• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Headwind Driver?

depending on the shot, might throw max, boss, destroyer, firebird, teebird...for a really massive headwind i throw a max with a little hyzer and a lot of snap...

Thanks for all the input, I went with a red Champ Firedbird from DGC. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
What weight did you get? I'm still finding my max weight Firebird to be too much disc for me. I throw my 174 Predator and my 175 Xcal much better.

Moderate headwinds I typically use a Star Teebird, for heavy headwinds I use a Star Firebird or ESP Predator. I have a hard time throwing anything faster BH.
It sounds like it's too late, but this is good advice, IMO. You won't benefit from anything faster at 300', you'll only end up with a disc that will give you a weaker rip.

I think it's a good idea to have two types of headwind discs. The Firebird the OP bought will be good for heavy headwinds, hyzers into headwinds and lots of hyzer duties. You might get a little more D out of something a bit less overstable like a Teebird or Eagle, though.

I think a Beast is one of the worst discs to throw in a head wind
This.

Anything that's overstable will work in a headwind.
This.

yah the predator/firebird, they're actually slower discs than your beast, they're just more overstable, both would work well
This. And slower is a good thing. Read below if you care to find out why.

anything overstable yeah. I throw Flicks. To the "firebird flys further in a headwind than no wind" guy, there are some physics behind that one. I took "Intro to Physics" TWICE at a junior college so Im not the guy to explain it but...
I'm pretty sure the Firebird is just so damn overstable it takes a headwind just to straighten the damn thing out for a second so it can get some distance instead of just crashing into the ground.
When you throw into a headwind, the disc thinks you threw it faster than you really did because it's cutting into so much more air.

Mostly true. zud00 is spot on. A headwind is exactly like throwing faster. That is why understable discs suck hard in the wind. Their turn and fade are much more exaggerated. Since the disc is going "faster" than a normal drive, and because it has no turn, it will go straight. Since fade occurs as the disc slows down, it will not begin to fade until later than usual. If it is slower than your typical driver, this is even more pronounced. This is also why a slower, more overstable disc (in comparison to your normal driver) is better.

Anybody saying the Boss is the best headwind disc, its because it is too much for you to throw. It starts fading early and predictably. If you had a fast enough arm, it would be like throwing a Wraith in the wind (if you think the wraith is good in the wind, it is because it is too fast for you to throw too). The best reason you have to throw a Boss in a headwind is because it would fly closer to its intended speed/path. To somebody who can't throw it fast enough I suppose this would be a good thing.

To the OP, max weight discs are best in a headwind, but they're also harder to throw.

Champ Xcal, CFR Max, then brand new star boss

i always carry a firebird for strong headwinds. i nice max weight champ teebird will also work unless the wind is really blowing.

I would say monster. I would have said boss, but I lost my boss in this situation. Threw it super hard into a strong headwind and it flipped and went about a mile left into the woods (RHFH).

ill stick to my trusty wraith.
Keep saying how trusty it is until it flips and flys about 400 feet the wrong direction and gets lost in the bushes. Today I threw both a Predator and a Firebird on my courses big headwind hole. I actually managed to flip the Pred a little bit and it ended up straight ahead about 275'. Then my Firebird went about the same distance but I released it with some hyzer and it landed about 40 feet left of the Pred.

Latest posts