• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Ambassador?

As I was thinking about the question a little more, Jay and Des came to mind. They made a huge impression on everyone around here who attended their clinic.

John Houck has probably done more different things over 35 years that an ambassador would do. He's gotten more courses in the ground than anyone and in more different places. He started and ran the Worlds Biggest event for over 20 years which has helped get many into the game. He produced Millennium discs for several years, and was the head PDGA Commissioner promoting the game before the Internet. He was World Champion Freestyler (entertainer) and was one of the first promoters to run a series of DG events each year. All this while never being much of a DG competitor and still has never gotten a rating.

With a broader definition of "ambassador", the greatest I've ever seen was a local course pro and TD who, unless you were around here for the last 20 years, you've never heard of.

I'm sure there are dozens of hims and hers around the country.
Great insight, David...VERY true. In this area, I'd nominate Tom Wagner.

Top pros as ambassadors typically have their own interests in mind. Not saying that they can't be ambassadors (Dana Vichich is a great example of a guy who is about outside stuff before himself).

The best ambassadors are guys that likely aren't any good at the sport.
Well, that would be ME!

John Houck has probably done more different things over 35 years that an ambassador would do. He's gotten more courses in the ground than anyone and in more different places. He started and ran the Worlds Biggest event for over 20 years which has helped get many into the game. He produced Millennium discs for several years, and was the head PDGA Commissioner promoting the game before the Internet. He was World Champion Freestyler (entertainer) and was one of the first promoters to run a series of DG events each year. All this while never being much of a DG competitor and still has never gotten a rating.

That is incredible!

Jonathan Baldwin is the best Ambassador around the Santa Cruz area to me. Great Masters player, friendly, personable guy, and by all accounts a pleasure to play with. The one tutorial video I found out there from him inspired my putting game.

Other really influential players for me: Valerie and Avery Jenkins, Nate Doss, Philo and Steve Rico.

Best instructor might be Merle Witvoet, who has been teaching kids at Cal State Monterey Bay U the basics with great success for years. Also had some records at Delaveaga.

Dave Feldberg deserves a lot of credit too, he really puts a lot of effort into giving clinics, making videos and teaching the game. Has his issues, but who doesn't?

..nice info!

thanks

NC's Robert Leonard aka _MTL_, of course.

Tom Monroe has an even longer career promoting than Houck. Here's his wiki page for much of his background http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Monroe Steady Ed had Tom running around the country getting courses installed once the basket was invented. Hard to know if he got more courses installed than even Houck because several have not survived. He has been one of the few to create and teach a Frisbee curriculum at colleges for many years and can still be found teaching new players at George Ward park in Birmingham when he's not putting in more courses.

Yep. some of the best instructional videos/info out there feature Dave.

Seems like disc golfers are confused with what an ambassador is though as being a top popular pro doesn't really have much to do with it at all.

Some semi intelligent dude preaching to people that already play about how it's all mathematics and how they wouldn't understand because they aren't smart doesn't grow the sport. He does give some good info, but come on he should be a PE teacher, not the ambassador to disc golf. The best "ambassador" is paul mcbeth. He by far brings in the most money into the sport. The more money, the higher the payouts. The higher the payouts, the more people can do it for a living. The more people can do it for a living, the more popular it will become. It's definitely a collective effort, but mcbeth is top dog and the face of it. It comes down to moneys. Ppl don't grow up training to be a disc golfer as much because there isn't the same opportunities as basketball, baseball, and football. McBeth makes the biggest impact no question.

I'd like to second Chuck's mention of Houck. Course designers MUST be ambassadors because of what they do: mostly they get municipal and regional public employees on board with the entire concept of disc golf. The hard work is in that process...getting officials to say 'Yes' to disc golf. Design is the easy/fun part. So to all the Houck's, Chuck Kennedy's, Steve West's, Stan McDaniel's, Leonard Muise's, and of course Steady Ed's out there, good on ya. You have done more for the sport than most realize...you've given people a place to actually play the sport. And that, my friends, is what grows the sport more than any pro player talking about what's in his or her bag.

