• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best overstable disc for a noob

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I want an overstable disc for 2 things:

1. A disc i can't turn and burn

2. Fight winds which often gust over 20 mph around here.

I throw in the 250' range consistently. Looking at the speed of the discs I throw successfully, I was thinking Banshee? Firebird?

Wind disc? Predator. I'll always recommend a predator for the wind.

And something you can turn over as easy while being able to throw it? Banshee is probably a good one for that. A worked in predator is the bees knees. I loves it, but it's faster than a banshee.

The firebird and anything the same speed is too fast for your skill level right now. Stay away from anything faster than speed 8 until you can get a speed 7 disc 325'+. The banshee would be a great choice.

At that power level and what you want get a champ teebird and throw it with good form. No need to worry about turning and burning. Actually if you only throw 250 you shouldn't be turning over much of anything.

I agree on the Champ Teebird. It'll be plenty overstable and it's the most overstable driver I throw. Maybe an overstable mid would be another place to start?

The firebird and anything the same speed is too fast for your skill level right now. Stay away from anything faster than speed 8 until you can get a speed 7 disc 325'+. The banshee would be a great choice.

^ I agree with this. With the nub arm Firebird disc will end up frustrating you. I Camp Teebird might be too much as well. I have to agree with whoever mentioned a DX Banshee.

Overstable and noob are pretty much like oil and water, are they not? Just pick up a Super Soft Wizard and chuck that bad boy into the wind. :clap:

I'd go Viper or Teebird over Banshee. Just never clicked with the Banshee, felt like the flight was too C-shaped for me.

Star Destroyer!

Nah, just kidding. If you have the cash, Id try and rustle up a 10x KC Pro Eagle and an 11x KC Pro Banshee. The Eagle isn't quite as good a wind fighter as the Banshee, but it will really teach you how to throw. They are a potent co.bo, but I personally prefer Eagle/Teebird. Really, any OS Fairway should help you.

Fairway's tend to be less OS than their wider rimmed cousins, but they will teach you how to throw much better. Once you get those out past 300 ACCURATLEY (cant emphasize accuracy enough) then you can step it up. For further help, there's a place in the forums to post videos of your form to have users who are much better than I correct your form. That will also help you to wrangle some OS discs. Good luck!

At that power level and what you want get a champ teebird and throw it with good form. No need to worry about turning and burning. Actually if you only throw 250 you shouldn't be turning over much of anything.

You underestimate the deficiencies of my form :(

And so my education continues. Appreciate the responses.

I bought a Gazelle thinking i had found a decent wind disc, and while i like it quite a lot, I play in some bad weather, and it couldn't handle what I was throwing into.

Last edited:
If you are throwing 250 I think an Eagle would work just fine. If that's not overstable enough then try the Banshee, then Firebird. Eagles are great discs.

Champ Banshee. Just spent time learning the Banshee in headwinds and it's a great disc.

Latest posts