• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best course in Ohio?

What is the best course in Ohio

• Deis Hill Park

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Forked Run State Park

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Handyman Ace Hardware DGC

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Pike Lake State Park

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Mt. Airy Forest

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Other(Post which course you like best)

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am heading over to Alum in about 30 minutes. I hope the reports are overstated..... That course kicks my butt every time, but I really like it.

I'll report back later....

So I went and played Alum yesterday.

While there was significant work done, and a few big piles of cut trees, it does not really impact the course.

Hole 12 has the most impact. It was pretty long and wooded before. It's still pretty wooded, but at least you can see the basket now. It's probably going to be an improvement.

Hole 16 is a short ace run (maybe the only one on the course). It's a little more open than it was before, but there are still plenty of trees to play defense.

It's clear that they are not done working, so the end result may be more dramatic than it is now. I have no idea what the goal is for cutting the trees. My hope (with no evidence at all) is that they are making room for more holes. They could get the 9 baskets and tee pads from the incomplete course at the campgrounds and make Alum a great 27 hole course! :thmbup:

thanks for the input. I'll probably check out the Cincy area courses. If I have time I will visit Akron/Canton. Thanks!:thmbup:

Apparently the Alum Creek course was just decimated by the State Forestry division. Haven't seen the carnage myself but was told it's devastating ;^(
This could be an improvement. Alum was overgrown in many areas and could benefit from being cut back, especially on the back 9. With a little work it could end up being my favorite area course.

About 7 years ago I think, there was a meeting in Columbus, that the State Park Department put together so that they could discuss the use of state lands. There were people from just about every park, and also from several groups. There were a few horse people, there was a guy that at the top of the mountain biking food chain, there were some hiking people, and I was there for disc golf. I assured them that disc golf was growing and that just about every state park would soon have a disc golfer or two wanting to design a course there. I knew of several at the time. I just happened to start the ball rolling with Forked Run, but I wasn't the only one working the state park angle at the time. And just look at all the state park courses we have now.

But, reading some of these posts, it reminds me of what I've been thinking about as far as our state park courses go... We disc golfers ought to get a group together that can represent the five regions (central plus four corners) of the state. Those five people should come together for any big ODNR meetings, and maybe divide and conquer to cover any smaller regional ODNR meetings. By just regularly showing up and sitting in on meetings and attending State of Ohio events, we would build valuable relationships with ODNR, other state agencies, and other user groups. Then we would be in a position to ask that we be consulted before anyone cuts a tree limb, or makes a decision to stop mowing an area, and so on. The state is not going to ask us to come together, we just need to do it. That would go a very long way in growing our sport, gaining so-called legitimacy, course funding, maintenance, tournament sponsorships, and so on.

That's my two cents worth for the night. Thank you to all the promoters and volunteers. Keep it up.

Played Alum yesterday and the back 9 has been heavily logged. There are enough logs piled up to build a couple of cabins. It doesn't interfere with the course and doesn't really seem to affect it that much, other than large piles of logs in the woods. It looks like they were doing it in an attempt to help manage the forest. A lot of the stumps are near small trees, so it looks like they were thinning it out a bit in the hopes that the younger trees will be able to grow larger and healthier than they would with all the crowding and competition for light and water.

The front 9 has minimal impact, mostly near hole 1.

No clue if they plan to remove the log piles, but if they do the course will more than likely benefit from this happening.

Good to know. I'm still trying to find time to get out and play Alum, but between working an hour later than I used to and having less daylight I'm now down to weekends only for anything besides Blendon and Hoover. :thmbdown:

Great ace Mike on the front of your page. Great you were able to do it on vacation with your family in Carolina. Love playing in Carolina when we go down on vacation and even better you come home with an ace.

Good Mike C. story. I playing at a small course up in our area named Schneider park. The 7th hole is tucked back down a chute of trees and I walk back there to tee off. Sure enough mike is sitting on a stump back there. I go back and throw my typical **** shot on this hole (never play it well). Said hey to him n start walking down the tree line. Walking with my daughter it hits me n I tell my daughter holy **** that's Mike C. She says you mean the guy you always see in those videos and I said yup. She says wow he's really good. I said yup. Thanks for all the help watching all your vids.

On topic I'm really lucky that I live in Stark county and I'm really partial to the area. I love in stark county that there are quite a few great courses really close together. Arb/Spiker is about 5 minutes away and I can tell how much better I've gotten just there. Shot a 5 over there a couple weeks ago and I swear the first time I played there (last year) I had to have shot at least 50 over. Oak ledges in Massilon is my fav. Great combination (accuracy and some length)for a newbie to learn on. Deis Hill is a beast but a really interesting layout. Wildwood is just a 9 hole but a really neat layout again to learn on. Portage lakes is close as well. Sometimes you forget how lucky you are to live within range of good quality courses.

Also played Osage Grove this year when I was down kings island . Played Idlewild but damn Osage is an awesome course. Thanks to the members here who turned me on to it.

Not the most challenging day, but the best Ohio road trip I've taken is when I played Pike Lake, Paint Creek, and Rocky Fork State Parks in that order. Paint Creek is so awesome! It definitely provides the challenge of the 3. The other 2 are good, Pike Lake more so than Rocky Fork.

Latest posts