• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

bhadella's bag

bhadella

* Ace Member *
LHBH thrower in Charlotte, NC. Lots of wooded courses where I need tight anny (understable) turns to keep out of trouble on dogleg lefts. Most of my drives fall into the 300-350' range using higher speeds discs with very different shot paths (hyzer flip RoadRunner, meathook Destroyer, flexing Beast and Valkyrie). My fairways needs are covered well between Leopard (anny,hyzer flip) Teebird (hyzer) and TL/Buzzz dead straight shots. Looking for ideas for slower speed discs that I can shape shots with or keep real low and skip in. XD is pretty flippy now, Spider and Mako are fly too straight making them hard to shape. Rocs work well but fly a bit higher than I want. Maybe a Stingray or something non-Innova?

Distance Drivers
Blizzard Katana
Pro Destroyer
Star Wraith
Champion Orc
DX Beast
Star RoadRunner
Champion Valkryie

Fairways
Champion Teebird
Pro TL
Z XS
Star Leopard
ESP Buzz

Approach
DX Kite
Protostamp Spider
Star Mako
RC Pro Roc
DX Roc
DX XD

Putting/Short Stuff
Champion Aviar
Millenium Omega Super Soft x 2

Tomahawk/Thumber Only
Beat to Hell Discraft Tracer

Oh, forget to add:

Years playing/experience: 12 years
Lenghth: Drivers: 300-350', Fairways 250-300', Approach 200-250'

The biggest concern I see is mold minimization.

With drivers, the Wraith, Orc, Beast, and Valk are all in the same distance/speed range approximately. I'd probably pick up an more overstable Champ Wraith, to take the place of the Orc, and then maybe Pro Wraith to take the place of Valk, and the Star you already have if it's worn at all should overlap with the beast. The Katana and Destroyer, you probably get your max distance with, so that's up to you're own discretion. The RR is a solid turnover/roller so it should pair nicely with the wraiths.

With the FW drivers, I think the TL, XS and Leo are all pretty similar lines especially with the plastic chosen in each (maybe the Z XS might be more stable initially depending on age). I'd probably just go with Teebird and Leopard here, and then maybe a Banshee or Trident for something overstable.

For Mids, since you have a couple Rocs, I'd probably just go with Roc cycling to cover everything.

Been working diligently on my grip and form which has added some length to my throws and made it much easier to turnover/overpower discs.

Lenghth: Drivers: 325-375', Fairways 275-325', Midrange 250-300', Putters upto 250'

I've been working to insure that every disc in my bag fits a slot/use. Notice any holes that I may have?

Drivers
Blizzard Champion Boss 163g (Overstable)
Discmania S-Line PD Freak 175g (Stable with Fade)
Glow Champion Orc (Stable)
Champion Valkyrie 172g (Flex)
Star Wraith 169g (Understable)
Echo Star Roadrunner 175g (Rollers, Hyzer Flip)
Champion Firebird 175g (Forehand)

Fairway
Champion Teebird 175g (Overstable)
Star TL 175g (Stable)
Star Leopard 175g (Understable)
DX Teebird 166g (Rollers, Hyzer Flip)

Midrange
Champion Gator 175g (Overstable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable with Fade)
Discraft Z Buzzz 174g (Stable)
Star Mako 177g (Stable)
R-Pro Roc 176g (Understable)
Elite-X Comet 168g (Glidey Understable)

Putters
ESP FLX Zone 174g (Overstable Drive, Approach)
KC Pro Aviar 175g (Stable Drive, Approach)
Champion Aviar 175g (Understable Drive, Approach)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Utility
Discraft Competition Tracer (Thumber/Tomahawk)

As the others have pointed out, you have quite a few molds and could stand to simplify your bag a bit. The main way to go about this is buying some of the molds you already use in different plastics and beating some discs in. One idea would be like this:

Distance Drivers:
Champ Firebird - overstable
C-PD - stable/overstable
S-PD - stable
P-PD - stable/understable
Roadrunner/Valk - super flippy/rollers

This is again just my personal taste, I am all about mold minimization. I personally carry 4 destroyers and a firebird to cover all my distance driver needs. I think the PD would be a great disc for you to build around given your throwing distance.

