• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best basket under $100

nick1990

Hey all, ive been looking at various baskets for 2 days. Ive got about 80 acres and am going to be building a course around the property. Im starting with 9 holes and looking at portable baskets that i can install in a sleeve in the ground. My question is for those that have experience with the under $100 baskets, performance and durability. Anything helps thanks!

There is a better taller Yaheetech brand basket of the same basket that was the old Innova Sport 18 chain model I would use, the chains are a bit skimpy but since the basket right now as of this post is $73.99 or $74. You could buy from Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards some chains for each basket at least enough for the outer to have good chains, having then $100 spent on baskets. Then use the other skimpy chains that came with basket as the inner set. S hooks for the inner set that get closed off to prevent the chains from coming off are a must. Link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Po...N6355DRCHPY&psc=1&refRID=HF5VGBYSEN6355DRCHPY

I think the smart thing to do at this point is not waste the money on a basket at all, and just go with tone poles/objects/trees until you have the funds to purchase "proper" baskets. Anything you get under 100 dollars won't last long enough in the elements to be worth the cost in my opinion.

You can find instructions for cheap tone poles somewhere on here or on YouTube. Good luck!

I agree with the above post, Gotta Go Gotta Throw Sells the Lighting DB-5 baskets for $200. They are the best potion as they are fully galvanized. There are also some used of those baskets for $180 or so. That is the least one could get away with for a permanent course. I think these are still made as Gotta Go Gotta Throw is still getting the original from the factory that makes these baskets. I think just the non permanent baskets are no longer sold, those got stopped as the Lighting DB-5 is only good enough as a B tier level max now with the new rules.

https://gottagogottathrow.com/colle...ucts/lightning-db-5-18-chain-disc-golf-basket

I did not read your post all the way in they would be full on permanent baskets.

Last edited:
I have a mvp black hole precision basket on the way. 108$ shipped from amazon.

I dont know how durable it will be but its going to be inside most of its life so it should work well.

How do you plan on installing them in a sleeve? Extending the pole somehow?

I thought maybe a pole was going to stick out if the spot is in the ground and a basket pole would fit on top of the pole sleeve with a hole in the pole of the basket with the pole sleeve hole to line up so some longer style master lock set that all uses the same key is installed on all the baskets to prevent theft. That was the thought in my head.

Agree with those avoiding baskets under $100.00. Sell a few discs or something and get up in that $120-$130 range and you can get some really nice quality baskets that feel like actual baskets. MVP Black Holes or Discraft Chainstar Lite are head and shoulders above the under $100 stuff.

I totally agree with the raising your price and getting alot more for your money. The DB-5 that Casey 1988 mentions would be an excellent choice. Now, if a basket is going to reside indoors, that's another story.

I totally agree with the raising your price and getting alot more for your money. The DB-5 that Casey 1988 mentions would be an excellent choice. Now, if a basket is going to reside indoors, that's another story.

I only mention the Basket as my local in town course has Lighting DB-5 with the base in a big cement block and they held up to the Missouri river flood of 2011 but the tops are from some old Mach III tops, baskets did not survive but the tops and chains were protected so they gave the in tow course after the State Park did not want them to the city to use for those DB-5 baskets. Not sure what happened to the Lightning DB-5 tops that the local club had added extra inner set of chain to the baskets? I think the chains were used by the city for other things? The rest was given to a scrap place or dumped at the dump.

As was previously mentioned, I would go the tone-pole route at first and save cash until proper perm. baskets can be bought.

I'd throw my vote behind the Mach2 for a budget level, fully hot-dip galvanized basket. About $250/each. I have 3 on my property and other than the faded center pole sticker, they still look like the day they were put together 5 years ago.

As was previously mentioned, I would go the tone-pole route at first and save cash until proper perm. baskets can be bought.

I'd throw my vote behind the Mach2 for a budget level, fully hot-dip galvanized basket. About $250/each. I have 3 on my property and other than the faded center pole sticker, they still look like the day they were put together 5 years ago.

People might not like that the baskets are the old minimum requirement by the PDGA but other then that they are a good bargain for the price.

At that same price is the modern Discatcher Sport 24 chain by Innova. a tad weak in the way it is mostly powder coated bare metal but still has the higher cage to the basket.

Latest posts