• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Small Bag for Soggy Play

I live in a very similar climate ...don't bother if it's a wilderness style course...2) My small set up is a plasti-dipped Innova Comp bag that I have rigged up with an additional cordura flap that extends past the sides of the bag by a few inches and covers the entire putter pocket in the front. I attached the flap to the existing "lid".
I only carry 8-10 discs and use the divider to keep them snug and use the rest of the interior space for towels.

You could do this with any bag. But the combo of the dry bottom and the big umbrella like flap on top works really well. Also keeps your back drier because you don't have a soggy bag rubbing against you. Gross.

Thanks wolfey, yes we share weather with B.C., among many other good things.

I only play wilderness courses and only 18 max a day. A dry bottom and a reasonably good top is all I ask of a bag, especially because it is beyond my understanding why anyone would carry a bag full of puddles on their back. :\

Nice thing about plastidipping a bit up the sides; you really don't have to worry about where you set your bag down on a messy/muddy course. Three good coats and that stuff is basically bullet-proof. Very easy to wipe mud and stuff away without it working itself into the fabric.

Yes, the Fade quad straps have the built in rain fly. I used this setup for 2 years with the Fade tourney bag. Overall it works really well. I never had a problem with the waterproofing or anything like that.

The setup is pretty slick: you just unzip a pouch that sits up by your shoulders, and the fly deploys from there. The outside is elastic, it wraps down around the bottom and sides of the bag. You can still access your discs through the opening that sits against your back when the bag is on. This means that even the bottom of the bag doesn't get wet, and also there's nothing there to get water on your back.

A few cons as follows:

Can be tough to reach the side/front pouches since you have to reach in through the "back" of the bag.

As far as I know, the rainfly is only available in black, so it kind of looks like you're carrying around a garbage bag on your back.

Nice thing about plastidipping a bit up the sides; you really don't have to worry about where you set your bag down on a messy/muddy course. Three good coats and that stuff is basically bullet-proof. Very easy to wipe mud and stuff away without it working itself into the fabric.

Messy and muddy sums up my disc golf life. I just bought a can of plasti dip and a few foam brushes. Before I apply it to an Innova Starter bag, one last question. What do I do about the mesh pocket in front? Ignore/avoid? Paint inside the mesh and peel from the front? Something else? Suggestions please.

Also, will using a fan speed up the drying process?

Last edited:
Not sure of best way to handle the mesh. I think that's only a thing the last few years. Putter pockets on prior models was same material as rest of bag. It does pose a challenge in terms of extending the coating up on that side. :\

First thought that comes to mind would be to mask the inside of the bottom of mesh pocket with tape...duct tape should work pretty well. Try to get a clean, decent application of the tape so as to leve as little gap at the edges as possible. Then just paint over the mesh on the outside. The stuff is fairly thick, and while a single coat may not completely seal the gap left by the tape, I have a feeling 3-4 should.

I'd give it plenty of dry time after final application, and gently remove tape. Once it dries, plastidip is pretty tough... should be able to handle peeling tape away with no ill effects.

At least that's what I'd try.
Maybe someone's got a better suggestion?

Last edited:
I had some lower back issues earlier this season and tried my best to lighten up and carry fewer discs. I went from 20+ discs with the Dynamic Discs Commander to 10-12 using my Fade Crunch Box. I can't say enough good things about that bag. My first Fade bag lasted me five years and hundreds of rounds. The one I currently have I added backpack straps to it. You could limit your disc selection much further (5-6 perhaps) without the shape of the bag being compromised. Add yourself a set of quads and you have a very lightweight setup for around $60. If it has to be lighter, the Upper Park Focus looks pretty nice for the same price.

That might help lighten your load. I feel like playing wet rounds might take some more bag modifications. Some folks have mentioned ways to waterproof your setup...plasti dip or nic wax are good options. Be prepared when you go out for a soggy round: carry extra towels, birdie bags, and clothing. Remember that Ziploc bags are your friends! I've done a great deal of distance backpacking and lining my gear with plastic bags has done a much better job at keeping things dry than any pack cover I've tried. Best of luck to you out there. If you do get wet, it'll only happen once that day so don't let it affect your game!