• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Town/Small City for Disc Golf

That's not a negative for me. Though I don't have any true p2p courses I play regularly, I have no problem paying for good golf.

I see that it can be for most dger's but I dont mind it at all. When you go there, you know you and everyone else there is there to play dg. No one walking their dogs and picnics to throw over. A few of them are open in the winter and groom their courses. I love it.

It isn't "the best" but I think it is worth mentioning Pagosa Springs, CO. 2 nice 18 hole course in a county with a population of 12,000.

Morton, il. <17,000 people Northwoods park and another course being built at Westwood park 3 min away. McNaughton(McNasty) 15 min away. Lake Eureka 15 min. Ledgestone Ins. A-tier played at Northwoods and McNasty each September.

Morton, Il. seems way too close to Peoria to not be a suburb.

I grew up in Central IL, Morton is a considered a suburb of Peoria.
The metro area is comparable in size to Waterloo/ CF, and is a great hotspot of disc golf.

Taos, NM ---- under 6k population, six 3.5+ courses within 40 miles

Rupert, ID ---- under 6k pop, 4.29 local course, a bunch of courses and Yellowstone driving distance

Albemarle, NC ---- 15k pop, 4.20 local course, 40 miles from Charlotte

Claryville, NY ---- under 3k pop, getting a new Houck course, tons of NE courses in a days drive +NYC, Boston, DC, etc.

anywhere between Portland and Augusta, Maine

Tupelo MS, around 35k population. Eight courses within 10 miles, five additional courses within 20 miles and a grand total of 20 courses within 50 miles of the center of Tupelo. All but four courses are 18 or more holes, Veterans Park has two courses on site as well as Tombigbee State Park. Another State Park the Trace has a Gold level championship layout and about 40 miles away is Tishomingo State park with 3 courses. If you wish to travel a little farther there is Wall Doxey State park with another 2 course at around 57 miles out of Tupelo. I live about 45 minutes from Tupelo and can travel to nearly all of these course in less than an hour.

Those courses look nice, but nothing over 4.0.

If you go play those courses you will finish wondering why they are rated so low. Most Michigan courses for my experience are under-rated. Especially when compared to their IN over-rated counter-parts. Trust me if those courses were in WI, they would easily have a 0.5 or greater rating increase. The only course in MI I have played that isn't under-rated is Flip City and personally I think it is over-rated.

[Insert hometown here]

OK....Bremerton in Kitsap County, WA. Population 40,000.
N.A.D. Park= 4.0
Kitsap Fairgrounds=3.0 (under-rated IMO.)
Bud Pell @ Ross Farm= 3.5
These 3 courses are within 8 miles of one another. Another course, Shelton Springs=4.5, is about a 45 min. drive. Also a couple of 2.5 disc courses, too. Year round golf around here, too, no problem. :thmbup:

A bit exaggerated, but there is 2 more that are private that aren't listed. Paulie (owner of Phantom Falls and designer of just about every course in the area) is a busy man with lots of friends!

Pine/Conifer has some amazing courses, and would be awesome to live there...if you are independently wealthy. Not a ton of work in the area, but it's not too far from Denver.

I would cast a vote for Colorado Springs, and not just because I live in Fountain (which is a suburb.) The Springs is big enough to have all the amenities of a big city, but small enough that you don't get lost in a big city life. There are four courses in the Springs, two in the suburbs, and 30 minutes from Jellystone. It's an hour to Denver and all their courses, and about an hour and a half to the Pine and Conifer area. Going south, you are 45 minutes from Pueblo which has two courses. There are plans for a few other courses in the Springs area, and a revised course on Ft. Carson.

There's a great club in town, and of course the Pine/Conifer area has the Foothill Flyers club. In Denver there is Mile High Disc Golf Club, which has tons of members and is very active.

Really anyplace in Colorado is a great place to live. Especially, given the recent law passage, if you enjoy recreational activities other than disc golf.

Holy smokes, isn't the Springs like 420,000+?? ;)

How about Athol, Idaho?

I will be spending the summer at Farragut State Park, which has four separate courses rated 3.0, 3.5, 3.5 and 4.0. Within 30 miles there are three more courses rated 3.0 or better.

If you get tired of those you can scoot over to Spokane, WA (31 miles and 200,000+ population) which has six more courses rated 3.0 or better.

Gonna be a great summer...

I think it's more like 600,000 if you count the surrounding areas. But like I said, it doesn't have a big city feel.

I love Colorado Springs but there's no way a metro areas with over a half million residents can have anything resembling the feel of a small city or town. Wayyyy too many people!

I'll agree with Jeff here. Not my hometown (yet), but there are some of the best courses in the state in that area.

Stevens Point, WI with a population around 24k. Standing Rocks and Yulga pop out right away. Big Eau Plaine not too far away either. Really, central Wisconsin is a pretty decent area with no big cities to be found.

OK....Bremerton in Kitsap County, WA. Population 40,000.
N.A.D. Park= 4.0
Kitsap Fairgrounds=3.0 (under-rated IMO.)
Bud Pell @ Ross Farm= 3.5
These 3 courses are within 8 miles of one another. Another course, Shelton Springs=4.5, is about a 45 min. drive. Also a couple of 2.5 disc courses, too. Year round golf around here, too, no problem. :thmbup:

BREMERTON, WASHINGTON Population 39,000.

I will agree with Jeff. I just visited Bremerton last week and wish I had more time to play all the courses in the area. IMHO, these area courses are underrated. Both Bud Pell and Shelton Springs are top notch courses with top notch amenities. Both went immediately onto my favorites list.

There are also 41 courses listed within 50 miles on the DGCR search.

Battle Creek, MI is pretty solid. Within 15 minutes of my house, there is Irving Park (3.09, lots of course improvements since the first ratings were posted, should be higher!), Begg Park (3.31), Leila Arboretum (3.50, brand new course, will be one of the best pro level courses in SW MI once it gets broken in a bit), and Coldbrook Park (3.73, in Climax technically, but a very quick drive). We're also a half an hour away from the Kalamazoo courses, and 45 minutes away from Victory Park in Albion and Hammond Hill in Hastings. Very underrated, come check us out!!

Latest posts