• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Throw of the Week

It was within the last seven days so we'll say my best of the week. Hole 18 Optimist-Peter Pan Emporia KS I throw a decent buzzz but it fades out early so I'm left with a upshot instead of a putt. I'm behind a tree about ninety feet out. I stradle out and throw a big hyzer line with my Wizard. Nothing but chains. Not the ideal deuce but still a two on the card.

Not so much one specific shot, but last Tuesday I played 7 rounds (117 holes) on 7 different courses and wound up close to or under par for the day. That's especially significant because 5 of the courses I'd never played, and a 6th had been almost completely redesigned.

I'll go to a little bit over a week ago because I haven't gotten out much in the past week. But hole 13 at Brengle Terrace Park. The basket is a little bit to the left and ~270' out. I throw a low hyzer with a buzzz and have it flip up and glide right towards the basket. Hits the basket and falls down for an easy birdie.

This is the hole:
9bb325df.jpg

That's a sweet hole to get a putt on. I usually just try to place my drive at the opening to the green to make the 3 easy on myself. Doesn't take much to turn that hole into a 4.

I agree. I was extra happy that I didn't end in the shule especially since the locals I was with wanted to play from the long tees.

Hole 18 at New Quarter Park from long to short I parked it on my second shot for a drop in 3. Mind you this a 804 ft hole that the last 120 are in the woods with a hard anny.

Well on saturday I played Lions Club in rolla, and on hole 14 a 426' hole that plays straight ahead then left and kinda back toward the tee, I threw my first shot just short of the opening to see the basket/ have an easy upshot, so i was on the edge of the woods with no real look. It was the first round of a tournament and I decided to try to throw a thumber through this little tiny gap I wasn't even sure was there, rather than throwing a little pitch out and playing it safe. Well I ended up hitting the gap perfectly and putting it under the basket for the drop in 3

Last Saturday I played Wilbur Young in Blue Springs MO in hellacious winds that had me chasing my plastic into the schule on many occasions. One hole (don't recall which, but it must have been on the back nine) I threw a hail-Mary spike hyzer from deep in the trees, couldn't see the basket but I knew it was out there somewhere ... ran out to try to see where my disc landed but no dice - too many trees in the way.

"Oh well, it's probably buried again," I thought as I picked up my bag.

Made my way to the green and there was my disc, six feet from the pin and nothing but air between me and the chains.

Earlier in the week I purchased numerous dyed discs with a previous tournament winnings. I was going for a complete set of the same dye but came up a TeeBird short. I have a very similar TeeBird already on my wall because it is so perfectly beat in, already has one ace on it, and nearly claimed at least ten more in its career. It made it to the wall just so that I do not lose it.

From time to time when I am certain I will not lose it, I will take it off the wall just for the fun of it, which is what I did this weekend so I can "complete" this set of dyed discs for this Saturday's round.

While I was having trouble reigning in the other discs, this disc performed to absolute perfection, surprising even myself. With it I parked a nearly impossible second shot on BRP #7, almost parked #11, made it easily across the water on #17, and almost aced Hole 24. Not the best overall round I have ever had, so we went to Ham Lake for a few more holes afterward. Using that same TeeBird I nearly aced Hole #3 and #7 twice. I am talking about legitimate within inches of the chains, ready-to-cheer like a madman long and legitimate aces.

The scores may not reflect it, but I had some great shots on Saturday.

Not the normal best throw, but I'll be a long time forgetting it. Threw a Rancho Roc off the tee on Hole 10 of Legacy Park in Lee's Summit, MO Saturday. Winds were 25 to 30 miles an hour. That Roc had been doing pretty good in the wind compared to most everything else. This time the wind, coming from the left, knocked it down and it rolled for a while. Then the wind picked it up and it flew again for a at least 10 feet before coming back down and rolling a bit more. I've seen the wind push some discs several hundred feet rolling a few times in the last month, but this is the first time I've seen a disc fly again after being on the ground! That was a 500+ foot hole and thanks to the extra distance from the first throw I made it in 4, where the way the day had been going up to that point I expected to have a 6. :D

Maybe more on topic, I do remember finally getting the hang of throwing my Champ Viking Thursday at Swope Park in KC. I had about given up on it because it seemed like I could not get it to fly like my DX Viking. Because of the wind Thursday I decided to give it another try. I think on Hole 9 I forehanded it and it flew straight and far and didn't fade hard at the end. Then I was able to repeat that on several more holes. I had the best round I've had so far at Swope. :clap:

I think I had one throw this week that didn't hit a tree. I don't really remember it happening but it probably did.

