• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best angle for a disc to land and stick.

Toznak

Par Member
So I assume the best angle for a disc to land, hit and stick is as flat as possible.

How do you guys approach getting a disc to stick.

Disc selection.
Shot selection.

Thanks

You just want to land the disc parallel to the ground slope/angle to avoid roll aways on hills and getting the disc up on an edge. So yes "flat" but thats not always the slope where it matters most. Say aiming to the left of a left to right sloping hill and letting disc work down it vs throw into it "flat" ...

If flat and wide open a spike hyzer line. Drivers will literally stick in the ground. No skip.

Doesnt matter what disc.

Flat or verticle. Verticle works quite well too. There is a large margin for error when trying to get a disc to land as flat as possible. If you go for a verticle spike landing its more forgiving, because you will be using an OS disc and let the disc do the what it naturally wants to do, you don't really have to control the angle much.

Edit; What AIM said

Best way to get a disc to stick (assuming fast/sloped landing area) is to land it as flat as possible with as little spin as possible. Both are hard to accomplish.

A note on disc/plastic selection:

Softer discs will stick better on average. They flex around on impact, which soaks up energy that might otherwise go into a skip, roll, or bounce.

For all-weather conditions, I haven't found a softer material than Gumbputt by DGA (look for the Blunt, Blowfly, or PowerDrive). These discs won't work for all throws because they are so soft that they deform in your hand if you try to accelerate them too quickly. However, it's great to bag one for a utility "absolutely-has-to-stick" landing.

You are missing the point. That is the beauty of disc. Infinite angles. Infinite landing situations for the best lie.

But if you were to generalize, and you are a newbie- go for dead flat. If you can master that you will be way ahead of your peers.

One of my favorite shots is a spike hyzer with a soft VP. It will hit and flop within 5' of impact. It's almost Blowfly-soft.

How much does spin direction matter? Should I base my FH or BH decision on whether it's sloped R-L or L-R?

How much does spin direction matter? Should I base my FH or BH decision on whether it's sloped R-L or L-R?

So many factors at play here make this very difficult to answer with a slope involved. In addition to how well the disc will actually stick (vs skip/roll) you also have to factor your margin for error for where your disc initially touches down.

Here is an example: pin is on a hill sloping down like this / (less drastic of course). If I throw a RHFH shot the disc will be hitting perpendicular(ish) to the ground slope. Assuming its not super soft (spike it in) there is a higher chance of a rollaway...but not much of a chance of skip. Throw that same location RHBH - and skips are a bigger threat. Then there is the bigger (for me atleast) factor of margin of error on where I land. If that slope is just "right" where it is similar to how my disc will be landing and I am off on my height by just a foot or too high....I am likely sailing way past my intended LZ. If too low...way short. But....throw that same shot RHFH and off a touch on height and the landing spot is not impacted nearly as much.

I almost always have both a Blowfly 1 and Blowfly 2 in the bag. As already mentioned, floppy discs like that tend to stick better.

As far as throwing goes, when I want it to stick I generally throw the disc with little or no angle, with some upward arc, and not as much spin. Then it tends to fall flatter. When I throw a Blowfly like this I often hear a 'whump' from the landing.

So many factors at play here make this very difficult to answer with a slope involved. In addition to how well the disc will actually stick (vs skip/roll) you also have to factor your margin for error for where your disc initially touches down.

Here is an example: pin is on a hill sloping down like this / (less drastic of course). If I throw a RHFH shot the disc will be hitting perpendicular(ish) to the ground slope. Assuming its not super soft (spike it in) there is a higher chance of a rollaway...but not much of a chance of skip. Throw that same location RHBH - and skips are a bigger threat. Then there is the bigger (for me atleast) factor of margin of error on where I land. If that slope is just "right" where it is similar to how my disc will be landing and I am off on my height by just a foot or too high....I am likely sailing way past my intended LZ. If too low...way short. But....throw that same shot RHFH and off a touch on height and the landing spot is not impacted nearly as much.

We're landing flat with the slope, though.

Latest posts