Fairway Drivers:
Champ teebird - overstable
Champ teebird 170 - beat one in to be dead straight stable
DX teebird - flippy
Star Leopard - understable
Pro Leopard - 167-170 you're missing out if you don't try a pro leo out in the woods. Beat one in and it is a wonderful control driver. Nice glide, handles low lines well, and once it gets really flippy it will be money.

I think teebird and leopard are enough here. The TL is nice but there isnt enough of a gap between the TB and Leo to warrant carrying it as well.

Midrange:
Gator - overstable - probably can drop this if you continue to use the Zone.
Roc/Buzzz - stable (you can certainly keep both in the bag as well, the Roc is a bit more stable and has more fade than the Buzzz I'm sure).
Comet - understable

You could also invest in DX Rocs and start cycling them to flesh out your mids.

Putter:
Zone
Aviars

Utility

The advice above makes a ton of sense. To be honest; since so much of the play here in Charlotte is wooded I only pull a distance driver out a few holes a round. I've continued to search for shot shaping and distance and still haven't settled on the distance drivers. My evolving form has left me with a ton of carried but not used drivers. I do need to settle in on a mold. I'm happy with the Teebird/Leopard combo and a more flippy Leopard is a good idea.

My KC Aviar, KC Roc and TL are beat in to the point that I'm buying new (more overstable) discs and starting to cycle the KCs.

Drivers
Blizzard Champion Boss 163g (Overstable)
Glow Champion Orc (Stable)
Champion Valkyrie 172g (Flex)
Echo Star Roadrunner 175g (Rollers, Hyzer Flip)
Champion Firebird 175g (Forehand)

Fairway
Star TL 175g (Stable)
Star TL 175g (Understable)
Star Leopard 175g (Understable)

Midrange
Champion Gator 175g (Overstable, Spike Hyzer)
FLX ESP Drone (Overstable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable with Fade)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable)
Star Mako 177g (Stable)
R-Pro Roc 176g (Understable)

Putters
KC Pro Aviar 175g (Stable with Fade Drive)
Champion Aviar 175g (Understable Drive, Approach)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Utility

try a lighter pro leopard for understable fairway and a lighter champ firebird for the overstable spot. i normally throw drivers around 170-172g and have almost identical distance to you. i got a super beat 164g champ firebird and it is sooooooooooo $$$. so much easier to throw but way more glide. i'm not saying you need to go that light but you would be amazed at how much more workable that disc at less than max weight. still flies like a pig in the wind.

what's the difference between the drone and gator for you?

The gator is great for spike hyzers where you need the disc to stick. Drones are great for tight radius hyzers and are a better grip (for me) when sidearming.

Time for a update.

Drivers
Champ XCaliber 175g (Overstable)
Star Destroyer 171g (Straight with Fade)
Prodigy D3 168g (Straight with Fade)
S PD 175g (Straight with Fade)
Star Wraith 171g (Straight)
Prodigy D4 171g (Big Flex Drives, Neutral)

Fairway
Star TL 175g (Stable with fade)
Star TL 175g (Stable, Big S throws)
Star Leopard 175g (Slightly Understable, Annys)
Pro Leopard 171g (Understable)

Midrange
FLX ESP Drone (Way Overstable)
Z Buzzz 178g (Stable with Fade)
Roc3 180g (Stable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Understable)
Prodigy D4 (Straight)

Putters
KC Pro Aviar 175g (Understable Drive, Approach)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Utility

Monthly update to track my bag settling in.

Drivers
Champ Glow Firebird 175g (Way Overstable)
S PD 175g (Straight with Fade)
Prodigy D3 168g (Stable)
C TD 175g (Stable to Understable)

Fairway
Star Leopard 175g (Understable, Annys)
Pro Leopard 171g (Understable)

Midrange
Roc3 180g (Stable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable)
Prodigy M4 (Understable)

Putters
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Utility

Continuing to dial in the bag.

