• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best 9 hole course you have played?

That one does have really nice teepads... some of the best around

For a great nine-holer I'd say Flaherty

You can play this one as an 18... there are two tees on each hole that pretty much make for a different hole each time... pretty good design

10 hole courses count?

This was the second course I played and I've always loved it.

It's got some fairly rough natural tees, not the greatest baskets in the world etc., but it's got a lot going for it.

-Every shot is different, no two holes feel the same at all.
-Long & short tees for every hole, most of which change things up enough they feel like unique holes, not just longer versions of the shorts, so it's essentially a 20 hole course.
-Extremely compact, solo you can play a round in 20 minutes if you jog a bit and don't lose a disc.
-Hanging basket! Good times :D
-Usually empty, nice having a course to yourself.
-Awesome practice field that's over 500' long right next to holes 9 & 10.
-Not a single wide open straight shot, everything has trees in play.
-Most holes have multiple lines you can reach the pin with. #2 you can shoot the gap or go over it, or throw a FH roller to the right and let it curl in. #3 you can flick to the left or BH hyzer to the right. #4 slight turnover or hyzer route etc.

I've never understood the low ratings and the lack of players here. Yeah, there's some rough edges, but the holes are everything I'd want out of a short pitch n putt.

Last edited:
Pinto Lake before it was expanded was the nicest 9 hole in the world. Now that Pinto is 18 I'd say Parque De La Raza is tops. Average hole length of 400', rolling fairways, and great basket locations.

Stafford Woods in NJ was initially a 9 hole course. I really liked it. They did recently put in the back 9 but IMHO the front 9 (the original course) is the better half. Of course this is about 5 minutes from my folk's home and is a great place for me to run off to when visiting.

My favorite used to be Bill Allen in the DFW area. It is now 18 with a full redesign. I would go woth Mills Lane in Gatlinburg. Nice variety and elevation with a signature downhill ace run.

I'll start with the disclaimer that I haven't played many 9-holers that were anything special.

A long time ago I played Oregon Park, near Atlanta, when it was 9 holes but 2 very different tees on each. My memory is fuzzy, but says it was fairly good.

Crooked Creek Park - Pro 9 is pretty good, but odd. It's listed as a separate course, but it's really 9 extra holes attached to a pretty good 18-hole wooded course, giving it a few longer shots. It's not really played as a separate course, but as a bonus to stretch the round to 27, or in combination with 9 holes on the original course to make a unique 18. If it were truly a stand-alone 18---and the 9 basket closer to the 1 tee---it might be a 3.0.

My favorite ever shouldn't really count. It was Stoney Hill, somewhere in 2005 or 2006, when it reached the 9-hole stage. It was a tough 9-holer, consisting, approximately, of current holes 1-5, 9, 11, 12, and 18.

Which leaves me with Sioux Central School , which I stumbled upon quite by accident somewhere in Iowa. It's a 9 holer that's mostly in something of an arboretum, around a pond, very pretty and with interesting shots. It's 11 years old with only 1 review, by, you might have guessed, Martin Dewgarita, and I wrote this post mainly because it really deserves mention. Check out the pictures.

I was pretty disappointed in the park deciding not to let us clear a higher ceiling at central park on holes 3 and 4. There is also a couple trees on hole 7 that should have went. Its a nice niner with great tees but my vote would be for 2 mile run extension and linbrook in the Pittsburgh area. The best niners I've ever played

I'll start with the disclaimer that I haven't played many 9-holers that were anything special.

A long time ago I played Oregon Park, near Atlanta, when it was 9 holes but 2 very different tees on each. My memory is fuzzy, but says it was fairly good.

Crooked Creek Park - Pro 9 is pretty good, but odd. It's listed as a separate course, but it's really 9 extra holes attached to a pretty good 18-hole wooded course, giving it a few longer shots. It's not really played as a separate course, but as a bonus to stretch the round to 27, or in combination with 9 holes on the original course to make a unique 18. If it were truly a stand-alone 18---and the 9 basket closer to the 1 tee---it might be a 3.0.

My favorite ever shouldn't really count. It was Stoney Hill, somewhere in 2005 or 2006, when it reached the 9-hole stage. It was a tough 9-holer, consisting, approximately, of current holes 1-5, 9, 11, 12, and 18.

Which leaves me with Sioux Central School , which I stumbled upon quite by accident somewhere in Iowa. It's a 9 holer that's mostly in something of an arboretum, around a pond, very pretty and with interesting shots. It's 11 years old with only 1 review, by, you might have guessed, Martin Dewgarita, and I wrote this post mainly because it really deserves mention. Check out the pictures.

In regards to Crooked Creek, how long of a trip do you think it would be from Rock Hill? I've wanted to play that course and have had a few friends tell me about there trips there.

I'd go with one of two:

Black Elk-Neihardt Park in Blair, NE. Two concrete pads on each hole (making for a fun way to play 18), some good elevation changes, a mix of different types of trees.J ust generally a good example of Midwest disc golf, and never crowded.

Smuggler's Notch Fox Run in Smuggler's Notch, VT. Great meadow golf with four tee pads on each hole (mostly grass tees, though). The scenery is definitely in my top 5 all time (up there with Brian Head in Utah, Bucksnort in CO, and Sky High DGC in CA).

In regards to Crooked Creek, how long of a trip do you think it would be from Rock Hill? I've wanted to play that course and have had a few friends tell me about there trips there.

How fast do you drive?

Probably 1:15 to 1:30.

If you haven't played it already, you might want to package Chester State Park into that.

Shu Pond still my favorite and I've played a handful of the ones on Top 9 hole course page.

I will say Parque de la Raza is pretty sweet too.

The revised version of Bracketts Bluff is a very good 9 hole course with two different teepads per hole (claiming to be a 18 hole course where you play one set of pads as front nine and second set of pads as back nine).

I second the mention of Linbrook and Two Mile Run outside of Pittsburgh. Both are awesome courses that I believe would be .5-1.0 of a disc higher rated if they were a full 18. If and when Linbrook becomes 18 holes, I think it will be regarded in the conversation with Moraine and Deer Lakes. Very underrated course.

Mason Sports Park in the Greater Cincinnati area would be mine, but I haven't played a ton of 9s outside of my area. Nicely defined fairways, some unique lines, but it's no more than a 4 with another comparable 9 added to it.

I'm looking forward to playing Linbrook around Worlds to see how Mason compares.

I just played the new Calumet Lakes Disc Golf Course in Calumet, Michigan this morning. I was very impressed with it as a 9-holer. You can tell that this course will be well manicured, and it has great potential. I know that they plan on making it 18 holes, but they won't start making the back 9 until the end of this summer at the earliest. This course had a variety of different terrains and elevations. Hole one consisted of a flat, lightly wooded hole. Holes two and three were flat with a river flowing across it. Holes four through nine are in the woods across the street from the first three, and it consisted of different elevations throughout. It was great for a beginner like me to practice at all levels, as well as my aim!

Latest posts