• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best 2 Disc Combo for High School Students

I'm in the process of installing a course and starting a club at my high school. I want to offer my club members a 2 disc starter set and I need help deciding on which discs to choose. Vibram sent me a bunch of used drivers, and I'd like to give the kids a brand new putter and one other disc. These need to be Innova as they have helped us with baskets and course design. My buddy and I have discussed possibly a Colt and a Leopard.

Comment here with your suggestions!

Already have Vibram drivers, and while they're not everybody's favorite, they will suffice for new players. If you're getting two discs for beginners, I would steer clear of another driver (even a slower Leopard) As most people have said, get a neutral mid and putter.

Also, remember that as a new player, some of the appeal may also come in the cool stamps that Innova DX uses. A Shark, Skeeter, Cobra, Roc, or even a Stingray or Kite for some thing more understable. Might be good to get a variety and let them try a few before selecting "their disc."

Best of luck starting your new program!

Cheers.

One thing of note is that high school age players are much different than elementary school players. Nearly all of today's top pros were dominant while still in high school. Eagle McMahon is an up and coming pro who is still in high school. The winner of Am Worlds this year wasnt even in high school yet!

Point being: I would caution against getting any real lightweight, flippy discs. Standard weight neutral discs would be ideal. Previously mentioned discs like Roc, Shark and Aviar would be good.

My suggestion would be to contact Gateway. They will be more than willing to hook you up with a ton of putters, probably with your school's logo stamped on them, for a great price. A selection of Wizards and Magics would be great to allow your players to choose between beaded or non beaded. They'd also probably hook you up with some Warriors and Elements for mid ranges.

Get a couple Discraft misprint packs and let them pick. Someone might stay with it just because they like the color.

You'll likely have some female members so be sure to get some of each in lighter weights, whatever discs you decide to get.

I'm thinking Aviar and Shark if you need to keep it Innova. I would definitely go with a true putter and mid combo. I believe this will help new players develop good form before they start attempting to throw higher speed drivers.

^^^This^^^

I think the folks that suggested the Aviar and Shark are spot-on. Great discs for beginners.

My suggestion would be to contact Gateway. They will be more than willing to hook you up with a ton of putters, probably with your school's logo stamped on them, for a great price. A selection of Wizards and Magics would be great to allow your players to choose between beaded or non beaded. They'd also probably hook you up with some Warriors and Elements for mid ranges.

Now, that's a hell of a good idea!

If you decide on Aviars and Sharks, the Innova factory store has factory second DX Sharks and Aviars (And Aeros, Leopards, Archangels at the moment) for $6 each.

If you order 10 or more discs you get 20% off. Free shipping on orders over $75

The F2 stamp isn't the coolest, but it's cheap.

Aviar and lighter weight Leopards is definitely the way to go.
Ultimately, you can play almost any course with just those two, if you know what you're doing (and even if you don't, lol)
The high schoolers will also want something more driver like than that Shark, and you can do 90% of what a shark does with an Aviar anyway. I love the Shark, and used to always carry one, but the Leopard is one of the most useful discs ever made, imo.

My first thought after just reading the title was Aviar P&A & Leopard. If you don't give them a driver I doubt you'll "hook" as many players to disc golf as if you just give them a mid & putter. I'd say this is especially true for kids who throw dominantly sidearm. They will more than likely prefer a driver over a mid for forehand. At least with a Leopard (or under stable equivalent) you can teach them better form/flight manipulation compared to giving them something beefy. Just my $0.02

Giving them a shark is NOT a good idea. A shark will fly overstable and give them no distance. I've given many different mids and drivers to noobies and they ALWAYS have more fun with understable drivers.

Go with the Aviar and Leopard

Buzzz, Warship, Truth, Claymore, Core, Stingray, Axis, Ibex, all would be great paired with a putter.

Mids are where it's at.

How long is the course? Drivers might not be that useful if it's a shorter course.

My daughter is 11, so a bit younger than your kids. But she's also been throwing a little for several year, so she has an expérience edge. This test Beej started à small, local, league. To my surprise, m'y daughtef wanted to plat and made it out almost every week. Nos here's m'y point.

She throws primarily:
Aviars for putting and shorter approaches.
Stingrays for shorter drives and longer approaches.
Leopards for long drives and approaches.

Her Aviars were mine and are all 175g.

Her Stingray is 150g. She has a couple newer mids, but this was her first and most successful.

She has three Leopards.
A 130g that was her first. She can hyzer flip it now for max d.
A 150g that I used to throw that's somewhat beat. It's very straight for her with some end fade.
A 150g Barry Champion that is her meathook.

Personally, I love the Aviar/Stingray combo. The Stingray has a very easy grip. And based upon my daughters results, the Leopard would be another great option in DX with a range of weights.

As the other half of dgcemberist's coaching team at the high school, I will chime in with a few thoughts. As far as look/cool factor goes, we are going to get a custom stamp with a logo on our discs and have a great contact with Innova who is willing to work with us to get our kids (mostly poor and very rural) what they need in a starter player pack for a price we can easily cover, so Innova is a must to start. Both of us club coaches/sponsors throw different brands so kids can try out lots of different plastic an make purchasing decisions for themselves. We all know that anyone who wants to play will end up with more than two discs pretty fast I am sure. Also, the course that will be located on our school campus will definitely play long and will be driver appropriate. Starting off, our kids will play from a third set of beginner tees and work their way back to intermediate and advanced tees as they progress. That is why we initially thought about a Colt and a Leopard in some medium weights as we thought they covered quite a lot of flight paths and distances in just two discs. Thanks to all on this thread for their input. Discs are such personal things and we wanted to provide something both utilitarian and attractive to our students. All of this discussion is very helpful.

Aviar (although I like the colt suggestion) and Gazelle. With some instruction a healthy kid should be able to handle a 160s gazelle. It will also wear more slowly than leopards. They also are great line shapers.

Latest posts