• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beyond Disc Golf

Definitely liked the second episode better than the first. I thought robdeforge's comments were sour grapes until I watched the episode. Don't really see the point of showcasing a place regular people aren't invited to in a travelogue show.

I've been to Tahoe many times (usually for skiing, but have also been in the summer and played Zephyr) and absolutely love it there. That likely played into my enjoyment of the second episode.

I'll definitely be watching the third to see dgcr's own Martin D.

I didn't LOVE the 2nd episode, but I definitely liked it. Liked it much more than the 1st. I thought it really highlighted the "A lot of random people play disc golf" aspect that I think is pretty cool about the sport. Add to that a little history, the old makeshift basket shot, the random dubs culture, etc. Also thought it did a great job of highlighting that disc golf used to be and primarily still is about people who play disc golf getting courses put in. It isn't baseball where the larger community says "we need a field, we're gonna pay for one"...it's a couple folks who say "a course would look cool here, let's ask and then finance it bit by bit as people play".

Also thought it was nice to see the dichotomy from the first episode in terms of nature. First episode is like "this guy cuts down so many trees, he's a machine, you wouldn't believe how many trees this guy has killed to make this disc golf course"...to "we don't cut down trees, we find what works in harmony with nature".

The only thing missing was when he went to that cool little island and made some comment about how he feels like he's in "Lord of the Rings" or something. How does nobody shout out "NERD" super loudly at him?

this guy cuts down so many trees, he's a machine, you wouldn't believe how many trees this guy has killed to make this disc golf course"...to "we don't cut down trees, we find what works in harmony with nature".

They are different types of forest. I live in Missouri, if you didn't cut down trees to make a disc golf course here you probably wouldn't be able to throw 100'. In a pine forest the needles kill the underbrush and the limbs are much higher making it possible to build a course without taking out trees.

this guy cuts down so many trees, he's a machine, you wouldn't believe how many trees this guy has killed to make this disc golf course"...to "we don't cut down trees, we find what works in harmony with nature".

They are different types of forest. I live in Missouri, if you didn't cut down trees to make a disc golf course here you probably wouldn't be able to throw 100'. In a pine forest the needles kill the underbrush and the limbs are much higher making it possible to build a course without taking out trees.

They are. There's nothing particular WRONG with cutting down trees sometimes. It was just nice to see the flip side given the first episode brought it up so much about cutting them down. Episode 2 was a nice PR commercial about how disc golf can naturally fit into an environment without disturbing it really.

They are. There's nothing particular WRONG with cutting down trees sometimes. It was just nice to see the flip side given the first episode brought it up so much about cutting them down. Episode 2 was a nice PR commercial about how disc golf can naturally fit into an environment without disturbing it really.

I hear you there. I think it's really cool they were able to put a course in without taking any trees out. Pine (or whatever trees they were) forests are absolutely beautiful to me.

Hmmmm....is this Forestry?

Great 2nd episode, more intermingling with Disc Golfer's and Simon being invited outside the box with the fishing, pontoon boat ride to the island, and the pool hall put the stamp on "Beyond Disc Golf".

I hope you have some backstock on your minis Martin, because I think your gonna have a bunch of orders coming in. :thmbup:

Good episode, definitely not what I had expected from Wisconsin.

Edit: I would be interested to know what the other scripted part was, he seemed pretty relaxed.

Last edited:
Couple of my buddies are soill outlaws, I've definitely seen a few of them carrying minis on the course.

Great episode, I think this one has been my favorite so far. Episode 1 has been my least favorite.

Truly thought this was the best episode.

Awesome course. Love how Simon dug into Dewg's personal DG journey, from logging tons of courses, to designing Bald Eagle at Camp Pepin, meeting Kilgore to notch their 999 and 1000th courses together, making minis, and eventually Treasures of the Forrest.
Nice shout out to DGCR.

When Paul said Matt's looking all over the course for bits he can turn into art, I can just picture it.

I hope you have some backstock on your minis Martin, because I think your gonna have a bunch of orders coming in. :thmbup:
One would certainly think so.
I hope Matt's gonna be busy for quite a while.

Last edited:
Fantastic episode. I was very excited about this one and it didn't disappoint. :clap:

It's cool to see the process of how he makes these minis. They are truly works of art. I'd absolutely recommend checking them out. Matt's an awesome guy. He was actually the first fellow DGCR member I got to play a round with. Genuine nice dude. :thmbup:

Best one yet for sure. I could tell how passionate about both your art and especially experiencing new courses. The fact that playing them with new people or internet friends brings you such joy was probably the best part. I appreciated that they showed more than just another "private course guy" - of whom I'm insanely jealous - and again dove into the life of a not-so-average average disc golfer much like Capt in Lake Tahoe.

Also some greatness that you were able to recognize Forest and how much he meant to your disc golf experience. Many of us take our four-legged partners out discing more than our biped buddies, and sharing the outdoors with them is certainly beyond disc golf.