• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best putter of all time and why?

Whenever this is brought up, I go back to the words of Frank Delicious. "Inside the circle, a putter's a putter." (Probably the only civil thing he posted here.)

As for me, I've been through several putters and will probably use a max weight Lightning #2 for the rest of my DG life. Not that there's anything special about it. It just feels right.
Waaayyy before Frank Delicious, Dave McCormack was telling me I had too many discs in my bag. I had a "driving putter" and a "putting putter"; he laughed at me and said "all putters do the same thing when you are putting. Pick out the putter you like off the tee and putt with it." :|

People let putting get in their head. The reason that discs like the KC Pro Aviar and Wizard have been the gold standard for putters for decades is because they are great driving putters. Once you drive the thing into C1 off the tee, you might as well pick it up and put it in the basket.

Pick out the putter you like off the tee and putt with it.

I like the spirit and rationale behind this but it just doesn't work for me. My putting grip is different than my throwing grip. What I like in a putting putter (deep with a high shoulder) I struggle to drive with and what I throw well off the tee (shallow and flat) Just doesn't translate well to my putting style. Or lack there of.

I like the spirit and rationale behind this but it just doesn't work for me. My putting grip is different than my throwing grip. What I like in a putting putter (deep with a high shoulder) I struggle to drive with and what I throw well off the tee (shallow and flat) Just doesn't translate well to my putting style. Or lack there of.
Mine didn't, either. I just worked with it until it did.

The bonus of that exercise is that I can putt with anything; nothing feels weird to me. I've got no "too deep" or "too shallow" or "no bead" restrictions on putters, I can use anything.

Last edited:

The bonus of that exercise is that I can putt with anything; nothing feels weird to me. I've got no "too deep" or "too shallow" or "no bead" restrictions on putters, I can use anything.

Obviously, I'm lacking your mad skills or your ability and willingness to adapt. Lol.

It would honestly be easier for me to take my putting putter and adapt to throwing it than it would be for me to take my favorite throwers and adapt to putting with them.

Too soft? Too Hard?

Too soft describes 95% of putters so you learn to live with it.

I always thought I preferred the softer plastics. The soft p-lines, classic blend, etc.

I did like the feel and always thought that they "stuck" better.

Well, low and behold I found out that I putt so much better with firm, slightly less grippy putters. I don't really track my stats but I know my percentage of made putts has really gone up since I made the switch to stiff putters.

I always thought I preferred the softer plastics. The soft p-lines, classic blend, etc.

Well, low and behold I found out that I putt so much better with firm, slightly less grippy putters. I don't really track my stats but I know my percentage of made putts has really gone up since I made the switch to stiff putters.

Starting to come around to this myself, but it's a work in progress. I think my release may be more inconsistent with the grippy putters.

I was already playing when the Soft Magnet and Omega Supersoft came out. It sounded like such a great idea. Aviar PandA's and 86 Softies were already out in "soft" plastic, but that was more grippy soft than floppy soft. The Magnets and Omegas were waaayyy softer. I had a bunch of both and threw soft putters for about three or four years.

Then KC Pro Aviars came out and I realized that I'm an idiot. :|

People let putting get in their head. The reason that discs like the KC Pro Aviar and Wizard have been the gold standard for putters for decades is because they are great driving putters. Once you drive the thing into C1 off the tee, you might as well pick it up and put it in the basket.

Yes absolutely, putting is totally in your head and I agree 100 percent that anything is pretty much the same in c1.

I can see that, but I still prefer a distance disc that's lighter than max weight.

Well that's where a 167 envy is gold! Drives great And in the circle it has good loft with a defined fade like a heavier disc.

For me first time I picked up an Envy, my hand fell in love... add a good flight and reliable putting and blammo !

I just keep looking through this thread and know the envy is the clear winner and screw "history" , just because people used something for 30yrs doesn't mean it's the best it just has huge fan/comfort base and brand recognition. After all, they're all the same in the circle, might as well stick to one mold. I hear minimalism is good..

You can:
FH/BH/OH(kinda)
Use for approach/drive/putting...
Eat off it, water your dog, fits in a whitler just right...

What other disc nails it like that!!!!!???!!

The envy............. now comes with endorsement by current World Champion... :D

I was cleaning out my back ups and by far have the most putters out of drivers, fairways, mids, and putters. Apparently I can't make up my mind, but I'm settling with Wizards and Magics for now. I've tried to minimize my putter molds for a while now and I'll find a putter I love inside the circle, but not off the tee or vise versa (Pilots, Aviar P&As, Voodoos, I can go on for a while...) and would end up with 5 putter molds.

Like y'all were saying, inside the circle most of the putters be the same. I think the Wizard might be a winner for me: love the flight, love the plastic (this is a big reason for me...that sure grip is :thmbup:), and love how it beats in. I've got a Magic for outside the circle long putts, but other than that, all Wizards.

I'd use the Envy, but their baseline plastic doesn't click with me too well....

If we're talking the best putter FOR PUTTING, like if disc golf was just putting league, Dagger.

Otherwise, Wizard.

Doesn't matter.
Putting's too easy because the baskets are too big. Red licorice and all that... :p

Latest posts