• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole 7 Leather Disc Golf Bag Review

Reniger

* Ace Member *
Pat at Hole 7 was kind enough to let me review his product, the Leather Disc Golf Bag. I must say, I am genuinely impressed.

First the features;
  • 100% Top Grain Leather
    No bonded or laminate leather, only 100% top grain, water resistant leather.
  • Heavy-Duty Brass Hardware
    Very strong, no worries of bending or pulling out any clasps.
  • Leather "Insulated" 40oz Drink Holder
    I could easily fit a 40oz Hydroflask in as well as cinch down the drawstring for a tight hold on a 16oz water bottle.
  • Leather Accessory Pouch
    Backside pouch which zips for water resistant protection of valuables.
  • Mesh Accessory Pouch
    Inside of the top flap is easy storage for your minis, clipboard, scorecards, pencils or in-game essentials.
  • 12-13 Disc Capacity w/ Leather Putter Pouch
    I bagged 4 drivers, 3 fairways, 4 mids, and a putter with ease.
  • High Quality, Heavy Duty Stitching
    Inner finished seams with heavy-duty thread on all exposed areas resulting in a very robust manufacture.
  • Long, Adjustable Shoulder Strap
    At 6', I could easily adjust this down well below my waist. I could also draw it up to rib height making it comfortable for players of all sizes.

First impression was that this is definitely a solid, quality build. The top quality leather is firm, smooth, and more like you're find inside a Maserati than a typical shoulder bag. Unboxing also confirmed that this is, indeed, the best smelling bag in the game. Stitching seamed to be the same weight thread used in naval stitching on watercraft in my industry, meaning fraying and loose stitching is very unlikely from my time in the automotive and marine business. Heavy brass hardware and zippers also reinforced my impression of a robust, quality product.

On loading up the bad and "testing" it around my yard, with 12 discs, it was comfortable and sat well against my hip. Typical setup for small shoulder bags allows easy access to all of your discs, but with a stiffer frame of the bag offering smoother removal and insertion of discs.

I've since played several rounds over the last couple weeks and have been increasingly impressed with this bag. I have owned dozens of bags over the 14 years I've been playing and have never found a small sized bag of this quality. Nutsac being the closest I can recall. It stands on the ground extremely well with no worries of sagging or tipping, the drink holder has a leather exterior which offers some insulation to keep your beverage cool, closing the top in moderate rain kept all my discs as well as my phone and keys in the backside leather pocket completely dry, and even intentionally scuffing the bottom on gravel and rough terrain showed little wear. I have hiked through thick woods and some thorns and you can tell that the leather has some abrasions, but they are very minor and you have to closely inspect the bag to spot them. I'm sure after significant use, the leather will begin to look seasoned, however, this product seems to hold up very well to typical wear and tear.

I have several Cadets, Innova and Westside Standard, Discraft Weekender, a Nutsac, and Reptilian Gecko small-style bags in the closet and car, and Hole 7 offers by far the best product of them all. Out of all my small bags up to this point, I've loved my Gecko the best, but the Leather Disc Golf bag improves on all the usual issues of small bags. Much higher level construction and seamwork, no sagging or risk of tipping over, ease of inserting/retrieving discs, and higher grade hardware.

At $89 shipped, this is an absolutely unparalleled bag for disc golfer who enjoy the highest quality, great looks, and uncomplicated rounds. For those who like to carry smaller loads, the Leather Disc Golf Bag offers everything you'll need to carry a light load and have the most unique bag on the course.

WddqXDb.jpg

72iCScA.jpg

ycYr0Gy.jpg

i1sQWfm.jpg

gcXpYkp.jpg

Apologies for not being a professional photographer. :D Feature video coming as soon as I renew my editing software.

Pat at Hole 7 was kind enough to let me review his product, the Leather Disc Golf Bag. I must say, I am genuinely impressed.

