• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best FIRST driver

Best FIRST Driver

• Leopard

Votes: 168 63.2%
  • Eagle

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Diamond

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Underworld

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teebird

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 55 20.7%

• Total voters
I think the best first driver disc is a Valkyrie. A close second is a Sidewinder.

I started with three discs I bought at Play it again sports and did not know anything and got an Eagle. BBBBig mistake. I gave up quickly. A friend got me a lighter weight Valkyrie and it made all the difference in the world. My other two first discs were a putter and a mid.

Just depends.....

Like everything else in disc golf , there are many factors that will play a part in what works for each individual. Age, physical condition, last time you tried to throw a frisbee......
That being said, a Leo is not a bad place to start and has plenty of potential for growth and shot shaping. I found I preferred the cheetah over the Leo as it was easier to keep from turning all the way over. Any of innova a speed six stuff (other brands in same speed also if your a innova hater)is good . I currently carry a gstar Leo and finding it very reliable for around 300 ft. My s shot disc around that distance and don't have throw it max power to get the flights I want. It's still fresh and can count it to flex out to hyzer Finnish every time.

If your an absolute newb and can't get anything straight for any amount of time ..... I have two favorites that I fell in love with early in my dg adventures. First throw I ever got a full flight with, and got me hooked the game, was with a stingray. Flipped up from my beginner hyzer release and got on a glide ,slowly tracking to the right , and never hyzered out of its flight. Yes, a stingray is mid range, but was considered a distance driver when it was created. Tough to keep it from turning over on full pulls now, but good for up to 300 IMO. First ace with a ray and still bag my original ray for easy turn over midrange shots around 250 ish.

Last but not least....gotta give a little flyer maximizer a try. The ultimate beginner fairway for people throwing under 300. Yes it under stable , but will add distance for anyone throwing under 300. I still bag a maximizer and have about 12 back ups. I have out drove many players ,throwing drivers that are too fast for them, with this disc and always get comments on the flight of this disc. Can get a little touchy much past 300, but hyzer flips into a laser for below average arms and glides for days. Adds fun factor for beginners.

Last edited:
I went with other. My vote would be for the Polaris LS. Pretty much a Cheetah in better plastic. Great flight and easy to control.

Leo is a solid choice, but pretty much every company has a somewhat similar disc that will work just as well. If its moderately understable and doesn't have a rim width larger than 1.7cm (maybe up to 1.9cm for big handed guys), you'll be good to go.

I like a Cheetah very much over a Leopard. Just a little more forgiving yet still easy to throw. Polaris LS in Millennium plastic if you want it to last a little longer (it is half Cheetah anyways).

I wouldn't recommend an Eagle/Teebird/Gazelle until that Cheetah was going over 225 at least.

And sorry but recommendations for MVP are blah. Start newbs on basic and move up from there, let them see how stuff is supposed to break in before they start throwing things that don't season fast.

I'd say Leopard for sure (now). When I started, my first driver was an XL, which wasn't bad. I got a Valkyrie early, before I knew its wonders; now that it's beaten in (DX 169g), it's an awesome understable driver and the Leopard is my control driver. (Obviously, I'm not driving 400 feet.)

Leo, lightweight Teebird, Patirot, Diamond, View and XL are all great first drivers.

I wish I had started out with something like one of those.

My first disc was a driver given to me by a friend and it was a max weight champ Groove. He also have me a DX Roc and Aviar.

I still use Rocs a fair bit, moved on to beaded putters and put the Groove on a shelf where it stays to this day.

I feel greatfull that I got into disc golf and that it was my gateway disc, but I would have learned a BH much faster if id gotten a TB six months sooner.

Diamonds are perfect for most people if they aren't naturally athletic. I would also recommend the XL and Heat personally for heavier discs.

The Leopard is great, one of my favorites. If you're a hipster then you could give the discmania FD a shot