• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Town/Small City for Disc Golf

BREMERTON, WASHINGTON Population 39,000.

I will agree with Jeff. I just visited Bremerton last week and wish I had more time to play all the courses in the area. IMHO, these area courses are underrated. Both Bud Pell and Shelton Springs are top notch courses with top notch amenities. Both went immediately onto my favorites list.

There are also 41 courses listed within 50 miles on the DGCR search.

Good to see somebody beat me to Bremo now I don't have to type

I'm gonna throw my hat in for Tupelo, MS---the nearest over 50K pop base is Birmingham, almost 100 mi. away.
Bremerton's a great choice, but it does have a pop base of 2 million just 7 mi. across the Sound, so its basically an armed forces bedroom community of Seattle.

Flagstaff, AZ (admittedly biased)

4 Courses within a half hour, 3 within 5 minutes driving with no traffic

2 More Courses by 2016 - Fort Tuthill and the Nordic Center of Northern Arizona

A club that keeps growing and a 20-25 turnout every week at league. Not too shabby for only 45,000 people and it is one of the most beautiful places in the US

Flagstaff, AZ (admittedly biased)

4 Courses within a half hour, 3 within 5 minutes driving with no traffic

2 More Courses by 2016 - Fort Tuthill and the Nordic Center of Northern Arizona

A club that keeps growing and a 20-25 turnout every week at league. Not too shabby for only 45,000 people and it is one of the most beautiful places in the US

I love Flagstaff, I've only played the old NAU layout and McP so I'm wondering. How many of the 4 courses are actually different? The two I've seen almost all the holes could be described as wooded ponderosa pines with elevation change.

Snowbowl is very different than the other 3 "in town" courses. The terrain and play is very similar. However, in my opinion, they do offer a good bit of variety, especially when you compare Flagstaff to Vegas or Phx. That is a big reason why I am pushing for a new course at the Nordic Center. It could be a true championship level course.

That includes the university and outlying areas. . .

Universities bring in lots of drunk, careless students, so that's still a negative for me. But I live in Iowa City, home of the #1 party school where half the students seem to be idiotic rich arrogant a*holes from the Chicagoland area, so maybe the students down there aren't as bad.

BREMERTON, WASHINGTON Population 39,000.

I will agree with Jeff. I just visited Bremerton last week and wish I had more time to play all the courses in the area. IMHO, these area courses are underrated. Both Bud Pell and Shelton Springs are top notch courses with top notch amenities. Both went immediately onto my favorites list.

There are also 41 courses listed within 50 miles on the DGCR search.

I'll throw another vote out for my southern neighbours in the West Sound. If I take the ferry into Port Angeles, it's like an hour long trip down scenic backroads into disc golf/craft beer nirvana!

Love that place! :thmbup:

But I live in Iowa City, home of the #1 party school where half the students seem to be idiotic rich arrogant a*holes from the Chicagoland area, so maybe the students down there aren't as bad.

All the dumb kids from Chicago who can't get into the good IL schools go to Iowa because they don't want to get mugged at NIU....used to love partying at Iowa though, so many dumb, easy Chicago girls :D

All the dumb kids from Chicago who can't get into the good IL schools go to Iowa because they don't want to get mugged at NIU....used to love partying at Iowa though, so many dumb, easy Chicago girls :D

Is that it? You guys send your idiots over here? :thmbdown: :D

How about the state capitol; Charleston, WV? Just over 51,000. It's got a nice 9 at Little Creek, Redeemer just became a 27 plus with Steve's amazing shop you can't go wrong. Also at least 2 courses are set to be in the ground by next season, possibly more. For WV, 50,000 is a whole lot of people, so the city has about everything you'd need, plus all the guys from the local club are real cool. I drive up about once a week and it's definitely worth the hour drive for me. You are also within 4 hrs drive or less to places like North Carolina, Virginia, Northern WV with the classics like Paw Paw and Seth Burton Memorial, Western PA, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and about 6 hours to the
coast and the rest of society haha.

you should feel lucky....only college town easier than Iowa is UW-Madison from my experience.
One-eyed Jacks still around? or Summit? Very high percentage bars back in my day.....I went to Iowa State.

I'll put in a vote for Nacogdoches, Texas. Around 35,000 people (including a small college) and 3 awesome courses.

From experiences earlier in life, I will second the notion that UW-Madison girls are quite easy.

Hands down no question Flagstaff, Arizona. Three courses right in town, a ski resort course ten minutes outside of town, and a multitude of really well maintained tree courses. Oh and a super active club with lots of tournaments, and when the snow comes you can head down the hill to Phoenix and play in shorts and tshirts in January.

Not everyone wants to live in a big city or suburb. The best area/city for DG has been played out. What about the smaller places? What are some of the best towns/small cities under 50,000 for disc golf?

I'm not talking about suburbs either, people. I want to know about the best disc golf to be found in the lesser travelled areas. Places like Ludington, Michigan, with Flip City, Beauty/Beast/Goliath, Leviathan, Labyrinth...
Or Highbridge, Wisconsin. Or Pine, Co.

Lets not bring relative winter cold or summer heat into this either.

Best Towns/Small cities with at least three 3.5+ rated courses within a half hour drive.... Go!

Saaber

Are you moving away from Iowa City? Is that why you are inquiring about small towns with great disc golf?

Are you moving away from Iowa City? Is that why you are inquiring about small towns with great disc golf?

Eventually yes, but not for a few years.
I don't like large cities for living in. I was born in a town of 500 people, spent most of my life in a town with 10,000, and Iowa City with it's 65k+ is too big. But that's not why I started this thread; I have just seen a lot of best city/major metro area/zip code threads and realized that there are a lot of smaller, often overlooked areas with great golf.

Fort Madison, IA with Burlington, Keokuk, and Hamilton IL within 30 minutes. Four 3 disc courses and some other not so good ones.

Yup, I went to HS in the burbs and a bunch of the kids from my graduating class went to Iowa for the reasons Smyith mentioned.
(Go 'Clones).

Back on topic, Ames isn't a bad choice, I think it's around 50-60k with students, has a solid course with Stable Run and a great beginner course in Carroll Marty is on the other side of campus. Big Creek and Walnut Ridge are only 30 min away, too.