etc. Then I would absolutely go the backpack route.

I definitely see the draw of them depending on what you do and how you play.

Waiting to see what Hyzer Bombs Flack backpack looks like. I've got two herniated discs in my lower spine and carrying my Carolina is no fun right now. I'd use a cart for my discs but I've already got one with a baby in it.

im also looking forward to see what the flak looks like.. I have a crunch box that is filled to the max and I know that i'd rather have a backpack rather than the crunch with quads. Plus the crunch with quads doesn't look the best 9 (brother in law said it looks more like a purse)

i dont understand the liking of a backpack...do you reminisce of you walk to high school evertime you put it on? I put on my friends grip when he had it loaded and it felt like senior year with all my books and crud.

I've used the straps on a few different bags and they were all ok, the Kong was my favorite. None of them can compare to the comfort I have when wearing my Mahal.

i dont understand the liking of a backpack...do you reminisce of you walk to high school evertime you put it on? I put on my friends grip when he had it loaded and it felt like senior year with all my books and crud.

When I went to school you carried your books in your arms or in a squarish bookbag with handles on top. You kids today have it SO hard. :doh:

I like my shoulder strap, but been thinking 'bout adding quads for long hikes, i.e., 1/4 mile from #18 back to the car at Pier Park. And half the holes have 100 yds between basket and next tee.

Last edited:
I have a DIY backpack and a Chimp, like both for different reasons. The backpack has much more storage for discs and other things, is a little bulkier and harder to get on/off, but feels better on the back because the weight is distributed. The chimp is smaller but easier to get on/off, I can just drop the discs in the top and takes less time between shots, but definitely is not as comfortable on the back.

I have had a lat64 pro, innova comp, and a fishing tacklebag (spiderwire)
I just recently turned a backpack into a dg backpack and love it, I carry about 16 discs in it. I noticed it rides better on my back and can breath better and less fatigue.

It is going to be my tourney bag since fatigue is a factor not many people think about. Here it is total cost 60 dollars

backpack.jpg

IMG_20120227_212555.jpg

IMG_20120227_212541.jpg

Could someone post a list of disc golf backpack manufactures?
Model info would be cool too, but I can do my own homework if I just had the manufacturer names.

What puts the bag + quads over backpack styles for me is something hangwind touched on. When I set my bag down, I like that my discs are right there looking up at me from a wide opening. I play with a lot of guys that have Grip bags and Dualpacks. And when they're not going for one of the putters poking out the top, they have to bend down to look into the lower compartment or tip the bag back to get the disc they want. Seems like a hassle to me.

^^This. I recently got quads and it took some adjusting over just a single strap on my bag. Once I got used to it, I rather like it. I've seen backpack type bags and while I get the concept that they are comfortable to wear while walking, there's too many time you have to put your bag down to make it worth the tradeoff for some potential comfort.

The only issue I have is for those short walks, you need to add a single handle to pick up and carry the bag. Luckily the Lat pro bag has extra hooks on top for attaching quads and/or a single strap.

Model info would be cool too, but I can do my own homework if I just had the manufacturer names.

The backpacks I know of are Grip, Revolution (dual pack) and GorillaBoy (simian).

Ogio, mystery ranch mahal, revolution dual pack, gorilla boy simian, gateway ozark, gateway backpack, grip, prodiscus.

Thanks Dut & Mashnut.
Looked at all of them.
I'm gonna go with the Grip, even tho it cost a Grip. Maybe that's why they call it that.
Gorilla Boy came in second, but I could not tell from the web site if they still make it. It looks a little bulky compared to the Grip.

Last edited: