• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best 9 hole course you have played?

Probably shouldn't count an extinct private course, but Mike Grasse's Hidden Valley, built in conjunction with Massey's Palace (which was one of the worst) was fabulous. And that's saying something, considering it was a wooded course and I prefer more open layouts. It had great design features of great elevation utilization, a tree caged basket and two hanging baskets, one of which could be slid across a cable for varying positions from one side of the fairway, next to woods to the other, next to a creek.

Perkins Park in Green Bay is lots of fun. Played in it a few years ago on a Wednesday afternoon in August and it was packed.

Not necessarily the BEST, but if you're ever in Orlando on a long layover (3 hrs or more) check out Airport Lakes. 2 tees & 2 baskets/hole (4 possible layouts) and it's only half a mile from the airport (i.e. walking distance if you want or a REALLY short cab ride.)

Not necessarily the BEST, but if you're ever in Orlando on a long layover (3 hrs or more) check out Airport Lakes. 2 tees & 2 baskets/hole (4 possible layouts) and it's only half a mile from the airport (i.e. walking distance if you want or a REALLY short cab ride.)

When you enter the airport property on foot, sweaty and disheveled with a misshapen bag around your shoulder, does TSA keep an extra-close eye on you?

Parque De La Raza in California is my favorite and it's neighbor Hellyer are both really good for nine holers.

Chabot Park in San Leandro, CA. Just dirt tee pads, but the terrain is awesome for disc golf and holes are laid out really well. Get a local to show you all the alternate tees for maximum fun...

I've played a lot of really cool 9 hole courses in my travels, but playing a course in the setting it was held (on Sunday, May 17th, 2015, downtown Akron, Ohio. Urban Disc Golf at it's finest. Open Streets event) was the bomb! Mr. Larry Jennings and his son (Larry) took to the streets and the canals behind the streets and even a parking deck with his remote control helicopter to produce this killer video of our event. Hopefully next year will be even better and you'll all visit us and enjoy the course as much as we did------------------------ - + (Having grown up in the area, and seeing the redevelopment of this once decadent city, and being involved with the design and production of this event made us all who was involved feel so proud of how far Disc Golf has come and where we're going------------------ - +) Thank you Akron, Ohio and the Open Street festival for allowing us to show Disc Golf to all! See you next year (63 players participated in this years event.)

http://www.discgolfscene.com/post/404759/roc-the-lock-https-youtu-be-5_hhqd9qibo

Last edited:
I looked through my Courses Played list and was a little surprised to find I had played 14 9 hole courses (and 1 11 hole course) out of the 115 courses I have played. I guess some weren't that memorable. My favorite 9 hole course is Athens (Tennessee, not Georgia, Alabama or Ohio) Regional. It's just off I-75, and has dual pads and baskets. A few water shots and some wooded holes with elevation differences. A great place to stretch your legs on a trip from Florida/Georgia to Ohio/Michigan, or vice versa. Silver medal goes to Royston DGC in Royston, GA, and the bronze to Sonora Park in Kennedale, TX.

I'd like to nominate my home course for this thread (check my signature). Holes range from 180-653 feet, two tight tree holes, about 3 wide open shots, and the last hole is the longest, 653 feet downhill. I'd say its one of the best bombers Ive played.

I really enjoyed Brickyard in Menomonie, WI. It's a 9 hole but it has short and long tees, and two permanent pins (with multiple pin placements) for every hole. You can really pick and choose what layout you want to play with this one.

Fritz in Irving, TX was awesome, but is 18 now. Sonora Park in Kennedale is pretty darn good. I helped design a course that's currently a 9 hole, so I probably shouldn't nominate it.

Mason Sports Park in the Greater Cincinnati area would be mine, but I haven't played a ton of 9s outside of my area. Nicely defined fairways, some unique lines, but it's no more than a 4 with another comparable 9 added to it.

I'm looking forward to playing Linbrook around Worlds to see how Mason compares.

I agree with Mason Sports Park. What an incredible 9-er! If only it were 18 holes, it would likely be rated a 4 at least.

Hammon Grove Park in Browns Valley, CA is the only 9er I've played that gives Mason Sports Park a run for its money.

For a city park course - Bluemont in Arlington VA (Washington DC) is pretty nice with an average 3.36 rating. It has good variety of holes and terrain with 3 concrete pads and 2 baskets per hole. It's pretty compact with most pad-basket combinations being less than 300 ft. So no need for max drivers. It has some pedestian hazards and even crossing fairways but for the space they have it's pretty nice with an average 3.36 rating. if you're traveling to DC check it out.

Top three:

1. Shu Pond in Oconto, WI. Really challenging, and some very visually striking holes. Great host!
2. Oakwood Community; Delafield, WI. Super solid design, fun holes, beginner accessible but good shots for experienced golfers...just really well rounded for the property it's on.
3. Flaherty in Watervliet, MI. A shorty but a goody. Tough technical golf in woods, open-ish park, and a great "down the river" shot included. Dual concrete tees on each hole changes the layout quite nicely for variety purposes.