Sinking 2 40+ foot putts directly into 25MPH winds with my wizard. One was for birdie, so that was my best shot this week. It was nasty windy in Illinois on Saturday which made for some crazy shots by some of the guys in my group.

The best throw I had was the roller I threw with my wizard on a blind hole. I lost the wizard and had to use the voodoo for the rest of the round. I hit 3 25+ putts I had missed earlier in the round with the wizard.

Hole 6 at Deer Lakes, dogleg right with OB to the right. The disc I used to throw on the hole (z wildcat) is too beat in and isn't stable enough for the shot I like to take, if I power down and sky it I usually just hyzer OB. So I decided to try the star excalibur that I can't throw b/c I'm a noodle arm and it is a meat hook, but I throw it RHFH and it sails 300 ft and just follows the fairway for the easy upshot and a drop in birdie 3, really pulled me out of a slump too as I was +5 after 5 holes and I finished at +2.

43f9c629.jpg

On my local course I had a bad throw off the tee, and I was right behind a palm tree with about 80-100 feet to the basket. Another palm tree was about 40 feet in front of the one I was behind, but was blocking an easy line for a normal throw. I threw my star coyote with an anhyzer, and went in.

This past Sunday, I was at Wills Park in Alpharetta and nearly had a skip ace on hole #6 which is 300ft slightly downhill. I used a Star San Marino Roc and threw a big RHBH hyzer. It skipped about 10ft from the basket and hit the middle of the basket. A few inches higher and it would have been my second ace ever. Oh well, it was an easy drop-in birdie and my best ever shot on that hole. Two of my kids were there to see it (my 6 year old son was impressed, but I think the moment was lost on my 2 year old daughter).

I work at a camp and so I play our private course any chance I get. Since it's designed for campers (ie. non-DGers), most holes are relatively short. So I pulled out the Ace Race Zep I got from JBryant and decided to run hole 4, a 205 ft. shot, but you have to clear the water slide that ends just a few feet in front of it. Zep starts out to the left and then pops up. Goes a little bit past flat, and I'm thinking, this might have a shot if it doesn't fade out... Sure enough, it held that line beautifully and settled down...a little too early. I hit the outside of the cage, but definitely the best shot I've had on that hole and my best shot of the week.

Hole 18 at New Quarter Park from long to short I parked it on my second shot for a drop in 3. Mind you this a 804 ft hole that the last 120 are in the woods with a hard anny.

Nice! I know this hole. I played it with the wife while driving through VA this summer when it was like 110 degrees. Didn't have a great round but finishing on that hole and making 3 helped make up for it. Two good shots and made a 30-35 footer into a lil headwind. What a beautiful park and really great course. I'd love to go back when it's slightly cooler than Hell.

some days it's no effort

This past Friday, a truck driver friend was in town, and decided to join myself and another friend, who I normally throw with. He had never thrown a disc before, and was getting maybe 50' or so to start with. I switched around discs and gave him some tips, and on the last hole, he threw a very pretty 200' throw, for his best ever.
We were at Todd Park in Austin, MN that day. On hole 6, I had my shot of the week, and as far as distance, my best ever. It's 439 to the tee, I usually throw 300-350max, I threw a very smooth rhfh shot, ending up 20' from the pin, approximately a 420' shot for me. It felt so good, and seemed to be effortless. I also had several other throws over 375' that day. I threw again on Saturday and I don't think I even hit the 350' mark all day.

This Monday, I cleared the pond on hole 1 at Maple Hill from the Blue tee. It's 350 to carry and about 12-15 feet downhill. I threw a low slight hyzer with my wraith that carried about 375 and skipped another 30 feet into the middle of the fairway.
Second round we played the Gold's. On hole one it's 475 to clear the pond but plays more downhill. I threw my Wraith again and came up about 20 feet short of clearing the pond. I retrieved my wraith and threw from the drop area. I made a 6 and started well off on the wrong side of par.

I also made a 4 on the difficult 12th hole from Gold. My buddy made a three on 17 from Gold.

This thread is somewhat self-serving. Although, it's fun to share and to hear about all of your experieces.

First ace ever!
Big left hander, 295', into the tree line where the basket sits.
Saw it skip and then CHING!!

Latest posts