• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Sidearm disc

Assuming you want to use the sidearm shot for the disc to fade or turn the opposite direction from your backhand throw (i.e., if the RHBH would like to use the sidearm for purposes of causing the disc to fade easier to the right), then I like the following for different reasons:

*TeeRex
Tsunami
Riot
Reaper (shorter flick shots/get out of trouble)
Predator (ditto)

I have tried several others but I like these the most.

Champion Krait. When you hit the forehand shot just right, it's a thing of beauty. It's the only disc I've ever got out to 400, and that was a RHFH drive (with tailwind, natch). Wraiths work well for forehand as well, but it can be a lot more fickle than a Krait. Kraits self-correct like a dream (but of course it robs you of distance.)

I also use a gummy Archangel for wooded RHFH drives. It's got a beautiful S-Curve and the gumminess means it stops on a dime if I hit a tree.

Best answer is still the same despite the tons of different suggestions here. Sidearm discs are the same as backhand discs. I can throw any disc sidearm, if you sidearm you should learn to do the same.

Beast works pretty well, but had a lot of luck with the Surge/Wraith/Flow set of discs, the saint as well, but is shorter then the others. I have a slightly beat FLX surge that goes forever on a sidearm throw

I get tired of the people that say " any disc is a good forehand disc ".

Its just not true. People that say you can throw any disc forehand are mostly people that dont throw forehand shots regularly.

Overstable to stable discs are ALWAYS better for forehand. Its much easier to release a backhand with anny than it is to release a forehand with hyzer.

So all you people recommending flippy stuff, stop it.

The trick is to find the least stable disc you can throw with consistency.
Flicks, Xcals and Firebirds will always be easy for just about anyone to flex out FH with some anny in thier release, but they arent distance monsters. The flatter you have to relase the disc, the harder it gets to keep a disc from turning into a roller.

I started throwing FH with Destroyers and Xcals, and I constantly fight to use less and less stable discs, but there is a very fine line between distance and turn and burn.

I still keep a Flick in the bag for upwind, but it doesnt glide very good.

I have a couple of overstable Vulcans that are my go to FH discs right now. I also have five other Vulcans that I can only throw BH because their just like everyone elses.

The most overstable Nuke thats not an OS is also good for me distance wise, currently thats a Glow Z, but every time it takes a hit it makes me think I need a new one.

Its just not true. People that say you can throw any disc forehand are mostly people that dont throw forehand shots regularly.

Overstable to stable discs are ALWAYS better for forehand. Its much easier to release a backhand with anny than it is to release a forehand with hyzer.

Flicks, Xcals and Firebirds will always be easy for just about anyone to flex out FH with some anny in thier release, but they arent distance monsters. The flatter you have to relase the disc, the harder it gets to keep a disc from turning into a roller.

I started throwing FH with Destroyers and Xcals, and I constantly fight to use less and less stable discs, but there is a very fine line between distance and turn and burn.

I have a couple of overstable Vulcans that are my go to FH discs right now. I also have five other Vulcans that I can only throw BH because their just like everyone elses.

The most overstable Nuke thats not an OS is also good for me distance wise, currently thats a Glow Z, but every time it takes a hit it makes me think I need a new one.

I flick Roadrunners on hyzer flips for 400' and can flick my Anodes 250'. I throw fh all the time and I throw every type of stability. I'm probably going to make a video of fh shots with understable discs because it might challenge some peoples view of the universe :p

PS - your lie is 5' off theleft of the fairway and you have no bh shot. You need a left turning 200' upshot fh. How you gonna toss that with an xcal and keep it on the tight green? Knowing how to flick a Comet makes the shot worlds easier.

Last edited:
First off I would like to say that I throw RHFH primarily. Any shot I can do it, I do it.

I flick my beat in 167g Star Boss 470' consistently and It has proven itself to be incredibly reliable. I keep 3 Bosses in my bag, all of them of different stabilities- Just a great forehand disc.

Firebirds are great and will go dead straight when they are powered hard and are beat in.

Gummy Champion Monsters: Uh! Don't get me started! Better yet, don't let me hold one because I wont let go (well, until it's time to throw it).

Z-Flicks are great for extremely hard turning shots and skips and what but try the 150 class flicks if you want something more unique. They turn over slightly but always manage to come back, allowing for great distance.

Also if you want an incredibly reliable forehanding putter, try a Pro Pig. I can get an easy 270ft out of it without even turning it over.

a real seasoned flick goes straight with minimal fade and will turnover. the 150's are either hard or gummy. the gummy ones you do not want they are squirrely as crap and unpredictable/nose sensitive.

If you can flick roadrunners like mike c suggested you can flick anything. You need to get over stable up to snap/wrist speed for it to take shape over distance.