Drivers
Prodigy D3 168g (Stable)

Fairway
Star Leopard 175g (Straight, Tunnels)

Midrange
Roc3 180g (Stable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable)
Proton Axis 171g (Straight, Tunnels)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Straight, Tunnel shots)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Utility

I think the majority of my bag is finally set. The two slots I continue to test/change are my tunnel/hyzer flip midrange and driving putters.

I switch (indecisivly) between:

Midranges
Prodigy M4 180g
Proton Axis 171g
KC Roc 180g (beat)

Putter
Opto Pure 176g
KC Aviar 175g (beat)

I carry the KCs for turnover upshots (Roc for long ones, Aviar for shorter) and can use them for hyzer flips but the aren't as consistent as the Axis, M4 or Pure.

Well given that you already have a number of other Rocs and Aviars in your bag, maybe just work on those specific shots w/them so they become more consistent? Sounds like the Axis, M4 and Pure can drop out pretty safely so long as another disc like the Buzzz can handle your tunnel shots.

What utility is covered by that Tracer that isn't already handled by the rest of your bag? I would think any number of your other discs would make good OH discs as well.

I'm in full agreement that I need to drop the overlap between the KCs and the Pure/Axis. Another lunch round today and I'm dropping my straight KC Aviar and sticking with the Pure. Damn fine for tunnels, uber straight drives. Can't decide on the Axis/Roc slot though.

Tracer is more of a comfort thang. First disc I ever owned. Probably 15 years old. Beat it oblivion. Wonderful tommy/thumber disc as it's so beat that it tacos when it hits the ground or a tree, never get a bad roll away.

3 Rocs, a Buzzz and a Drone sounds like a good mid setup. So neither of the KC Aviars or the DX do tunnels as well as the Pure huh? Well, you didn't drop a mold, but you are dropping a disc. Keep the Roc over the other 2 and you will be below 20 discs :)

Another monthly update. Playing the Charlotte Amateur Championship this weekend so a few of my standard Distance Drivers will get pulled from the bag as there is no room to throw them at Elon Angry, Winget or Idlewild.

Drivers
Prodigy D3 168g (Stable)

Fairway
Champion Glow Teebird 175g (Overstable)
Star Leopard 175g (Straight, Tunnels)

Midrange
KC Pro Roc 180g (Overstable)
Roc3 180g (Slightly Overstable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Straight, Tunnel shots)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

I won't carry the XCal, D3 or D4 this weekend but do for longer courses. I accidentally left my Tracer on a course and it hasn't been returned. Pure isn't going anywere, awesome disc. I'd take my KCs out and only carry the Pure but it has so much glide that it can get me into trouble on upshots. Decided to yank the Axis and D4 from the bag and stick to hyzerflipping my flippy KC Roc for tunnels.

Looking at your last bag lineup plus the messages right after, looks like these were your only change.

Midrange Swapped Axis for OS KC Pro Roc

Putters Added Stable KC Pro Aviar

Sounds like this bag is pretty well dialed in at this point. Unless U lose some of your well broken in discs and want a quick replacement that does what they did, I think you're set.

Looking at your last bag lineup plus the messages right after, looks like these were your only change.

Midrange Swapped Axis for OS KC Pro Roc

Putters Added Stable KC Pro Aviar

Sounds like this bag is pretty well dialed in at this point. Unless U lose some of your well broken in discs and want a quick replacement that does what they did, I think you're set.

I'm definitely in a good spot mentally with the bag. I've been thru a ton of churn finding the right combos but am really happy with the result. Using my aviars, rocs, leopards and TLs in various states of wear from slightly overstable to flippy. I have my overstable/trouble shot discs in zones, drones, firebirds and xcals. Happy with D3 and D4 for distance drivers and pures for putter driving.

Latest posts