• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Ambassador?

PMcB. He's the best and a super cool guy.

Also I really like Barry Shultz. He seems on point.

Cool people all around.

First question: Who do you think is the best ambassador for disc golf? (Meaning: Who do you feel would be best suited to motivate people to give the sport a try?)

Second question: Why?

That wouldn't be my definition of ambassador.

But if it were, my answer would be a pop culture celebrity. Fill in the name (I'm a hermit and have no idea). A celebrity who not only plays, but wants to promote disc golf. Reasonably, because he or she would be heard by vastly more people than any of our top pros. Less reasonably, because many of those people put so much faith in whatever celebrities say and do.

With a broader definition of "ambassador", the greatest I've ever seen was a local course pro and TD who, unless you were around here for the last 20 years, you've never heard of.

I'm sure there are dozens of hims and hers around the country.

The best Disc Golf Ambassadors are any disc golfer that can introduce the sport to the people that have never heard of it, and can speak the truth to the people that have only heard of the stereotypes.

Does anyone know of youth or community oriented leagues that are going on? If you want to talk about growing the sport and encouraging more people to play long term, something like this might be the best way. Similar to Little League, you could have a coach or coaches donate their time to teach kids the fundamentals of putting, driving, upshots, etc and then once a weekend hold a tournament where the overall standings carry forward. You could orient the results to overall progression to keep encouraging kids that might not pick things up as quick as others. For adults you could have it as part of a sports and social club or something like that. There are casual softball, kickball, volleyball, etc leagues all over that could easily offer disc golf if a local course is available. You could do it as team play using a point based system or handicaps across divisions and spread the teams across multiple cards to encourage social interaction and competition. I've been a part of clubs where people will spend $100-$200 a summer to play two "sessions" of softball (8 games + playoffs each session) and then they go out and spend hundreds on a bat, cleats and gloves. I'm just not sure if something like that already exists or not.

pick a Reading, any Reading. thats what EDGE is. Get the kids into it early.

It is really going to come down to media and social. Smashboxx, SpinTV, McFly, CCDG, are producing great material. spreading the word person to person and having cool stuff to show them is the only way to spread the addiction.

As for the pros they just need to keep up their game. When someone watches the final 9 of a NT with McBeth and Ricky draining HUGE putts and Simon BOOMING crazy lines. You really have to throw a couple of rounds to appreciate what those guys do.

Doss's Ace was great to see on espn and as long as they can keep cool shots like that in front of an audience it will grow.

Getting Paul McBeth on a show like Ridiculousness would be huge. That show has a tremendous fan-base, it's on MTV all the time, and it's tailor made for disc golf. Open with him just crushing drives and making putts. He has the right personality and temperament to handle that type of exposure too. And Dyrdek would totally get the outdoor-extreme sport quality of disc golf.

Secondly, getting McBeth in a Dick's Sports TV commercial would also be tremendous. I see their spots all the time promoting all sorts of sports (team and individual) and disc golf fits into their marketing strategy IMO.

Lastly, Paul needs to get a real sports agent. That's the leap that he, Ricky, Jerm, and Will need to take. They're the young guns at the top of the sport right now and each of them is well-spoken and personable in their interviews. Dave, Nate, and Avery were the last generation and it doesn't make as much sense to promote them at this point in their careers.

Rory McIlroy and McBeth are both 25 years old and are arguably the best in the world at "golf." There has to be some marketing synergy there.

Top pros as ambassadors typically have their own interests in mind. Not saying that they can't be ambassadors (Dana Vichich is a great example of a guy who is about outside stuff before himself).

The best ambassadors are guys that likely aren't any good at the sport.

Nate Sexton...

Really nice guy, very approachable
Speaks well

No attitude
He's got game and can teach!

Dave, Nate, and Avery were the last generation and it doesn't make as much sense to promote them at this point in their careers.

You know Nate is under or right at thirty, right? It just seems that he is older because he has been on the scene for so long. The others I agree with.

I stand corrected ... actually Nate might be the best candidate of all ... still relatively young, undeniably skilled, 3x champion, married with a wife who's a champion herself. He and Val are the next Jay and Des.

I think you have to go with Cale and Holly. They are young, attractive, succesful, excellent DG'ers and have celelbrity status as well as celebrity connections.

Kinda surprised Feldburg hasn't been mentioned. I know that he rubs a lot of people the wrong way but his impact on the sport is undeniable, and he still work tirelessly to promote the game. I can't think of anyone that has spent more time teaching the game to those lesser skilled.

Yep. some of the best instructional videos/info out there feature Dave.

Seems like disc golfers are confused with what an ambassador is though as being a top popular pro doesn't really have much to do with it at all.

Unless and until disc golf gets consistent national media coverage no top touring pro is the best choice.

I think Holley is arguably the closest person to our ambassador right now.

But until then the closest thing to an ambassador we have are those crazy locals who devote their time, life really, to show disc golf in its best light. These tireless, enthusiastic, knowledgeable individuals who own courses, dedicated pro shops, run leagues, tournaments, fundraisers, etc. are our standard bearers. Hell our very own Prerube who teaches school children the fundamentals and joy of disc golf is a better ambassador than any top touring pro.

Yep. some of the best instructional videos/info out there feature Dave.

Seems like disc golfers are confused with what an ambassador is though as being a top popular pro doesn't really have much to do with it at all.

Some top popular pros are perfect ambassadors though because of everything they do while not competing.

I'd go with Jay and Des Reading. They're out there touring in their motorhome, stopping at schools everywhere they go.

Latest posts