• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Course in Texas

I clicked on the article out of curiosity.
such a weird mix of courses to highlight for Austin. a novice cupcake course and a pro level beat down course somehow made the same list for this clueless frolfing writer. I would agree with Roy G and also Flat Creek, even though i haven't played that one. I suppose Zilker could be argued as the article doesnt state "best course", but rather "best spot." Zilker is a pretty awesome park in the heart of downtown. Wells Branch DGC is included in the list? I assure everyone that if I wrote this, I wouldn't include this course. none of my friends in Austin talk about the live oak brewery course. i doubt its anything special.

pizzagod is probably best qualified to write a Texas list.
i'd be curious to know what's in his top ten for Texas.

I played Live Oak this summer; it's much better as a hangout spot than a disc golf destination. The disc golf is solid, but there are definitely WAY better options in Austin. Some buddies rave about Austin Bible Ridge Church, but I have not played it.

On the subject of this 11 year old thread. (its funny to read back of all the courses mentioned that are no longer in existence)

It's hard to say what is the best course in Texas. It all depends on what kind of course you are looking for.

For a challenge, The Hideaway may be one of the most challenging courses in the ground and a GREAT place to play a round too.

Best course that is free to play - Circle C in Austin. This one still ranks up there as one of my favorites in Texas.

Fun to play, I have to say Shawshank. Decent course that has so much love sweat and tears put into it.

Best Destination area, I am going to go with Tyler. Not only do you have several great courses, but you have a decent town with everything you need.

I mentioned several of the best courses in my writings in the above link. Texas is SO big and has SO many courses, it's hard to rank them. My recommendation is to pick an area and I can tell you the best or my personal favorites in that area. Or at least can tell you what each course is like.

600th Texas Course

Not sure where to post this, but I just noticed I played the 600th course listed on this sight in just Texas.

Not sure where to post this, but I just noticed I played the 600th course listed on this sight in just Texas.

That's something man. I clearly remember Texas being at about 224 while California was at about 182 and in the title it said over 2000 courses on the home page. And tomjulio and the prerube and optidiscic and solomen trenton and midnight biker were on here daily. Dude I am getting depressingly nastalgic. I know I spelled it wrong. Damn you Pizza God, now I must have some popcorn.:popcorn::popcorn:

I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts on best Houston area course is.

I only played a few when I started playing in Texas years ago but I feel like Jack Brooks wooded course is probably in the top 3.

I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts on best Houston area course is.

I only played a few when I started playing in Texas years ago but I feel like Jack Brooks wooded course is probably in the top 3.

Houston has some decent courses. Hard to pic one as the best.

Personally I would say just north of Houston and say Shawshank would be my #1 for that part of Texas.

Other courses worth playing in the greater Houston area

McDade Park - Conroe
Northside Christian Church - Spring
Oak Meadow Park - Cypress
Jack Brooks (x2) - Hitchcock
Cornerstone Church - Lake Jackson
Texas Army Trail - Cypress
Little Egypt - Conroe
River Grove - Kingwood
Milby Park - Houston

Impressive, but what I saw, the current listing for Texas is 569. You've probably got several courses that no longer exist!

Out of curiosity, I searched 4 star courses n TX and something caught my eye. Borger Texas. I lived there, for a couple of torturous years, '98-00, before the course was built.

Your review was surprising and makes me want to bag it. Looks like Palo Duro would be a great choice to bag in the area as well.

At some point I may make a west Tx loop up 287, hit Borger, PD, then Lubbock. 287, i27, south to Abilene and I 20 home.

That's an approximate triangle. If I'm on a bagger trip, I could hit some alternate routes.

Anything I should be thinking about if that's my basic route? Think Fort Worth, Amarillo, Lubbock, Abilene, Fort Worth.

Latest posts