• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses In the South? (Cross Country Road Trip)

Jesterian

Par Member
Ok guys, I've got an internship in Colorado this Spring on an organic farm (super psyched for this). I'm living in Florida and I need to have my car there so part of the whole experience is going to be a 2200 mile road trip from here to there in mid-March/early April.

Since it's winter and I want to avoid icy and snowy roads as much as possible, I'll be hugging the southern coast of the US and then going straight up to CO. Here's what my route is going to look like (somewhat): http://mapq.st/A8OtA0

Now, which are the must see, do not pass go courses along this route? I don't mind slight detours as long as I'm not going too far out of the way. Any level of difficulty is nice but I do appreciate a challenge. I am looking for tight fairways, shaped shots, requirement to have multiple shots in the bag, or holes long enough or with enough water to provide a challenge for an advanced player.

Let's see some Southern Hospitality!

Last edited:
well flyboy is ranked overall #1 and its in the south and it has a B&B

EDIT: sorry looked at your map after and it would be very out of the way

Austin has several great courses. After that you will not see another great course until you get to Colorado. (sorry John Rock, I've not played Amarillo)

I am considering detouring to Flyboy just to play it. It is on my bucket list for courses for sure. Also I've heard good things about the Austin area. I would like to find a few more gems spread out along the way however.

Wow, there are more courses in Texas than I could possibly sort through. Somebody help me distill the best ones!!

I recommend Blue Angel Park in Pensacola, FL. Three 18 hole courses on the facility, The Oaks, The Palmettos and the most recent addition, The Pines.

Hit me up before you get on the road, I'd be more than happy to show you the courses.

You can still play Flyboy, we're having a meetup @ Flyboy on March 30th - April 1st if you're interested.

I don't think going a bit north will have any real adverse affect on your trip. If you haven't noticed you're only going to hit winter weather when you get to the colorado area. there is no winter weather in the south.

I'd advise a route through Georgia hitting the good courses there and then through Arkansas on I-40 where you can hit some seriously badass courses.

Going that route I'd stop in Memphis, Bud Hill is a pretty good course and if you've never seen downtown Memphis it's awesome, a bit of a tourist trap but worth it, watch out for scamming homeless people and little kids who do flips for money.

In Arkansas you'll go through Little Rock, another cool city to check out if you have a bit of time. Burns Park is there and it's an alright course, it was confusing for me not knowing the layout. Once you leave Little Rock you'll go right past Old Post and Russellville, I highly suggest stopping at those two.

If you don't mind going off of 40 for about an hour you can play Horseshoe Canyon Ranch which is a private course on a dude ranch. It'll be a really long walk, there's no real tpads, you'll be dodging cow patties, but it's all up in the Ozark Mtns and an amazing course with spectacular scenery. Just check out the course photos.

Then there's Ben Geren Park in Fort Smith, it's an alright course, I wouldn't say it's a must stop.

Depending on your schedule I would go up the coast and hit the IDGC, then go through to Flyboy before going up to Memphis. Now that would be a badass way to start off a road trip.

Is selah ranch on your way? could go see if that one is really a 5 star

When you get to Lamar, CO, jog over to Pueblo and play Pueblo City Park.

This. I'd also recommend hitting Jellystone Park in Larkspur if its not covered in snow.

Other than that I like the route. With this crazy winterless winter there's not much snow on the I-20 or I-40 routes either, and there's some good courses to hit along those routes, but he'd miss Austin that way.

Yeah I'm trying to decide if Flyboy and the more northern courses are worth risking possibly snow and missing all the Texas courses

Wow, there are more courses in Texas than I could possibly sort through. Somebody help me distill the best ones!!

In the part of Texas you are going through (south Austin), I'd highly recommend the Circle C Metro course at Slaughter Creek -- very good course, but a lot of big rocks for some reason so use durable plastic, John Houck's ranch, Circle R is just south about 30-45 minutes -- I've never played it, but those who have say it's great & like Flyboy you have to make an appointment. The Twin Parks Country Club is also out that way (where they played the Player's Cup) -- I'll let you make your own determination there, but also a private club w/2 courses so call ahead; they have the championship layout which combines both.

Houck-designed Met Center is also along Hwy 71 if you don't want to stray too far from your route. It's very challenging. Most of the newer Houck designs have a few par 4/5's.

In the Houston area, lots of "decent courses". The two I think are best, Spring Valley & Jack Brooks are way north and way south of downtown, respectively.

http://mapq.st/wgZWir

This route takes me to the IDGC, then to Flyboy, then across to CO. I'm considering it but I think the weather in Texas is going to be nicer in late March/early April.

If you do detour north to Atlanta for Flyboy (which is more amazing than words can describe, check out our round on youtube under Our Flyboy Highlights pts 1-3), take I-20 and play Bowers in Tuscaloosa, Ross Barnett Reservoir (The Rez) in Jackson and Harry Myers near Dallas. All fun courses that offer challenges as well.

I agree with new013 come to arkansas all the courses he listed are great... old post park and Russellville are my hometown courses and i play them almost everyday and they are fun to play