• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best putter of all time and why?

I've auditioned about 10 molds in the last two years and finally fell for the Zero Medium Keystone. I have about 20 now.

It's everything I wanted the Bullfrog to be.

Roach - cuz that's been my putting putter for a couple years and I like it.

I've auditioned about 10 molds in the last two years and finally fell for the Zero Medium Keystone. I have about 20 now.

It's everything I wanted the Bullfrog to be.

I, semi-randomly, ended up on the Zero Hard Keystone earlier this year. I assume it's "Indigenous Person not Arrow", but my putting is miles better than it was earlier in the year. Although, I had been putting with Challengers, and I think the fact that the Keystone is a much shallower disc, with more glide, a little bit of turn and much less fade, all play a part for my particular hands/body and putting style.

And that last bit is why the original question is largely meaningless. What works best for me is not what works best for someone else. Sure, if I keep pounding a round peg into a square hole, I'll eventually get them to mesh. Any disc can be made to work, but that doesn't mean we don't have preferences. And we all know the mental side of the game is probably more important than the physical, especially when it comes to putting.

I try to learn stuff from the sages on this forum. It saves me potential time and money. In light of that, Voodoos.....and I'm sticking to them because I find the micro bead more suitable to my hands than the bigger bead of my Wizards.... and THAT gives me a more relaxed confidence when putting since I'm not thinking about feel. As far as the original question, and without being too knowledgeable, I'd guess that the winningest putter of all time would be the Aviar, but people sure do love their Gateway putters.

I tried tons of putters early on. Switched to the wizard and have never looked back. Have over 30 of them to practice with. It's been the only thing really keeping gateway relevant for 20 years.

It's hard to say that the Aviar isn't the greatest putter ever. Wizard for life over here, but even the Wizard is an improved Aviar. Most everyone's favorites are either an Aviar copy or a slight tweak.

Envy here duh :D

Excellent approach ability, FH or BH, OH ok..., some big differences in flight from premium plastic to soft base plastic. It can pretty much fill all your putter slots.

Putts decent too. Reasonable wind resistance. A solid do it all disc.

picture.php

I haven't used them full-time for quite some time, but for a really long time the Aviar was it. It's the template that everything else is based on. If there can only be one, it's the Aviar.

Anything deep with a bead, happened into a stack of KC Aviars so that's what is in the bag. But wizards are dope, the ION is also dope, the penrose feels relatively the same (sharper bead imo), Focus are alright (less lss), daggers are cool if you can find stiff ones, etc. Putters are like pizza, even the bad ones are still pretty good.

OG Grape Wizard #5 Limited Edition Party Time Stamp (OOP)

If you are going to pick one, the Aviar would likely get the most votes.

I think you are right, especially if there is only one option for Aviar. If you have different options for classic aviar, small bead aviar, and big bead aviar, that would break that voting block up a bit. But even then, I think big bead aviar is going to be the all around winner.

Personally, I like the wizard, rhino, and judge, and currently throw wizards. But when I paid for lessons from skilled disc golfers, they recommended the big bead aviar as the best putt AND approach disc for getting up and down in two from the fairway. At that time, challenger was the equivalent putter from discraft, and I'm sure others have emerged since.

Wizards were available then and I think they were well respected as pure putters and also driving putters, but they didn't offer that skippy approach shot that many pros seem to want in a main putter. But IDK for sure.

If a big bead aviar is stable then wouldn't an Envy be perfect?

Obviously you can't fight history, aviar has turnaround forever.. Wizard is solid... Envy's still my choice...

What pi--es me off with Aviar is the giant variety, like really 5-10+? different flavours. Big bead, small bead, no bead, jk, pro, KC, yeti etcetera... that's like 20 different putters with 20+ yrs of history vs any one new single un modified mold. (Though I think electron is a different envy mold)

I started out putting a Judge. I think got a Magnet in a mystery box and tried that and seemed to make more putts. Went back and forth between those for a while, decided to try something beadless because I'd sometimes tug putts to the right. Tried a Deputy, missed everything right. Tried a Classic Aviar and started making longer putts for the first time. And I love the classic stamp and the idea of putting the original, so I'm confident when I putt them. I've stuck with it since.

What is funny is that I don't think I've ever played with another player that uses an Aviar. They putt Bergs and Lunas and Pilots and MVP putts and P Model S's and P Model US's. It even feels like people who let me play through snicker when they see me walking up to a tee, wiping off my grids.

I find all the Aviars (and P2)'s too deep to be comfortable throwers, though. I like Judges for that.

Pilot from Streamline.

With that being said, it's hard to classify what the "best" putter is due to the different factors that a person make look for in a putter. I personally like the fact that the Pilot is a neutral putter that isn't too deep to putt with. It is a great approach disc as well.

Wizard. Gateway doesn't need fancy schmancy ad campaigns or high profile celebrity type players pushing the mold. Wizards sell themselves.

Whenever this is brought up, I go back to the words of Frank Delicious. "Inside the circle, a putter's a putter." (Probably the only civil thing he posted here.)

As for me, I've been through several putters and will probably use a max weight Lightning #2 for the rest of my DG life. Not that there's anything special about it. It just feels right.

Latest posts