• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best Overstable Midranges You've Thrown

big fan of the vector here, even though i don't really have to use it much. very long; straight with fade. workable. the other i really enjoyed was the Pain by lat 64. not as long, but i still dug it.

beaded, though.

oh, and yeah - MVP is pretty durable. i don't currently throw a lot of their stuff, but i have thrown a lot of their lineup and that's one thing you definitely can't fault them on.

I got stuck on the shark3. No real reason, just did. Tried roc, roc3, hornet, wasp, m3, mace, warship, drone, zone (ok, like the zone but its a very os tweener).

SHARK3 You will not be disappointed. Extremely torque resistant. Flies straight as a string with a healthy fade at the end. Seriously underrated disc.

is the shark3 more overstable than wasp and/or roc3 ?
i have read both ways when compared to the roc3

It certainly is in 175 and above. As they get lower in weight they have less and less LSS. It edges out the wasp in stability by a small margin. Not hornet-like though. It's basically perfectly between those discs in terms of stability.

I find the crystal drone to be fantastic better grip than a z drone and tends to also be a hair less over stable. I also recommend the hornet nice flat profile

Verdict, Suspect, or Opto Mace max weight. The Suspect is shorter and all hog. The verdict is a substantially longer version of the Suspect. The Opto Mace is OS, but workable, you can flex it a little and shape some really cool shots. Suspect and Verdict are beadless

Not really a midrange, more of a tweener, but I couldn't live without my champ viper. If I rip on it I can get 300 and still have a hard fade on the end, but it is great for short skips, sweeping hyzers, and I can even force it over and have it come back at the end. I also love it because it tends to settle when it hits unless I try to make it skip

Just to expand a bit on the Suspect recommendations, as I've been recently testing one out myself:

The disc is awesomely HSS. It's got a nice healthy predictable fade, but it's not a meathook. The intense HSS seems to limit line shaping abilities a bit, at least in my presently-unfamiliar hands, but upon first blush this disc is probably the most consistent, easy-to-throw midrange I've ever tried out. I really fell head over heels for it after picking one up last week.

Vector has a bead but for me releases and feels way better than a Roc. If I need more OS than the Vector I go with the Viper, pretty sweet old school large diameter slow fairway driver. Never leave home without one sir.

Vector has a bead but for me releases and feels way better than a Roc. If I need more OS than the Vector I go with the Viper, pretty sweet old school large diameter slow fairway driver. Never leave home without one sir.

I carry a CE Viper, so dependable.

Also, it's practically a midrange; they're so damn overstable you can't throw them more than like 300 anyway.

Right, before getting a star Viper I had a dx and that thing was still beefy as hell. Try a dx Viper and see if you like it.

Pigs! If you want to consider them a mid. Otherwise gators are great!

Right, before getting a star Viper I had a dx and that thing was still beefy as hell. Try a dx Viper and see if you like it.

I used to throw DX Vipers but I got tired of having to constantly replace them.

They're a lot more useful than the CE/Star ones, much more manageable and you can do a lot of lines with them. I just only use mine for super overstable shots and headwind shots. I let my Rocs and other fairways do the shots a DX Viper could.

I'm really liking the Demon right now, but it is actually pretty long for a mid. So is the M1. I normally bag the M1 and the Tensor (Tensor is quite a bit shorter than an M1) but this winter am trying out the Demon, Drone, M1 and Gator to see who wins.

How does the M1 compare to the KC Pro ROC? I'm looking for more HSS and something I can throw more confidently into a headwind.

Latest posts