• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Plastic for Rollers?

Best Plastic for Rollers?

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
The brutal headwinds encountered on my field today made me think about rollers more than I usually do. So, for those that throw rollers regularly, do you prefer cheap DX discs to break into super flippy rollers quickly? Get a flippy champ disc to painfully break into a consistent flippy roller? Or some happy medium? Or maybe no method to the madness at all?

Kick those nasty thoughts.

I use a beat to crap dx teebird, and I like to think that all of the dings and scratches in it give it more friction on the ground, but that's probably in my head.

We are talking BH rollers right?

I roll with a flippy champ wraith. I think that heavy winds affect rollers as much or more than air shots though.

i can't throw a backhand roller to save my life, but i can roll my putters pretty accurately forehand

sorry, that doesn't really help, does it? they are soft wizards if that matters!

Depends on the variety of roller ur throwin. If it's the air-to-roller shot, base plastic is probably the best and most consistent. If u have a selection of drivers in base plastic that u have dedicated as roller discs, u wud still have a range of stabilities to choose from. Most rollers I throw start off like / and I flick it like a forehand. In this case I like something with good stability, so I opt mostly for discs with higher grade plastic. As long as I snap it well, it usually will hold the angle of release.

Technically, yes. And remember, I particularly want to hear if any plastic selection goes into picking a roller disc.

I don't really pick discs to be rollers, they beat in to be useless for anything else, which is why mine are usually DX and the like.

I think the best rollers are not rollers out of the box

I don't really pick discs to be rollers, they beat in to be useless for anything else, which is why mine are usually DX and the like.

I think the best rollers are not rollers out of the box

Not quite true, my favorite backhand roller was an ESP Avenger SS, right out of the box, and my fh roller is still an ESP Surge

I prefer Champ Plastic. I don't roll much but when I do it's either a Champ Monarch or Roadrunner in the low 170's. I just like the integrity of the plastic and the Monarch really proved to be a great out-of-the-box roller for me. I'm sure you can get any plastic to roll in the right disc. I used to roll Arch Angels (DX) quite well.

Pro plastic is what I like, pro valkyries and wraiths to be specific
if your talking forehand, i prefer star plastics like destroyers and bosses

I like Pro/X/TP for rolling. you need the extra grip to get that special yank you need for a good roller. I used to roll with either a TP Cyclone or an old Elite Pro XL. the newer X/Pro stuff is just as good since it beats in quite easily and is usually a bit less stable than the "standard" mold. but baseline should suffice depending on the mold.

Not quite true, my favorite backhand roller was an ESP Avenger SS, right out of the box, and my fh roller is still an ESP Surge

yeah your right, but I never buy a disc to be a roller. They just eventually turn into one

CE, I love to roll 2nd run TL's. they last longer too.

yeah your right, but I never buy a disc to be a roller. They just eventually turn into one

I didn't actually plan on buying either of those for rollers, they just worked out that way.

I say boy, the question is asked odd, but I think you are going about it all wrong for playing the wind. For rollers in general I prefer a stiff plastic, doesn't really matter if its DX, or Star, or Champ. I tend to prefer DX or Star although the variance in plastics is what I mostly look at and pick whatever is stiff enough. Flexible plastic can be interesting, and not very consistent as it will spring more and can take some bad bounces.

How beat the plastic is not something I really take into account, but how it rolls/flies is what I look for. It just depends on the roller shot I'm looking for.

Overstable discs roll fairly well into headwinds because they just go straight and its easier to play the wind.

Understable discs turn more on the ground just like in the air, and so the wind affects its more.

I didn't mean to say that I use rollers to play the wind, the wind was turning my drives into unintentional rollers and that made me think about rollers b/c I hardly throw them. Sorry for the confusion, it was meant to be a humorous anecdote. I must be slippin'.

I say boy, that joke flew by me. Most people just assume flippy discs are the best rollers, but I roll just about all my discs and it just depends on what line you want to take and wind also plays into it.

Yeah, I just want to know how much if any plastic type plays a part in selecting your roller disc.
tmahan said:
For distance, Star or occasionally Champ. For curves beat DX.
Hmm, interesting thought, 2 different kinds depending on distance vs curves. What's your reasoning behind that?

Latest posts