• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Player Without A Major Win

Not sure but in my mind it would have to be the Worlds and USDGC and maybe the European Open?

Who is/are the best player(s) without a major win? (MPO and/or FPO)

Related: who is the lowest rated player to have won a major tournament?

Current players with a Major:
Climo
Shultz
Rico
Todd
Doss
Feldberg
Jenkins
Locastro
McCabe
Schusterick
McBeth
Brinster
Wysocki
Koling
Sexton

Back to the original question(s):

Looks like Lizotte and McMahon might fit the category "Best Player w/o a Major"

Looks like Schusterick (1015) might be one that was lowest-rated (2010 USDGC) but I haven't done a ton of digging. Ron Russell also won his 1999 Worlds with a 1015 rating.

Back to the original question(s):

Looks like Lizotte and McMahon might fit the category "Best Player w/o a Major"

Looks like Schusterick (1015) might be one that was lowest-rated (2010 USDGC) but I haven't done a ton of digging. Ron Russell also won his 1999 Worlds with a 1015 rating.

Currently I'd say Lizotte, McMahon, and Nybo.

Avery Jenkins was rated 999 winning his first major.
Avery @ 2004 Japan Open M

Laser, I'm gonna make my DeLa case. I'm not trying to convert, just justify. :) First, if DeLa was really about luck Paul and Ricky wouldnt be nailing it down year after year, it would be spread to other lesser players. Second, While i agree, roots etc. should be dealt with, typically what gets a player in trouble is exceeding their skill level. On many courses you can take really hard runs at the basket with no risk. DeLa says no on pretty much every hole. I realize there's a value there but when Paul or Ricky runs at DeLa you know the risk and know what happens if they miss. DeLa holds me on my seat like few courses do.

That said, if you replaced DeLa with Worlds and wrapped that bundle up, I'd think it was a good move.

If you are not talking only current players then Stokely is/was the best player without a Major victory (in singles play). He was clearly the second best player in the world for a number of years in the 90's but never got over the top against Kenny. Harder to get a Major victory when there was only one of them to be had.

If you are not talking only current players then Stokely is/was the best player without a Major victory (in singles play). He was clearly the second best player in the world for a number of years in the 90's but never got over the top against Kenny. Harder to get a Major victory when there was only one of them to be had.
I'd add Markus Källström to that list and probably Mike Moser.

Laser, I'm gonna make my DeLa case. I'm not trying to convert, just justify. :) First, if DeLa was really about luck Paul and Ricky wouldnt be nailing it down year after year, it would be spread to other lesser players. Second, While i agree, roots etc. should be dealt with, typically what gets a player in trouble is exceeding their skill level. On many courses you can take really hard runs at the basket with no risk. DeLa says no on pretty much every hole. I realize there's a value there but when Paul or Ricky runs at DeLa you know the risk and know what happens if they miss. DeLa holds me on my seat like few courses do.

That said, if you replaced DeLa with Worlds and wrapped that bundle up, I'd think it was a good move.

I've thought about that. Luck fest is unfair and the list of winners proves it's not that. It requires precise execution for sure, but there are multiple holes where they are literally throwing into trees and hoping to fall in a good spot, lots of roots that cause roll aways that are impossible to predict, and generally just weird lines that I don't find entertaining to watch. A "pure" shot at Dela often still feels a little lucky to me. It has a handful of iconic holes that are fantastic and if you like death putts it's a great course, but my personal opinion is that theme is over used. It's all subjective, but when I think of courses on tour that could fit major status there are so many ahead of Dela.

Dela has a history and prestige that fits the major narrative and I feel like those things, rather than the course, are what the pros really love. If Dela was put in the ground today and the tour went through I think you would hear many pros calling it out as a gimmicky course, but I could be wrong.

I vote Eagle and Simon current. Stokelya and Moser in the 90s for sure. Kallstrom was a good pick too, but his career ended short. He had unbelievable arm speed. Wish he kept playing.

Cale Leiviska has been a top 10 player for the last decade without that signature W, so my vote is for him.

Sounds like there really is no clear definition of a disc golf major, as there is in golf and tennis.

I vote for Cale.

For over 11 years his rating has dropped under 1020 for only 3 months. That's an impressive amount of consistency for a long time! He is quite underrated, imo.

I think Cale and Matt Orum are in almost the same exact boat...