• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Sidearm disc

I just got a champ xcal and I'm not normally a side arm thrower but the xcal just feels so comfortable and I get nice distance and decent accuracy (after a few throws) but so far I'm super happy with it. I wanted to just take a step outside my rhbh throws and expand my shot portfolio and the xcaliber did that for me.

Overstable is better for a beginner to hide OAT but that doesn't mean it will be better in the long run. I throw farthest with high speed understable discs with my forehand.

I have just recently realized and honed in on my sidearm. i only have the firebird, boss and dragon in my bag that works well with my sidearm drives.. i need some new ones that will work best... most others ive noticed try to roll over way to quick... the ones listed above gave me level shots.. thanks so much for any advice...

Welcome to the site. While many folks will tell you their favorite meathook discs in response to this question, the actual answer is that there is no best sidearm disc. Any disc you can throw backhand can be thrown sidearm, however most people (myself included) have very poor sidearm form and this causes the disc to roll over as you've seen. focus on throwing your normal backhand discs sidearm, and slow down your throw to focus on a clean release over power. You won't get as much distance as you would by railing on the boss or firebird right away, but you'll be building your sidearm throw properly and won't hit an early wall.

if you need an overstable disc to throw far sidearm then you have form issues. anything can work sidearm honestly, just like backhand. form is more important then the disc. i throw firebirds for fh hyzers, overstable star destroyers for flatter and longer hyzers, cpd or spd for straighter shots with fade, eagle x for dead straight distance in the woods, flx drones for 250-300 ft consistent mid range shots, buzz for softer touch shots and slower fading hyzers and z comets for dead straight in the woods shots, turnovers, rollers and get out of trouble stuff that is mind boggling due to the low speed, glide and understability. get versatile with your sidearm, don't just rely on some overstable xcal for all of your side arm shots. go to the field and practice throwing everything in your bag forehand.

This. "The best sidearm" disc is nothing but a myth. There is no universal disc for sidearm shots anymore than backhand shots. It's dependant on the players skill and form, as well as which line you need to hit under what kind of wind conditions.

I have a real noodle side arm. Throw the Buzzz about 70 meters (230 feet) only. Drivers dont go much further, so I use the Buzzz thinking rather be consistant as i use it for all forearm approaches (due to the narrow lip..small hands) Anything I should try as a step up?
or stick the buzz and improve form?

I have a real noodle side arm. Throw the Buzzz about 70 meters (230 feet) only. Drivers dont go much further, so I use the Buzzz thinking rather be consistant as i use it for all forearm approaches (due to the narrow lip..small hands) Anything I should try as a step up?

Stick with form, brother. Hwen you get everything down and it all "clicks" as they say, you'll see your distance improve by leaps and bounds. I drive almost exclusively sidearm (feels much more natural to me) and when I finally got all the pieces in place, I started sending my droves over 350 ft. consistently. Make sure you are practicing with max weight stuff and maybe take a video so the guys over in the "Improve Your Form" thread can help.

best of luck!

With my noodle arm I consistently get 300' fairly accurately side arm with these:

Star Xcal -parked one on a 290' basket this past Wed. for the CTP at our doubles league :D
Nuke my longest disc topping out around 350 course distance
Z Flick

Gl halo I can consistently throw it 450-500' and Its great in any wind because they are super flat and beefy.

Nuke SS has been my go to distance thrower 350-380 ft. I like the orion ls for straight shots an the lf for the fade shot. I also have been using the boatman a lot more for those big fade shots. Really though it comes down how you throw and what disc works best for you. Some people use overstable while others will use understable.

I had a hard time.jumping into fh'ing drivers. I started with putters and mids like the comet and wasp. While im still not where i want to be, i found the cyclone worked great as a bridge between mids and drivers. The rim is mid like and i could get it decently up to speed without it being an oat blanket.
Now i dont believe in a fh disc so i wouldnt suggest getting one to fh really; what fairways do you throw?

Cyclone is a really good first fh driver. Stable enough to not fly flippy but a touch of turn to help maximize D. I had some of my first 300' fh drives with a worn esp clone.

I have an unusual, arm-out forehand drive that resembles a sidearm pitch. When you are trying to drive 300+, you need an overstable driver with high speed glide. The best discs for this so far have been a Champ (not Pro) Katana 172 and a Star Wraith 171. Sometimes when the wind knocks these discs down, I'll move up to a 172 Champ Destroyer, but the Katana and Wraith ultimately go further.