That said, there are some amazing pros out there for whom I have the deepest respect doing their part:
Jon Baldwin
Avery Jenkins
Nate and Valarie Doss
Patrick Brown (does anyone realize how much work he's done at GGP?)

Some semi intelligent dude preaching to people that already play about how it's all mathematics and how they wouldn't understand because they aren't smart doesn't grow the sport. He does give some good info, but come on he should be a PE teacher, not the ambassador to disc golf. The best "ambassador" is paul mcbeth. He by far brings in the most money into the sport. The more money, the higher the payouts. The higher the payouts, the more people can do it for a living. The more people can do it for a living, the more popular it will become. It's definitely a collective effort, but mcbeth is top dog and the face of it. It comes down to moneys. Ppl don't grow up training to be a disc golfer as much because there isn't the same opportunities as basketball, baseball, and football. McBeth makes the biggest impact no question.

I LOL'd! He actually taught P.E. classes at U of O when he was teaching disc golf there. :clap:

Terry Miller has done a ton locally in getting courses in the ground and accessible to players. Bringing live tourney coverage is another huge step to keep some of us involved and excited about the pro level. He had a course planned for my home town and from what I've heard, the city welched on the deal and possibly left him footing a large equipment bill. Most of that is stuff I've heard, but I think it's good that he hasn't gone blabbing all the details around everywhere. I'd still like to see that course get put in and someone that's not going to badmouth municipalities when they do stupid stuff can keep those possibilities alive.

I still think it's the average players that do the most. I got drawn in by a guy who started his family into it and soon there were about 10-15 people that would be available to play a round at any given time. Over the years, I've got my family, many friends, and a bunch of kids from the youth program at our church into it. It just spreads out from there. As long as we can have courses in the ground local enough to play at any time, it'll keep growing.

Maybe the discussion should start out as what is the definition of "ambassador", in this case I think we are all talking about "an unofficial representative" of the sport. We are all "ambassadors" of the sport for sure. If there is an "official representative" of the sport my guess is that it would be the PDGA board.

Then everything else becomes a matter of opinion. Maybe the question should be what would you like to see in an "ambassador" and why. Everyone has different criteria as to what they feel is the "best ambassador".

I can think of 3 types of ambassadors:

1) Intro Ambassadors (unofficial) - I feel that there are people that introduce you to the sport are one type of ambassador seeing how they are the first impression/representation of the sport. For this type of ambassador, we are all "ambassadors" of the sport. My friends introduced me to the sport for sure then I became more interested and started watching videos and so on and so forth.

2) Role Model Ambassadors (unofficial) - Then there are current disc golfers that make good role models for people that play that are not only new but are becoming enthusiasts and that is another type of ambassador. As for this type of ambassador, everyone will have a different opinion on who their "role model ambassador" is. We can go on and on and argue what makes a good role model and so on and so forth. Me personally, I feel that Terry Miller, Eric McCabe and Paul McBeth are some of my favorites for various reasons. To me, they represent how I feel about the sport and I have similar opinions as they do in general. They treat the game with respect and treat others with respect as well.

3) Official Representatives I feel goes to the PDGA seeing how they are the only entity that sanctions tourneys all across the world.

I am sure we can go on and on categorizing what types of ambassadors there are but starting with the definition...in my opinion, is the best place to start.

Here is another one Jussi Meresmaa

The dude has done a ton for European golf and has put in a ton of professional, safe and accessible courses (I have heard his name is in the hat for over 300 courses). He is as professional as McBeth, but allots more time to the sport and his company than just his own personal game.

From an interview with Jussi "#GrowTheSport can only carry a part of the load. The time has come to #PromoteTheSport."

People who put in the leg work (setting up courses, tournaments, etc.) are obviously very important, but are generally replaceable. It is the best players and the audience that supports them that will decide the growth. When the demand increases then there will always be more people to put in the leg work. Try replacing mcbeth. I can go put in 1 million horse shoe pits and more people can play, but without the pros to captivate an audience growth will be minimal and it will remain a hobby.

Latest posts