• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Putter as a Driver (and a putter)

spike in grip line. i love the zero line for a putter but a few good tree hits and it won't be the same. grip line has a great feel and you can really put some sauce on it.

the sinus is even more stable too if you want something you know will not turn over.

I would agree an Aviar is the best. I would suggest picking a putter that feels good in your hand, learn how it flies and stick with it. I have 2 putters in my bag and have had them both for over 15 years. They feel comfortable in my hand when I putt and I know what they're going to do. One's a Ching small bead Aviar the other is the original 86 Softie.

I'm definitely a fan of the R-Pro Dart as my driving putter. It's super straight flying and will hold pretty much any line you throw it on!

I love my Challengers for driving. I've got three different plastics in my bag (Pro D, FLX, Cryztal), and I'd trust all of them for drives and putts. I do prefer the Cryztal though for drives.

Just recently I started driving with my D Banger GT and must admit it has performed really well. I have been playing the putter swap game for a couple weeks, but I just keep coming back to the Banger because of the way it feels in my hands. I picked up a soft one this afternoon and can't wait to try it tomorrow. If all goes well, the Banger will become my workhorse putter.

For me it depends on the shot. I almost always (with an exception, which I'll mention later) put a little hyser on my putter drives, so the hole layout and headwind dictates what putter I'll use for a drive.

For most straight, anny, or minor hyser drives I'll employ a Magic. I tried using an Ion, and I just couldn't get the feel of it, so I went back to using my Magic today which I love for any of those shots.

If there is a minor headwind or I want a bit of fade on the end of the disc's flight, I'll use a Wizard. The Wizard handles a little headwind really well.

For VERY strong headwinds, or if the hole is a dogleg left, I'll use a Pig. I can crank on the Pig really hard, and it will not turn over. Also, I haven't seen a wind yet that can turn it over. This is the only putter I drive with that I release flat. The Pig also works really well for short flicks....

Simple answer:

Wizard
Ion

Pick the one that feels better in your hand, and go throw it. They both have the weight distributed more to the outside of the disc which lets the disc fly great when you get enough snap. Try the Glo plastic Wizard. It's a little tougher than some of Gateway's other plastics and feels great in the hand.

Exactly what I do. Exactly.

\/\/

The only thing with the Aviar P&A, Magnet and similar discs is they can start to get a bit squirrley once you're throwing them over 220' or so. Some people don't find that, or mind, but it's the reason you see so many people suggesting the beaded or more stable to overstable putters.

Agree with ion having weight on the outside of disc Whig let's it fly. I used to throw mids on some shorts holes but the ion is great for technical shots.

I can throw my esp banger gt as a driver for anything 200' or shorter. For me i just have to be sure to keep the nose down.

Putters (as a group) are a lot more generic in their distance.
Generally speaking, if you throw 10 different popular putters, exactly the same, they're likely to land in a 10ft circle. (Aviar, Magic, Ion, Banger, Challenger, Wizard, etc. Not the weird ones like 10M Brick or Polecat)
If you throw them 300ft, you might want to pick the more stable ones (Challenger, Zone, Ion, Wizard, Aviar Big Bead) but most of us could pick a putter out of a bin and throw it for distance just as well as the one in our bag.

At short courses I use a putter everywhere possible because they don't go too far or fade too much. I recommend it to everyone on here..

I prefer a Pro-D Challenger for drives within 250 that need to go straight or turn. Love the grip and the stiffness. I'll use a champ Rhyno for hyzers.

Z Challengers are great having tons of glide and stability for a putter;), but I can putt with a buzzz too, or maybe a stalker!

Just picked up a champion rhyno for short range down hill side arms...but trying to drive with this disc is awesome....she will take all you can give her, and she lands soft...good for limited length, but undercontrol backhand drives....totally impressed by how hard I could mash on this disc.

Again limited on distance due to is design to plummet to the earth, but if you have a use, I would highly recommend. :thmbup:

Since switching from Rhynos to Wizards I find myself throwing further with less effort due to the glide, which makes it a better putter too. Loved me some Rhynos last summer though :p

Banger GT, gives me the best grip for driving and putting.

for me its the rhyno. the overstability means i can really lean into it and still have good control over it. just my opinion though. to each his own.