First the features;
  • 100% Top Grain Leather
    No bonded or laminate leather, only 100% top grain, water resistant leather.
  • Heavy-Duty Brass Hardware
    Very strong, no worries of bending or pulling out any clasps.
  • Leather "Insulated" 40oz Drink Holder
    I could easily fit a 40oz Hydroflask in as well as cinch down the drawstring for a tight hold on a 16oz water bottle.
  • Leather Accessory Pouch
    Backside pouch which zips for water resistant protection of valuables.
  • Mesh Accessory Pouch
    Inside of the top flap is easy storage for your minis, clipboard, scorecards, pencils or in-game essentials.
  • 12-13 Disc Capacity w/ Leather Putter Pouch
    I bagged 4 drivers, 3 fairways, 4 mids, and a putter with ease.
  • High Quality, Heavy Duty Stitching
    Inner finished seams with heavy-duty thread on all exposed areas resulting in a very robust manufacture.
  • Long, Adjustable Shoulder Strap
    At 6', I could easily adjust this down well below my waist. I could also draw it up to rib height making it comfortable for players of all sizes.

First impression was that this is definitely a solid, quality build. The top quality leather is firm, smooth, and more like you're find inside a Maserati than a typical shoulder bag. Unboxing also confirmed that this is, indeed, the best smelling bag in the game. Stitching seamed to be the same weight thread used in naval stitching on watercraft in my industry, meaning fraying and loose stitching is very unlikely from my time in the automotive and marine business. Heavy brass hardware and zippers also reinforced my impression of a robust, quality product.

On loading up the bad and "testing" it around my yard, with 12 discs, it was comfortable and sat well against my hip. Typical setup for small shoulder bags allows easy access to all of your discs, but with a stiffer frame of the bag offering smoother removal and insertion of discs.

I've since played several rounds over the last couple weeks and have been increasingly impressed with this bag. I have owned dozens of bags over the 14 years I've been playing and have never found a small sized bag of this quality. Nutsac being the closest I can recall. It stands on the ground extremely well with no worries of sagging or tipping, the drink holder has a leather exterior which offers some insulation to keep your beverage cool, closing the top in moderate rain kept all my discs as well as my phone and keys in the backside leather pocket completely dry, and even intentionally scuffing the bottom on gravel and rough terrain showed little wear. I have hiked through thick woods and some thorns and you can tell that the leather has some abrasions, but they are very minor and you have to closely inspect the bag to spot them. I'm sure after significant use, the leather will begin to look seasoned, however, this product seems to hold up very well to typical wear and tear.

I have several Cadets, Innova and Westside Standard, Discraft Weekender, a Nutsac, and Reptilian Gecko small-style bags in the closet and car, and Hole 7 offers by far the best product of them all. Out of all my small bags up to this point, I've loved my Gecko the best, but the Leather Disc Golf bag improves on all the usual issues of small bags. Much higher level construction and seamwork, no sagging or risk of tipping over, ease of inserting/retrieving discs, and higher grade hardware.

At $89 shipped, this is an absolutely unparalleled bag for disc golfer who enjoy the highest quality, great looks, and uncomplicated rounds. For those who like to carry smaller loads, the Leather Disc Golf Bag offers everything you'll need to carry a light load and have the most unique bag on the course.

WddqXDb.jpg

72iCScA.jpg

ycYr0Gy.jpg

i1sQWfm.jpg

gcXpYkp.jpg

Apologies for not being a professional photographer. :D Feature video coming as soon as I renew my editing software.

Nice review, Reniger. Sounds like you were pretty impressed. Though you were pretty descriptive of the adjustability of the strap, I had some concerns of comfort of it on long days of play. What did you think?

Nice review, Reniger. Sounds like you were pretty impressed. Though you were pretty descriptive of the adjustability of the strap, I had some concerns of comfort of it on long days of play. What did you think?

Honestly, I will probably add a velcro-on strap pad as the strap is a little thin for someone with broader shoulders. The strap is reminiscent of the seat belt style fabric, so I have no worries on durability, but I'll be more comfortable with a little cushion and wider resting point on my shoulder.

Nice job on the review, but now for the real question... did it lower your scores? :p

I loved my basic Fade Crunchbox, but it only lasted about 1.5 seasons before it started literally coming apart at the seams.

I already kind of wanted one of these. Now I really want one. That backside zipper pocket is a great idea.

.. even intentionally scuffing the bottom on gravel and rough terrain showed little wear. I have hiked through thick woods and some thorns and you can tell that the leather has some abrasions, but they are very minor and you have to closely inspect the bag to spot them. I'm sure after significant use, the leather will begin to look seasoned, however, this product seems to hold up very well to typical wear and tear...

