• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Must Play course in Des Moines area?

gratefulart

Hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong place. I don't post much.

I'm looking for input on a course or 2 in the Des Moines area that is a must play. I'll be coming through in early July for a weeding.

Ive looked at the map and there seems to be several options. Any input from locals or ppl familiar with the courses would be appreciated. I live in CO at 9k feet, so any golf down that way will be different for me than usual. I like to stretch it out. Course with high difficulty that you can throw bombers on preferred.

Thanks guys!

Art

Pickard and Ewing are two with a good variety of holes to air it out without being too wide open.

Really enjoyed Walnut Ridge, Ewing Park and Grandview Park during my visit to Iowa. Pickard was on the list but ran out of time and a little bummed I didn't get that one it.

If you have to only pick 2, play Ewing and Walnut. If you have time for more, play Grandview, Pickard, and the new Becky Zallek Memorial course. This a fantastic area for disc golf. ENJOY!

Des Moines has some excellent disc golf. All of the courses named so far are great choices. Maybe choose the courses close to your accommodations. Pickard is pretty far south, while Big Creek is quite a drive to the north.

I would vote for Walnut Ridge and Big Creek State Park. These are giant parks with lakes, forests and meadows. These are North of the city.

Ewing and Grandview are a nice combo if you need to stay in town. These are traditional city parks with big trees and grassy fairways.

From most.. walnut and big creek. Just walnut if only time for one north course.
In Des Moines, Grandview plays fast easy to get to and low stress. generally there is a jump in point at 10 or 12 if the front looking bogged down. Iron Lion disc golf shop is nearby. .... Becky Zallek is quite new and needs some reviews, Veterans administration is quite funky
South Des Moines, Ewing and Pickard are bombers. Jay's CD and Hobby carries discs near Ewing

If you're looking for quiet courses that are currently under played yet maintained well, Pickard in Indianola and Lewis club in Colfax. (Lewis Club is a punisher)

Without knowing exactly what you like, the two "can't miss" would be Walnut Ridge and Ewing.....but they're pretty far apart on the earth so it's tough to get them both.

The next best aren't "can't miss", but they are Big Creek (near Walnut Ridge) and Pickard (near Ewing (for some values of "near")). Each has a certain long brutality but still great courses.

Des Moines area local here... If I had to pick one course to play in the area it would be Pickard in Indianola. It's 30 minutes south of Des Moines. I would plan for a 2.5 - 3 hour round unless you're moving pretty quickly. The course is rarely busy and has a fairly secluded feel once you get past the first few hole.

If don't have time for Pickard, I would go with Walnut Ridge or Ewing. Both courses are usually very well maintained. Ewing has a room to air out shots on the back nine, if that's what you're looking for, but I prefer Walnut for more of an every day course. Walnut also has the advantage of being within 15 minutes of the Big Creek course.

... Course with high difficulty that you can throw bombers on preferred.

Thanks guys!

Art
Pickard, Walnut and Ewing all fit the bill. You might reach out to the "515 Disc Golf" group on facebook for current course conditions or a guide (Ewing and Walnut are typically well very maintained), Ewing can be a bit tricky to navigate as they installed some new pads the last couple of years, and the signs don't always match the current basket layout.

If time is an issue I would recommend Walnut and Big Creek or Ewing and Grandview as they are relatively close to one another (~15 minute drive).

Grandview and Ewing can both get quite busy during peak hours.

If you want to play the toughest course in the area that will be Pickard.

I agree with all suggestions here.

I've done the reverse trip from IA to CO a few times and I will add some worthwhile stops along the way, not far from I-80, if you want a break from driving:
Atlantic IA -- Sunnyside
Council Bluffs IA -- Treasure Cove
Kearney NE -- Cottonmill
McCook NE -- Kelley

These are all courses I'd rate 4/5 if I reviewed them on here. All have great variety with some technical holes, some elevation, some water hazards, and some opportunities to show off your big arm. They come close to the level of Pickard, Walnut, or Ewing but none of them are better. Des Moines people are spoiled with an embarrassment of disc golf riches. Enjoy!

Pretty much can't go wrong with what everyone has suggested here as I am a DSM local

If you have time, Atlantic is a must stop for sure and is the one course I would love to have here in town.

Ewing hole 10 is a bag emptier

Wow fellas! All the info and suggestions are more than appreciated.
I've been poking around on the course photos and reviews on the courses you all mention and have narrowed it down to a couple I would like to do if I have to time. Probably Walnut and the one close to it. I will be throwing in the area early fri morn July 7th. And hopefully a quicky Sunday round before I fly back to CO on Sun the 9th.
I'm in for a wedding so I'm pretty booked up as far as time, but if anyone wants to join early friday morning at Walnut, let me know. I don't have FB or check this site very often, so feel free to email me at [email protected].
Thanks again guys!
Disc ON!