I'm using a teerex for my overstable and wind driver. My wraith for straight/slight turnover. And arching for floppy shots. Xpress if I really to flip something overt for a while. And rarely for extreme overstable shots I use a groove!

i have literally thrown every disc in my bag on a forehand, including magics, sort of my specialty shot is making a magic my bitch on every type of forehand imaginable. i am famous for it all over the southeast and ****. :| :)

I think it was last week or the week before where I just missed a 175-200ish upshot on a magic flick, slight hyzer, flipped up flat, 0 turn, hit the chains and kicked out. Easy to do that if you know how to manipulate spin and arm speed along with height.

It's my mission in the next two weeks to learn a flick shot. Once i at least have the basics i'll try to get it to be a reliable shot. I don't have any idea how to do it at the moment. Whenever i do try, i use a very high speed driver and it goes about 60 feet in the air and 20 feet in front of me.

Could someone post or link the "go to" video for learning a flick shot please?

suggestions on a beginners flick disc are also appreciated

Thanks in advance

captain jack, I disagree with most of what you say. I am a 90% forehand thrower. Like you, I started throwing forehand with an Xcal and a found Destroyer. All it did was teach me to throw overstable discs on flex shots for distance. This made it harder to throw level and on a flat plane (for tight tunnels, low ceilings or anywhere that you don't have room for a helix shot). Throwing backhand, for me at least, has a much steeper learning curve; the forehand motion was much more natural. Like a backhand, a decent forehand throw needs to be based on form and not what disc is "easier" to throw. I will agree with you to a certain extent that there is a much narrower margin of error with a (read: my) forehand due to the fact that it is easier to strong-arm and induce OAT. Working with less stable discs will help in learning how to throw flat/level and with hyzer. It only took me a week or two to get a reliable hyzer-flip with a Valkyrie. I throw flex shots with an Orc or Wraith. If I want to throw level/straight and finish straight, I throw Teebirds/TLs. With all of these throws, the only thing I concentrate on is throwing smoothly without over-powering the disc and to a lesser extent, release angles. I can, however, over-power a Teebird into a long turnover shot without it burning into the ground by having decent form (read: throwing it faster than it's flight rating to induce more under-stability). When I need a hard fade or fight a heavy headwind, I will throw either a 150 zFlick, Destroyer or Xcal.

Like Mike C, I can forehand anything in my bag, US-Stable-OS, (including putters, mids, fairways, and ultra-fast drivers) depending on what kind of shot I need to make. I don't have a Roadrunner but I do have a Sidewinder that I can hyzer-flip for a max-d that has a straight flight with a flat landing.

PhillyMatt: "Dave's Tips" on the Innova website has a good forehanding video, probably the best I've seen even though it's not too long. He has kind of a wierd wind-up, but the rest of his form is spot-on.

Fix. Your. Form.

If you can't throw anything except the most OS discs FH, it's because you're either strong-arming or throwing an anny-flex.

You know those noobs that throw Apes BH with a huge anny flex because that's the only way they know how to get distance? The same noobs you outdrive with your putter? I think you can see where I'm going from here.

Fraser: You bring up an interesting point. I drive on any hole over 200 RHFH, and I have a variety of drivers (check my sig line) and I've been throwing that way for so long that I can make almost any shot (i.e. flex shots, hyzer flips, annys, etc) but I think what captain jack was referring to was begginers. If you're just learning a forehand, then you really need to use a few specific discs....at least until you've mastered your form.

Then again, I'm not a huge beliver in strict, by-the-book form either. I have an unconventional follow-through (see my avatar for an example) and my grip when forehand driving is only using two fingers: thumb and forefinger. It works for me, but begginers really need to stick to the basics before they progress to putting their own style on things, IMO.

FH Driver

I drive FH mostly , and I'm trying to learn BH .

Only my second year playing , but started playing league this summer . Everyone is impressed with my FH and I'm quite competitive with the big dogs but I haven't figured out putting yet . Always hope that I'm paired with a putter becuz I'm a consistent driver .

But I've noticed so many different ways that FH is thrown . I'm impressed with the guys who just snap their wrist , looks so easy but sometimes inconsistent . But my throw is more like a baseball sidearm , lots of arm movement . Played my first tourney this summer and 3 of 4 in my first round all had different sidearm throws . This prolly has something to do with all the opinions of what discs you should be throwing ( still trying to grasp the OS/US theories if that shows how noob I am ) .

My go to driver is a Valk that goes dead straight , and be damned if I can get a Wraith to do anything that I could use on course .

Just like dad used to say , " U got a lot to learn , so better learn something everyday !"

Keep it coming , I'm following this thread ......

The Best Overall disc to FH are the Star Wraith and Z Surge.

They are not too overstable or understable just the perfect mix.

Other that are fun to throw are Z Xpress and Star Destroyer.