Great review. Thank you. You had this old skeptic sold quickly. My only concern is that it almost looks too pretty and cosmopolitan for DG, so I was hoping for some early seasoning. Leather bags look better with a bit of wear IMHO. This one makes me want to match my shoes to my bag. :cool: But I will still buy one as soon as funds allow.

Good Job Reniger on the review! Thanks....that was very thorough. I will add the following: the leather I purchased was described to me as "genuine cowhide leather, wax-oil finish" I was further assured it was not a bonded leather product (or pu)(very important) Unfortunately, the semantics and verbage can vary considerably from region to region, and even company to company. What one called top-grain, another called Nubuck. What one called split-grain, another called Suade. What one called bonded, another called PU/leather. To complicate things even more, some(not all) will further designate shoulder cut vs side cut vs belly cut.....all of which is important. Being my paperwork says "genuine cowhide leather"....I will use that verbage, since that is what I can be most reasonably certain of.

Also....I did include a container of a specific brand leather protector with the bag I sent Reniger. The bag already comes with a protective finish, so I do not think it is needed initially. At some point I intend to use it for long term maintenence. I tested it on the bottom of my bag for application ease,discoloration, etc.....not sure if Reniger did yet...if so Reniger, pls comment.

Reniger I would also be interested how often you would get asked about it by others out on the course. Happens to me pretty often.

Thanks again for the review!

Doh! I completely forgot! Yes, this bag does have one treatment of Obenauf's Leather Preservative. It gave a very small amount more gloss to the bag overall, but I expect this to be much more for long-term conditioning rather than any noticeable daily effect. However, that is just my opinion and I may be entirely incorrect.

Thanks. I included this product just so Reniger could confirm its usefullness. It does not come standard with each bag, but is not expensive or difficult to use. The container was $12, and is not mandatory but probably usefull in the long run. Got mine at Boot Barn....similiar products (Sno Seal, etc) avail at places the sell work boots,ski boots,etc

Last edited:
Yo' fellas! You might wanna let someone know one of these would look particularly handsome beneath the tree in about 7 months. Perhaps you got a birthday comin' up?

Maybe you hit a cash CTP or an Ace pool... :D

^ Available, liquid income is the only thing in the way right now. Will have one sooner than Xmas I hope.

I knew from the start this would be a discretionary niche product that could not compete with what is currently available on price.
I was at Academy Sports one day and decided to check out what they had available. They actually had some good molds and premium plastic and I think I remembered an off-brand bag or 2. Then I happened to notice what was around the disc golf section on the shelf...pogo sticks, toy fire trucks and race cars, a plastic ball and bat set..etc...and I realized I was literally on the toy isle.

I realize many disc golfers are indeed late teens,younger 20's, but would like to provide an alternative type product for those that want it. I am not bashing the quality of any product btw..there is some quality stuff available for sure.

I also know that's not where most people get their stuff, but still, that "toy isle" image kind of struck me as something many people do not care for.

Last edited:
in the spirit of the more "grown-up" look, any plans to offer in color variations... black perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes. I wanted to offer more colors right from the start, but there were strict minimum order quantity requirements placed on me for each color that made it financially not feasable at this very early stage. So I had to choose between black or various shades of brown/tan to start with.

Last edited:
Great review. Thank you. You had this old skeptic sold quickly. My only concern is that it almost looks too pretty and cosmopolitan for DG, so I was hoping for some early seasoning. Leather bags look better with a bit of wear IMHO. This one makes me want to match my shoes to my bag. :cool: But I will still buy one as soon as funds allow.

I also think it will look cool with a little seasoning to give it some character. One could always intentionally hasten that process I suppose:) At the other end of the spectrum, some have expressed concern that it would get dinged up too easily. The Obenauf product is designed to protect against that, but as I mentioned in another thread, leather back packs,boots,gloves etc have been around forever and people don't seem to be overly concerned with that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure black shiny leather would be a great idea. Think about black leather car seats and fried legs...
Just don't leave it in the greenhouse (i.e. passenger compartment) for hours on end on a hot summer day.
It won't get nearly as hot in the trunk.

I was just referring to it getting hot while out on the course. I used to have a bunch of black duct tape on a Lat64 strap that started to fray. At a tourney once my bag was sitting in the sun for a couple minutes while we were waiting to tee off. When I put it on it nearly burnt my neck. I put some regular duct tape on it that night, lol. I just think if he is gonna make a black one, wouldn't a suede type materiel be better?

Latest posts