• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Best Surge Plastic

Best Surge Plastic

• Pro-D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elite-X

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Elite-Z

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • ESP

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • ESP FLX

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters
Honestly I crossed over to the FLX Surge and came right back to the ESP. Both FLX's I had went swimming, forever.... Thats just the case with the Surge though. Every other FLX mold I've got I love. The FLX Surge for me is just too flexible for the snap it requires. FH or BH...
My throw is about 95% snap (somehow I'm still able to get 300+), so the FLX is perfect for me.

You missed one...Supercolor. They are rated as a 1.5 stability but seem to be a little more stable than the 1.6 and 1.7 rated plastics. The plastic is white ESP but has lasted much longer than ESP plastic.

And also there are the unreleased Surges as seen in the stack on the right. These went out to team members but were a little understable. They changed the bead slightly and the current Surge was born.

http://www.edgeleague.com/1305.JPG

I have traded a Predator for a Surge because the Surge was too stable. I currently have a dyed surge that I can't throw, it's more stable than a flick.

My throw is about 95% snap (somehow I'm still able to get 300+), so the FLX is perfect for me.

I hear ya, I loved the grip for sure! I personally just had problems with the consistency for some odd reason? I dunno.... ALL the other FLX molds ihave are VERY consistent. Smooth like butter.. It might just be the batch of crack I was smokin at the time?....:\

I hear ya, I loved the grip for sure! I personally just had problems with the consistency for some odd reason? I dunno.... ALL the other FLX molds ihave are VERY consistent. Smooth like butter.. It might just be the batch of crack I was smokin at the time?....:\
C'mon man. No smokin' of ANY kind allowed t disc golf courses!!! :p

I, too, am curious about the "best" plastic to get for the Surge...
I had a slightly worn Star Wraith that was eaten by a tree, and I'm looking for a replacement.

I thought the stability for Surges were:
LEAST------------------stability-------------------MOST
SS Surge < Supercolor < Z Surge < ESP Surge < FLX Surge

Is this wrong?

I also have a couple of FLX discs, and I like the feel of them, but I can't help but think that when you're applying a large amount of snap on a flexing disc, you're going to lose power in that transfer due to the disc absorbing that in its flex...

Last edited:
I keep trying to get my daughter's Nate Doss hot pink Surge but she's not having it. It's hot pink and just like daddy's Surge discs. I carry one in ESP and one in Z and I love 'em both.

I, too, am curious about the "best" plastic to get for the Surge...
I had a slightly worn Star Wraith that was eaten by a tree, and I'm looking for a replacement.

I thought the stability for Surges were:
LEAST------------------stability-------------------MOST
SS Surge < Supercolor < Z Surge < ESP Surge < FLX Surge

Is this wrong?

I also have a couple of FLX discs, and I like the feel of them, but I can't help but think that when you're applying a large amount of snap on a flexing disc, you're going to lose power in that transfer due to the disc absorbing that in its flex...

Honestly I'd say the Z is the most stable then the FLX, then Esp.?? My opinions aren't always the best. I've been kicked out of a few bars..:)

Hmmm. No love for the FLX here. I find it to be more accurate than my Z, and I only get about 20-30 feet less distance.

Well, since I can't quite be sure which I'll like best without throwing them, I decided to buy the following
Z Surge - 174g
ESP Surge - 173g
FLX ESP Surge - 174g
Star Wraith - 175g

I'm hoping one of these discs will fly like my Star Wraith. ;)

I have and use a Z , ESP & FLX. I like the ESP a little better than the Z. A little bit grippier so I get a hair more control and distance with it. But I chose the FLX. Nothing flies like a FLX Surge SS. I can get it further on an annie line better than any other driver. And its a great tail wind driver too. The downside is the FLX is a little less forgiving on a poor release.